Home Open Account Help 361 users online

Passenger Trains > AutoTrains annulled today

Date: 05/17/22 07:50
AutoTrains annulled today
Author: GenePoon

After a cascading series of delays to one of the two AutoTrain sets, Amtrak has annulled today's 52(17) and 53(17).

AutoTrain 53(15) arrived Sanford 815pm, 10 hr 16 min late.

It had departed Lorton 8 1/2 hours late. Cause: late arrival of 52(14), which departed Sanford 1130pm (sched 500pm); it arrived Lorton at around 330pm on May 15 (sched 959am). That train was late due to late arrival of 53(13) which departed Lorton 1218am, 7 hr 18min late, arriving Sanford 730am on May 14, 9 1/2 hours late. That train was late due to late arrival of 52(12) which departed Sanford 722pm, 2 hr 22 min late, arriving Lorton 733pm, 9 1/2 hours late; it was delayed because it broke down.

AutoTrain generally takes at least about seven hours to turn, though one recent turn took only about five heroic hours. But this kind of lateness is hard to catch up on, and it was this same set that had the five hour turn. There were probably some issues that were in need of attention and heroism only goes so far.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/22 07:57 by GenePoon.

Date: 05/17/22 08:25
Re: AutoTrains annulled today
Author: Lackawanna484

The Sanford and Lorton terminal crews are wonderful in getting trains back on the railroad, but there's a limit to what they can do.  It makes a big difference if the "peak direction" train is the one critically late. A light load off peak direction train can be unloaded and cleaned more quickly.

I don't believe Amtrak routinely swaps out a locomotive set to expedite a delayed train, but that could make a difference, too. There's enough power at Sanford to do that, but not at Lorton.

Date: 05/17/22 09:48
Author: icancmp193

This affirms the answer to my question of a couple weeks ago as to what happens when they get too far behind on their schedules.

TJY

Date: 05/17/22 11:15
Author: ctillnc

This happens every two or three months. 

Date: 05/17/22 14:56
Author: ts1457

I feel sorry for those with spoiled travel plans.

Date: 05/17/22 15:12
Author: Electroliner

I agree  TS1457,  Something like this can really screw up a vacation.  Was there sufficient room on the next ones to reschedule, or did many people say screw it and jump on the wonderful I-5?  (I'm ruminating)  Too bad they have no back-up capability.

Date: 05/17/22 15:45
Author: PHall

Electroliner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree  TS1457,  Something like this can really
> screw up a vacation.  Was there sufficient room
> on the next ones to reschedule, or did many people
> say screw it and jump on the wonderful I-5?  (I'm
> ruminating)  Too bad they have no back-up
> capability.

Uhh, the I-5 is on the west coast... Auto Train customers would be driving the ever lovely I-95.

Date: 05/17/22 15:50
Author: ProAmtrak

And nobdy can explain why they were very late which led to this? Give me a break!

Date: 05/17/22 15:52
Author: GenePoon

ProAmtrak Wrote:
> And nobdy can explain why they were very late
> which led to this? Give me a break!

Maybe nobody explained it to the poor victims.  Of course, WE know!

They are offered reaccommodation on a later train.  I don't know what happens to passengers and vehicles arriving without notification or with nowhere nearby to stay overnight, such as those on the road driving a distance to the terminal, say, from Boston or Philadelphia to Lorton. 

Amtrak really should offer them all a complimentary overnight hotel stay; I can't see a string of cars and vans parked on the side of a road near the terminal, looking like a homeless encampment! 

And what of motorcycle riders? 

A lot of passengers probably give up on Amtrak, accept a refund and an additional voucher, and set off along I-95. If anyone REALLY knows, please chime in!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/22 15:53 by GenePoon.

Date: 05/17/22 15:55
Author: Electroliner

See, I hate hate I-95 so much, I couldn't type it in.  Anyway, sorry about that!

Date: 05/17/22 16:56

GenePoon Wrote:
(SNIP)
>
> A lot of passengers probably give up on Amtrak,
> accept a refund and an additional voucher, and set
> off along I-95. If anyone REALLY knows, please
> chime in!

My sister and my aunt both became never agains after their second or third "service failure" on Auto-Train.  In my sister's case, the train was due in six hours late to Lorton, so it would be 9-10 pm before it was ready to go south. She checked in, and canceled. Got in the car, and headed south.

My aunt had been irritated since Amtrak did away with the wine tasting for sleeping class passengers. One long delay, and one cancel / rebook later she became a never again.  Ships her car by auto carrier, and flies down.

Date: 05/17/22 18:51
Author: PCCRNSEngr

Had friends that came north last week on one of the delayed runs. They went south in October for the first time and had a good trip except for hitting a car just north of Sanford that delayed them for about three hours. After the trip north they told me never again, One thing they missed having dinner in the diner at a reasonable time and having to eat in their room with just couple of meal selection. I have a planned trip to Florida in February and have decided not to take the Silver Star or the Auto Train and most likely will drive.

Date: 05/17/22 20:45
Author: wa4umr

GenePoon Wrote:

>
> AutoTrain generally takes at least about seven
> hours to turn, though one recent turn took only
> about five heroic hours. But this kind of
> lateness is hard to catch up on, and it was this
> same set that had the five hour turn. There were
> probably some issues that were in need of
> attention and heroism only goes so far.

I don't know if the crew that cleans the cars are Amtrak employees or contractors, but it they were contractors, offer them a flat rate to clean the cars. If they take 7 hours to clean the train, then that's what it takes.  If they can work their fingers to the bone and get it done in 5 hours and go home and still make the same as if they had worked 7 hours.  There would still have to be some quality control such ad the conductor doing a walk-threw and noting any deficiencies.    If the delay is due to Amtrak Mechanical, then that would be a different story.  

John

Date: 05/18/22 01:48
Author: justalurker66

The question of which five or seven hours should play into any award of "heroism". The train on time means the cleaners (and other maintenance) can be done on schedule and people can get home to their familes (or off to the bar - whatever they do when not working on Amtrak trains). The train late means their schedule changes and their lives are interrupted.

Date: 05/18/22 05:05

I've always believed the car loaders and train cleaners are contract staff.

On occasion, when The train arrives very early at Lorton, we wait on the train until the loaders arrive on the property. Drives the smokers nuts!

Posted from Android

Date: 05/18/22 07:10
Author: engineerinvirginia

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> I've always believed the car loaders and train
> cleaners are contract staff.
>
> On occasion, when The train arrives very early at
> Lorton, we wait on the train until the loaders
> arrive on the property. Drives the smokers nuts!
>
> Posted from Android

On an occasion where we showed up quite early in Sanford....we had to sit on train while waiting for the yard crew to come on duty....to cut off the autoracks and double the coaches over for detraining. As a railroader myself I get it....but I wondered about others on tran whether they understood. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0633 seconds