Home Open Account Help 195 users online

Passenger Trains > Local transportation in Burlington VT

Date: 09/12/22 19:19
Local transportation in Burlington VT
Author: march_hare

I'm thinking of a fall foliage trip to sample the new Vermont service. Itinerary would be Albany-NYP, then Vermonter to Essex Jct. Overnight  in downtown Burlington, then the new train to Albany via  Rutland. This is familiar country me as a line side rail fan, but I’ve never ridden north of Springfield MA or Whitehall NY. 

The only 2 hang ups are 1) the appalling cost of a downtown Burlington hotel, and (potentially ) the availability of 
local cabs from Essex Jct to downtown Burlington. 

I’ll make my peace with the hotel costs, and chalk it up to a nice night in a vibrant downtown. Last time I was there, it seemed like the Essex Jct station was well served by taxis, is this still true?  Inquiring minds want to know. 

Date: 09/12/22 20:41
Re: Local transportation in Burlington VT
Author: P

i'm interested in ground transportation options here as well.  I have been kicking around the idea of staying at nearby Smuggler's Notch and it would be a great reason to take Amtrak through Vermont.  Not sure if I'd need a rental car, but if a taxi or other shuttle were available I may forego a car rental.  Maybe.

Date: 09/12/22 22:10
Author: joemagruder

There is fairly good public transit between Burlington and Essex Junction - Google Green Mountain Transit or use Google Maps.

Date: 09/13/22 03:23
Author: jp1822

It's a big college town area. There's cabs. I am sure there's even Uber that can be your friend. If you have an older Amtrak timetable, it used to list the cab companies that were in the area for transportation (station services). I am sure you can even Google it (local cab transportation in Burlington, VT), or it might even be online under station services in Amtrak. The previous cab companies sound familiar. I used to take the train to/from Burlington, VT about every other month at one point in time. Sometimes I'd never rent a car, or other times I'd rent from Enterprise and they'd pick me up. The pickup was done when I'd take the Adirondack (not operating right now!) up to Port Kent and then ferry across to downtown Burlington. Gorgeous ride across Lake Champlain and entry into downtown. Enterprise or a cab would be waiting at the waterfront. If coming into Essex Junction, same thing, cab at train station and then I'd either head to downtown hotel, or out to airport to pickup a rental car (bit more expensive). Sometimes didn't need a car - walked the town and took the transit bus system - EXCELLENT service at one time. Not sure what it is like post-COVID now. The bus system doesn't operate though after certain times and on certain days to Essex Junction to meet the train as I recall though! I am sure you can do a little research and find that navigating around Burlington, VT and going from Essex Junction to downtown Burlington is actually pretty easy, as long as things haven't changed too much in the past 10 years. Again, just COVID has intervened to potentially cause some interruptions. 

Also, kind of a toss up - heading north on the Vermonter train, you'll hit darkness by southern Vermont in leaf peeping season. And unfortunately, the extended Ethan Allen to Burlington has a similar timed northbound schedule and it'll be dark just north of Albany in leaf peeping season. Southbound, both trains have daylight viewing out of Vermont. It does look like Vermonter north and Ethan Allen south will be best chance to see Vermont in daylight.........Great routes! Happy travels! The downtown Burlington Waterfront Hotels are GREAT, but yes, expensive! Before the re-development of the waterfront area, they were MUCH cheaper! Hotels can be busy in Fall due to the collegiate activities in the area........Some nice B&B's in the area too, but they are also expensive and not waterfront.  

Date: 09/13/22 04:05
Author: joemvcnj

Here is the local bus system and it is free through June 30, 2023: https://ridegmt.com/gmt-schedules/

I pretty much did what you are trying to do the last weekend in July. The trick is to get to Burlington early enough to take a local bus to cheaper motels in South Burlington (Holiday Inn Express) or Colchester (Motel 6). They do not run on Sundays, or you are in for a mile and a half walk from other buses, though the Essex Jct bus does run late and on Sundays. So do not take Amtrak northbound to either Essex Jct or Burlington since you will still be stuck in downtown Burlington with their extortion hotel rates. I would not walk around downtown Burlington after 10pm. There have been a couple of shootings over the last month with the local druggies and vagrants in the downtown parks, and the critically under-staffed police department has been supplemented by state troopers. 

Take The Vermonter only as far north as White River Jct. Spend the night there. The train station is downtown; the bus station is out in the highway/hotel/fast-food sprawl (I did that in 2006). The next day, take Greyhound from there to Burlington on its now just once daily Boston - Montreal route at 4:25pm, arriving Burlington at 6:05pm. Then take either the GMT #6 or #9 buses to either of those motels. Alternatively, take Vermont Translines Thruway bus connecting from Amtrak train 281 at Albany-Ren to Burlington, arriving there at 6pm. The downtown bus station is a 15 minute walk from Union Station. 

Forget about the Port Kent Ferry for a ride.  It is permanently dead. It had been operating only 3 months a year, no commuter traffic like the other 2 ferry crossings, the Plattsburgh military base was a source of traffic and is long gone. 2 of the 3 vessels were cut up for scrap last Spring. The 3rd is inoperable. Their Burlington harbor has been dismantled and converted for small boat leases. 

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/22 05:04 by joemvcnj.

Date: 09/13/22 07:05
Author: toledopatch

As for Smuggler's Notch, I would ask the resort (or search its website) for information about whether they have a shuttle from Burlington, and if said shuttle offers service from either the Burlington or Essex Jct. train stations.

Date: 09/13/22 07:32
Author: joemvcnj

I wish there was a B&B right in Essex Jct, but there is not.

Another option is to take the Vermonter to St Albans, and come back to Essex Jct in the morning. But their hotel rates are also ridiculous for little town with not much of anything there, though not as high as Burlington's. 

Date: 09/13/22 18:22
Author: Peak45068

Last week I did 48 Chicago to Schenectady (93+113) and spent some time in the excellent Frog Alley Brewery. Beer and food great.

Then up to Burlington on 291 with Top n Tail engines both powering (705/714). We arrived on time. I took an uBer to my hotel. La Quinta in South Burlington. Hotel quiet, cheap and clean.

Next morning I jumped on the Number 1 bus (stop is over the road from hotel) into Burlington Bus Station for the Number 2 bus to Essex Junction. Then popped into the excellent Firebird cafe near the station for a splendid omlette.

Train 55 arrived on time with #89 in charge. We had a lovely ride following the river and I alighted in Springfield. From there I had fun in the White Lion Brewery and enjoyed a fantastic meal in the Student Prince German restaurant. If anyone has some time in Springfield, these two places are highly recommended.

Last October the wife and I rode 56 up to St Albans from Baltimore and stayed in a great BnB. The following morning we took the train to Essex and the bus to Burlington. That occasion was great as was last week.

That part of America is one of my favourites and you should have no problems. Enjoy your trip.

Englishman in America.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0612 seconds