Home Open Account Help 173 users online

Passenger Trains > "Lincoln Service River Runner"

Date: 05/14/22 18:03
"Lincoln Service River Runner"
Author: sethamtrak

Effective Monday May 23rd, it does appear that trains 303/313 are now one thru service train 319 CHI-STL-KCY. 314/304 are now one through service KCY-STL-CHI. 

The choice is now yours. You can take the direct way via the chief, or decide to spend your whole day riding the rails with Amtrak. 

Date: 05/14/22 20:47
Re: "Lincoln Service River Runner"
Author: jberlin

As a result of the change, replacement trains 318/319 will not be available for switching private cars at STL. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/22 20:49 by jberlin.

Date: 05/14/22 20:52
Author: jp1822

It was run like this - as a through train - before. With no second frequency - for the River Runner - makes sense! Better utilization of corridor equipment. 

Date: 05/15/22 06:40
Author: Passfanatic

Look at the bright side though. For those people who are starting out their trip in the Greater Chicago area as well as state capitol of Illinois and are heading to stations like Kirkwood, Washington, and Jefferson will have their one seat ride back. It's a shame that the second trip isn't returning, if it ever does. I'm sure that the majority of people using Amtrak between Chicago and Kansas City will likely continue to use the Southwest Chief as it is much faster.

Date: 05/15/22 07:41
Author: amtrakbill

The state of Missouri restored funding for a second train - anyone know when it will start?

Date: 05/15/22 10:02
Author: livesteamer

I doubt we will see Missouri pay for a second round trip of the River Runner...no support for it in Jefferson City

Posted from Android

Marty Harrison
Knob Noster, MO

Date: 05/15/22 10:55
Author: wister6813

The Missouri House (142-10) and Senate (28-5) passed bills to restore the second River Runner. I don't if Gov Parson has signed yet. If approved, the Service to resume on August 1.  

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/22 11:46 by wister6813.

Date: 05/15/22 12:26

My first and last time that I rode the Missouri River Runner was in April of 2015. I took the first morning westbound from STL-KCY and from what I remember, the train had pretty healthy ridership. It would be nice if there could be travel time reduced from the schedule for the River Runner. Westbound Train # 313 is carded to do the trip in 5 hours and 40 minutes and driving from STL-KCY on I-70 takes three hours and forty minutes in little or no traffic.

Date: 05/15/22 18:15
Author: GP25

I know this might be a little off topic.

But has there ever been talks of running a direct Chicago-Kansas City service?

I think having a more direct train would be a nice addition along the route.

Jerry Martin
Los Angeles, CA
Central Coast Railroad Festival

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/22 20:10 by GP25.

Date: 05/15/22 18:59
Author: kbmiflyer

jp1822 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It was run like this - as a through train -  before. With no second frequency - for the River  Runner - makes sense! Better utilization of  corridor equipment. 

It was called the Ann Rutledge in the past, it was discountinued as a through service in 2006.

Date: 05/15/22 20:17
Author: MaryMcPherson

GP25 Wrote:
> But has there ever been talks of running a direct
> Chicago-Kansas City service?

You mean the Southwest Chief?

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Date: 05/16/22 06:09
Author: GP25

Yes. A CHI-KC Only train, using the same route as the SW Chief.

MaryMcPherson Wrote:
> GP25 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > But has there ever been talks of running a
> direct
> > Chicago-Kansas City service?
>
> You mean the Southwest Chief?

Jerry Martin
Los Angeles, CA
Central Coast Railroad Festival

Date: 05/16/22 06:38
Author: mundo

Another possible improvement is better menu.
Three years ago, connecting from #4 at KCY rode the train and found a very limited selection in snack car.
 Attendant said with sales so slow, some items were not stocked due to waste.

Limited restock items often short at STL.
So coming out of Chicago, this could improve...hope  so.

Ed

Date: 05/16/22 14:42

We will have to see about the improvements in the cafe car menu on the Lincoln Service River Runner. We will have to see how much dwell time will be carded into the schedule for CHI-KCY Lincoln Service River Runner trains. I have a feeling that at the very least, 20 minutes will be carded into the schedule. That 20 minutes would account for people detraining and embarking. Plus I have a feeling that St. Louis will be a crew change point for the Lincoln Service River Runner trains. I know that STL is a crew change point for the Texas Eagle trains. I'm sure that Amtrak will pad the schedule between Alton and St. Louis for Southound Train # 319 and than from Kirkwood to St. Louis for Northbound # 318. When 110 mph is implemented between Joliet and Alton very soon, we can expect the travel times to be reduced even further between those two stations.

Date: 05/17/22 14:00
Author: kbmiflyer

Somewhat oddly, it looks like the Southbound / Westbound train 319 river runner has 15 minutes dwell time (arrive 2:50, depart 3:05), but the Eastbound/Northbound train 318 has a 40 minute dwell (arrive 2:20 depart 3:00).   This may be due to the amount of schedule padding in the Lincoln Service trains.

Date: 05/17/22 16:34

I went onto Amtrak's app and plugged in arrivals and departures of those Amtrak trains at STL but unfortunately got nothing as of tonight. I don't think the schedule really needs to say 40 minutes layover at STL for the eastbound. If it was scheduled for 15 minutes at STL just like the southbound with padding into STL from Kirkwood, then that would be fine. Here in the greater NYC area, Amtrak trains that are running on the Northeast Corridor and continuing north of NYP, typically are scheduled to layover at NYP for 15 minutes. There is padding in the schedule between NWK and NYP and then NYP to both New Rochelle and Stamford. I've ridden plenty of Amtrak trains from Newark Penn Station to cities in New England that might have departed NWK a little behind schedule but arrive into NYP within 5 minutes of the scheduled time.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0623 seconds