Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 07/10/22 14:25
Why Mickey Mouse won't get his Brightline Station
Author: DevalDragon

Date: 07/10/22 14:53
Re: Why Mickey Mouse won't get his Brightline Station
Author: GenePoon

Awww...the Disney Empire won't get their way, especially about the line serving a competitor; so they threw a tantrum like a three year old.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/22 14:53 by GenePoon.

Date: 07/10/22 15:22
Author: ts1457

GenePoon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Awww...the Disney Empire won't get their way,
> especially about the line serving a competitor; so
> they threw a tantrum like a three year old.

I wonder if Disney will get over it one day and build some sort of fixed guideway system to connect the Brightline station with its own intra-park transportation system?

Date: 07/10/22 16:38
Author: SANSR

Author: ts1457I wonder if Disney will get over it one day and build some sort of fixed guideway system to connect the Brightline station with its own intra-park transportation system?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In 'Disney Speak', that is probably already on the drawing boards.  It would create, yet, one more method of separating money from guests as they try to navigate the 'Experience'.  

I am glad my Disney days are over.  I don't have the disposable income to weather a simple Mickey Mouse Ice Cream Bar from one of the establishments on Main Street anymore.  I won't miss it either.  My adult children and their offspring can sample the myriad of ways that WDW works to disassociate one with their hard earned dollars.

Now, if my Financial Advisor will work his 'magic' and remove all things Disney from my portfolio, I will be a content (former) Mouseketeer.

(Rant off.)

Date: 07/10/22 16:46
Author: DavidP

My wife and I always said that if our kids asked to go to Disney we would take them, but we weren't going to do Disney's marketing for them by hyping it to the kids.  And guess what - the kids never asked, so we had dozens of far more interesting and memorable family vacations.  Both kids are now adults who enjoy their own interesting holidays and travel experiences, and have no regrets about not going to Disney.

Dave

Date: 07/10/22 17:49
Author: amtrakbill

For those of us who live close to Disney World we stay as far away from it as we can

There are ways to get very close to see the fireworks and it’s free. Secret ways to keep our money and not hand it over to this establishment

Disney will cry about Brightline serving it’s competition but at the end of the game I foresee a station very close with good, free shuttle services so they can empty your pockets

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/10/22 21:36
Author: justalurker66

The overall solution is better for the community and I am sure Disney will find a way to make it work for them.

I spent a week in Orlando with my wife. We considered visiting Disney or Universal Studios and ended up skipping both. We spent two days at the Kennedy Space Center  The closest we came to Universal Studios was seeing Blue Man Group in a theater on the edge of the park and the closest we came to Disney was a parking lot (just driving around seeing where things were). Except for the airport and the rental car it was a perfect trip.

Date: 07/11/22 01:15
Author: GenePoon

How is ABC News and its affiliates reporting on this, if at all?

ABC, remember, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Disney, which is why it is referred to as "Fantasyland News."

Date: 07/11/22 08:33
Author: DJ-12

Disney is worth over $140 Billion dollars and draws 20 million people annually to the Magic Kingdom alone. They have an incomparable logistics set up to move people around their parks and to and from the airport. Yes, the experience there is  expensive, but our family (whose kids are now aging out of them parks) enjoyed our visits and found that the entire experience was first rate. Families with kids will continue to find their way to the parks, and it's safe to say that Brightline needs the Disney counts more than Disney needs Brightline. I'm sure in due time there will be connectivity directly to the parks.

Date: 07/11/22 09:04
Author: Drknow

GenePoon Wrote:
> Awww...the Disney Empire won't get their way,
> especially about the line serving a competitor; so
> they threw a tantrum like a three year old.

South Park and Family Guy like to jab the Rat. Mickey has a rep on the street, with good reason.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/11/22 10:12
Author: PRSL-recall

Disney does have an elevated opinion of itself, considering it's plans and wishes superior to Brightline and of course all Florida governing authorities. They seriously can't figure out why all authority isn't turned over to them. 

Date: 07/11/22 10:58
Author: Lackawanna484

PRSL-recall Wrote:
> Disney does have an elevated opinion of itself,
> considering it's plans and wishes superior to
> Brightline and of course all Florida governing
> authorities. They seriously can't figure out why
> all authority isn't turned over to them. 

