Home Open Account Help 382 users online

Passenger Trains > FL: An opinion on BrightLine crossing safety

Date: 05/17/22 09:53
FL: An opinion on BrightLine crossing safety
Author: Lackawanna484

The TC Palm, a Gannett property in Stuart FL offers a commentary about BrightLine crossing safety.  In a nutshell, the columnist says that public money should be spent, alongside BrightLine's money, to harden the crossings. More gates, more striping, etc.  But, enforcement of the current laws is also required.  It's against the law to hang over a crossing, or go under or around the gates. Period.

Any argument in Florida which hinges on obeying the law is on thin ice to begin with, But, railroad crossing violations aren't a priority. And some small % of Florida Man will go around the down gates. Regardless.

When BrightLine was under construction in Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties, the line's operator hired deputies to enforce the law. That saturated policing made a difference, but collisions increased as enforcement ceased during the pandemic. The railroad has a huge number of crossings adjacent to heavily traveled roads, so spill back in very common.

https://www.tcpalm.com/story/opinion/2022/05/16/help-treasure-coast-residents-stay-safe-brightline-debuts-opinion/9744697002/?utm_source=tcpalm-DailyBriefing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily_briefing&utm_term=list_article_thumb&utm_content=PTCN-1267CN-E-NLETTER65

Date: 05/17/22 10:33
Re: FL: An opinion on BrightLine crossing safety
Author: mundo

Must agree with this.  Time for more involment other then then rail provider.

Ed  V

Date: 05/17/22 14:23
Author: agentatascadero

Let me say I have no horse in this race.
The columnist offers several reasons for collsions at crossings, kids at play, lost toursist, demented or otherwise impaired drivers, and, finally, clear headed individuals who know they are driving around or through the gates, and pay for it with their lives.  My thought is that it is exactly those clear headed individuals who likely make up the majority of such collsiions....not those who may have had actual "excuses".
Anyone?

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 05/17/22 17:02
Author: Lackawanna484

Yes. Driving around the gates isn't unusual in Florida. I was slowing for a traffic signal turning from amber to red a few weeks ago when I guy leaned on his horn and drove around me to make his left turn on full red.  It's a Florida thing.

Releasing the train's forward cam footage of crashes has brought some sobering TV. Guy drives around two stopped cars, and then around the gates. The camera usually bounces as the train crushes the car. Another one has a guy giving the train the finger as he stands in the middle of the gauge.  Tough on the engineer.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0347 seconds