Home Open Account Help 329 users online

Passenger Trains > Potential Rail Strike and Passenger Trains?

Date: 09/11/22 10:24
Potential Rail Strike and Passenger Trains?
Author: OnTime

I have not yet seen any definitive statements as to the fate of Amtrak and regional commuter rail services if a strike occurs. I assume, as in the past, that Amtrak will shutdown. If this is not correct someone should inform us. As it becomes more likely than not that there will be a railroad strike soon perhaps someone in the know (Amtrak) should issue a statement warning people with rail travel plans of the increasing possibility of a nationwide rail shutdown. I can sympathize that Amtrak does not want to jeopardize potential earnings by discouraging passenger traffic. Still, it is only fair that those potential passengers not yet aware of the growing developments should be able to take this info into their travel plans.

Date: 09/11/22 10:31
Re: Potential Rail Strike and Passenger Trains?
Author: md

great point, im sure any riders, escpecially new Amtrak riders experiencing fustration if a strike happens may be former Amtrak riders in the future.

Date: 09/11/22 11:07
Author: PHall

Metrolink in Southern California has issued notice that service on all lines except for the San Bernardino and Antelope Valley Lines may be shutdown if there is a rail strike.
Metrolink owns all of the trackage on the San Bernardino and Antelope Valley Lines so they shouldn't be affected.

Date: 09/11/22 11:18
Author: DevalDragon

Amtrak has been so inconsistent this summer I don't think anyone would notice a strike.

Date: 09/11/22 11:31
Author: Lackawanna484

No warnings yet on Amtrak or NJTransit. NJT operates over a few miles of Conrail Lehigh Line,  [text removed]

Edit:  I've been reminded that NJT owns the Trenton to Camden light rail line, with Conrail as its tenant.  Text removed

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/22 17:08 by Lackawanna484.

Date: 09/11/22 13:20
Author: Pacific5th

Amtrak conductor told me the Amtrak SMART will not cross a picket line. I hope he's correct. Also going to talk with my local about picketing the Amtrak Depot since it's not a usually hang out for the rest of us rails but it's public.

Date: 09/11/22 15:47
Author: dcfbalcoS1

Many Amtrak riders become never again riders even if there is no strike. Not much reason to put a warning out in case things don't ge well next Saturday since they don't go well anyway. Unfortunately it is true but I don't see much happening in the 20th floor Amtrak shack to change things.

Date: 09/11/22 16:32
Author: ProAmtrak

When's the strike's supposed to happen!

Posted from Android

Date: 09/11/22 16:41
Author: zars

As soon as one minute after midnight on Friday morning, September 16th.

Date: 09/11/22 21:38
Author: AndyBrown

DevalDragon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Amtrak has been so inconsistent this summer I
> don't think anyone would notice a strike.

Ha!  Good one.

Andy

Date: 09/12/22 07:14
Author: justalurker66

Will the freight lines have dispatchers? Will there be signal maintainers and other crafts needed to allow for the safe passage of trains.

Outside of the NEC Amtrak relies on other railroads to get their intercity trains from city to city.

Date: 09/12/22 08:27
Author: DevalDragon

justalurker66 Wrote:
> Will the freight lines have dispatchers? Will
> there be signal maintainers and other crafts
> needed to allow for the safe passage of trains.

Union Pacific will. The others won't.

> Outside of the NEC Amtrak relies on other
> railroads to get their intercity trains from city
> to city.

Yup.

Date: 09/12/22 08:38

Even some Amtrak or state owned lines have little gaps of class 1 etc dispatched or maintained track.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/12/22 09:06
Author: Highspeed

Pacific5th Wrote:
> Amtrak conductor told me the Amtrak SMART will not
> cross a picket line.

True, but the freights don’t normally picket Amtrak crew bases.

Bigger factors will be if the MOW managers will inspect the tracks and will dispatchers answer the radios?

Date: 09/12/22 12:17
Author: engineerinvirginia

Highspeed Wrote:
> Pacific5th Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Amtrak conductor told me the Amtrak SMART will
> not
> > cross a picket line.
>
> True, but the freights don’t normally picket
> Amtrak crew bases.
>
> Bigger factors will be if the MOW managers will
> inspect the tracks and will dispatchers answer the
> radios?

They will unil they've seen that every train they have responsibity has made it to it's final point and is tied down...then they log off and turn their desk over to a non union boss if there is one who can sit down at it. 

Date: 09/12/22 12:26
Author: inyosub

The Robots, they will take over....

Date: 09/12/22 12:26
Author: Jimbo

Several September 13 western long distance cancellations on Amtrak Alerts: 

https://twitter.com/AmtrakAlerts

Date: 09/12/22 13:12
Author: TomG

This whole thing is a very sad event. No one will really care if passenger trains stop due to a strike. Some will be inconvenienced, but thy will put off plans or find alternative sources. But these are not the 70s where a strike on the WP for a few weeks didnt shut down the national supply chain. In todays rail service with 4 big carriers the game had changed. The public is going to get upset when they cant get what they need at the super market. They are not going to care that the railroads want one man crews or holding you to the fire for taking time off. They are going to see how much money train crews are being offered and say those lazy money grubbing train employees with better benefits than us are the problem cause they walked off the job. Sad days are coming.

Date: 09/12/22 19:51
Author: radar

In the grand scheme of a railroad strike, passenger trains aren't even a blip on the radar.  There are other modes of passenger transportation besides rail, but the strike is potentially harmful to the US economy and the availability of consumer goods.

Date: 09/16/22 14:06

I received a note reminding me the NJ Transit Atlantic City line uses a short stretch of Conrail track from SHORE tower on the NEC in northern Philadelphia, and across the Delair bridge.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0587 seconds