Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Passenger Trains > Rare BART sun kink causes derailment

Date: 06/22/22 09:31
Rare BART sun kink causes derailment
Author: Highspeed

Train derailed between the Concord and Pleasant Hill stations on Tuesday evening, June 21st.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/50-passengers-evacuated-from-derailed-BART-train-17257023.php

[No paywall.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/22 09:33 by Highspeed.

Date: 06/22/22 09:35
Re: Rare BART sun kink causes derailment
Author: atsf121

Seems early in the year to get a sun kink, but I've heard it's been pretty warm there.  I recognized the spot in the photo when I saw the article this morning, used to ride that stretch years ago.  I was trying to think of other derailments that BART has had, they do seem to be pretty rare, and it sounds like this one was minor with no injuries, thank goodness.

Nathan

Date: 06/22/22 10:34
Author: dwatry

It was between 102 and 104 out in the Walnut Creek/Pleasant Hill/Concord area yesterday. 

Date: 06/22/22 18:14
Author: Zephyr

Weird!  It's been over 108 at this location in the past when I lived up in Pleasant Hill.  One wonders if BART had done some track work to disturb the right of way thereby allowing the rail to expand when it had not in the past when it gets hot.

Date: 06/22/22 18:54
Author: atsf121

dwatry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It was between 102 and 104 out in the Walnut
> Creek/Pleasant Hill/Concord area yesterday. 

Yikes, that is hot.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/22/22 19:25
Author: xrds72

The most common time of the year for sun kinks are the first very hot days in spring where the temperature swing from over night to mid day is the greatest. Also aggravated by any track work having been done in the area. Since BART does their track work at night, this could be a contributing factor.

I live in the Bay area and don't remember it being especially cool overnight recently. Been staying pretty warm

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0368 seconds