Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Passenger Trains > Hospital Train?

Date: 11/25/02 09:50
Hospital Train?
Author: Aces

Through Burke, VA at approx. 12:15 PM today, two Amtrak units pulling several Superliner cars, ( 6 or 7), with the top sections of each car covered with white tarps. Bringing up the rear were 5 or 6 Amtrak mail cars that were not covered and looked normal in all respects. Is this train heading for Beech Grove for car repairs, possibly?
Will appreciate any info..
Ace S.

Date: 11/25/02 10:22
Re: Hospital Train?
Author: pismobum

if you got any of the super car numbers, it would help answer your question

Date: 11/25/02 10:37
Re: Hospital Train? - yes, it is...
Author: throbbingunits

The MHCs on the rear are needed to brake a
train with brakeless passenger rolling stock.
Beech Grove bound on the route of #51.

Date: 11/25/02 12:36
Author: proamtrak

Any word on the cars being there now? They getting busy on the repairs yet guys?

Date: 11/25/02 12:55
Author: prr60

proamtrak wrote:

> Any word on the cars being there now? They getting busy on
> the repairs yet guys?
>

Have they even started the repairs yet?

It would seem that they could have chosen some lesser damaged cars and made a PR splash by fixing them, rolling them out the door, and putting them back into service with the press taking pictures. Unless some cars have been repaired and put into service quietly (not very likely), I can\'t image that if work had been started when Gunn said "go" that there wouldn\'t be some evidence of real progress by now.

Date: 11/25/02 16:05
Author: ddavies

The cars are Kensington cars, which by the nature that they are on the rails now (although without brakes) are not badly damaged, they just were not at Beach Grove to start to fix.

They were covered with tarps on top, like the windows were out...duh, that\'s how the poeple had to get out, was through the open windows :-(

Date: 11/25/02 20:41
Author: P

Is this train running on the same schedule as the Cardinal?

If I knew where Burke, VA was, I could look on the timetable for #51 and figure it out.

Date: 11/26/02 04:47
Author: hoops

They need to have them in BG to review the work that is needed. Hope to see the work start soon if it has not already.

Date: 11/26/02 11:04
Re: Hospital Train? - link to a pic
Author: throbbingunits

Date: 11/26/02 12:41
Re: Hospital Train is Cap Limited
Author: dcorreia

The cars are the damaged cars from the Capitol Limited. My guess that they were shopped here at Ivy City to make sure they can make the trip to Beech Grove.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0482 seconds