It was actually turned over to them with the legislature's creation of the Reedy Creek Improvement District.  I could argue that Disney's park is better governed than many Florida counties.

I wish the legislature put half as much effort into resolving soaring insurance costs / fraud, failing schools (49th in the union by some accounts), and crime as they did to taking away Disney's status.

Date: 07/11/22 11:01
Author: PHall

Could it be that Disney thinks they're entitled because the State of Florida gave them everything they wanted to entice them to build Disneyworld in Florida in the first place?

Date: 07/11/22 12:00
Author: PRSL-recall

If Walt Disney were still alive and leading the company there would be no changes. That is the issue clearly. But since this is a Passenger Rail forum I will not pursue the matter further.

Date: 07/11/22 13:01
Author: lordsigma

So I'm confused by the story.. Is Disney really "whining" or "Pulling out" or is it simply the new alignment doesn't support a station on their property. It sounds like the latter may be the answer. The proposed station location is close enough where it would be easy enough to do some kind of shuttle. Seems much ado about nothing.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/22 13:02 by lordsigma.

Date: 07/11/22 17:35
Author: junctiontower

DavidP Wrote:
> My wife and I always said that if our kids asked
> to go to Disney we would take them, but we weren't
> going to do Disney's marketing for them by hyping
> it to the kids.  And guess what - the kids never
> asked, so we had dozens of far more interesting
> and memorable family vacations.  Both kids are
> now adults who enjoy their own interesting
> holidays and travel experiences, and have no
> regrets about not going to Disney.
>
> Dave

My parents took me in 1977 (9 years old). It was OK, but never had any desire to go back, and haven’t. Too much money to mostly stand in line all day. Even as a nine year old, I was FAR more interested in back country roads, old train depots, water mills, covered bridges, airplane museums and old battlefields than some sweaty college student walking around in a mouse costume. Who actually likes the Disney characters anyway? The Looney Tunes characters are 500 times more funny and interesting.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/22 17:37 by junctiontower.

Date: 07/12/22 06:30
Author: Drknow

I’ve been to the Rat’s nest in Florida twice in the 80’s and had a great time, just day trips and EPCOT impressed me in 88; I’ll go again before I die.

And Bugs would kick the mouse’s ass.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/12/22 08:04
Author: PHall

PRSL-recall Wrote:
> If Walt Disney were still alive and leading the
> company there would be no changes. That is the
> issue clearly. But since this is a Passenger Rail
> forum I will not pursue the matter further.

If Walt hadn't died when he did there probably wouldn't be a Disneyworld in the first place.
The Walt Disney Company back when it was a family run company that was much smaller but profitable.

Date: 07/12/22 08:32
Author: Lackawanna484

PHall Wrote:
(SNIP)
> If Walt hadn't died when he did there probably
> wouldn't be a Disneyworld in the first place.
> The Walt Disney Company back when it was a family
> run company that was much smaller but profitable.

In his later years, Walt Disney was very committed to teaching and educating people. Hence, the idea of EPCOT and its international focus, etc.  And his love of trains wove throughout the property.

Once he died, and Shamrock / Roy took over, the focus shifted to monetizing everything.

Date: 07/12/22 08:32
Author: Typhoon

PHall Wrote:
> PRSL-recall Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If Walt Disney were still alive and leading the
> > company there would be no changes. That is the
> > issue clearly. But since this is a Passenger
> Rail
> > forum I will not pursue the matter further.
>
> If Walt hadn't died when he did there probably
> wouldn't be a Disneyworld in the first place.
> The Walt Disney Company back when it was a family
> run company that was much smaller but profitable.

Umm?  Walt himself was one of the main reasons Disney World was built in the first place.   His famous quote, when annoucing the WDW world project, ”Here in Florida, we have something special that we never enjoyed at Disneyland . . . the blessing of size. There’s enough land here to hold all the ideas and plans we can possibly imagine.”

https://d23.com/this-day/walt-and-roy-disney-announce-florida-project/

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1665 seconds