Home Open Account Help 356 users online

Passenger Trains > ‘Just filthy’: Passengers, advocates agree bus station in nee

Date: 09/19/22 11:40
‘Just filthy’: Passengers, advocates agree bus station in nee
Author: PC1974

‘Just filthy’: Passengers, advocates agree bus station in need of serious upgrade

INDIANAPOLIS — Tyreese Falkner just got off a bus from Bloomington on his way to Fort Wayne when he stepped out of the Greyhound bus station in downtown Indianapolis.

”Just filthy, nasty, need to be cleaned up, remodeled, do something special,” he said. ”It looks like everybody in the world ignored it.”

Indeed, its likely been decades since the bus station at Union Station has seen a significant upgrade.

More on the web at the following link: https://fox59.com/indiana-news/just-filthy-passengers-advocates-agree-bus-station-in-need-of-serious-upgrade/

This is the station used by Amtrak's Cardinal. A little cared for tri-weakly train.. Low on the Amtrak agenda, you get what you get!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/22 11:41 by PC1974.

Date: 09/19/22 12:21
Re: ‘Just filthy’: Passengers, advocates agree bus station in
Author: jeff56

Greyhound is in dire straights right now, but no reason for filthy conditions. Greyhound (GL) was sold
to FlixBus (FB), and I doubt they have a clue on running a major company the size of GL. This will be
the first time FB will actually own buses. They normally contract out to other carriers, who agree to the
business terms and have their buses wrapped in the green & orange FB colors.

I recently was at the Amtrak station is West Palm Beach which shares space with GL, there were about 15
passengers waiting on the hound at 12:45pm. Low & behold a FlixBus shows up, run by Umbrella Tours.
Driver was not in a GL uniform, but he did his job well boarding both GL & FB passengers and their luggage.
When I asked him about the GL bus, he said GL is closing shop in Florida. I doubt that very much, but
looking at the once popular NYC-Florida route which at one time had 6 departures from NYC, they are down
to one departure,,,very sad.

BTW that same day around 50 passengers were waiting on the Silver Star at 1:10pm to NYC.

Forgot to mention that I worked for the real Greyhound Lines out of NY PA Bus Terminal as a baggage handler,
that was a year before the airline Peoples Express started with their rock bottom fares. But I tell you, GL put on
quite a show during holiday periods - they were moving the masses with no problems. Everyone got a seat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/22 12:26 by jeff56.

Date: 09/19/22 13:22
Author: DevalDragon

Indianapolis Union Station is owned by the city of Indianapolis.

It's the city's responsibility to do the maintenance and upgrades, not Amtrak or Greyhound.

Date: 09/19/22 19:50
Author: alan2955

DevalDragon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Indianapolis Union Station is owned by the city of
> Indianapolis.
>
> It's the city's responsibility to do the
> maintenance and upgrades, not Amtrak or Greyhound.
The city of Indianapolis points fingers back at greyhound and blames them for the condition of the facility. It seems nobody is in charge of the asylum. It is definitely a disgusting disgraceful facility.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/19/22 21:52
Author: mundo

Finger pointing is what we had in Riverside CA, between City and GL..

Now GL is no more in a city of 350,000.
Condtions were  bad for sure, but to hell with passengers.

Date: 09/20/22 04:35
Author: march_hare

As seen from a local hotel, 2018.  The Cardinal emerges from the bowels of the station. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/22 04:36 by march_hare.

Date: 09/20/22 05:14
Author: joemvcnj

A Flix-run Greyhound will "fix" the problem by moving out, perhaps to a gas station near a highway exit, because that is their business model, and has been Greyhound's whenever they get disgusted with their facility. 

Amtrak would unstaff the station except Appropriation language told them to restaff it. 

Date: 09/20/22 06:12
Author: Typhoon

The part of the station that has been converted into a Crown Plaza is very nice, although it could use more food options.  Also Indy's airport is a wonderful facility.  It is all about priorities.  

Date: 09/20/22 09:58
Author: toledopatch

DevalDragon Wrote:
> Indianapolis Union Station is owned by the city of
> Indianapolis.
> It's the city's responsibility to do the
> maintenance and upgrades, not Amtrak or Greyhound.

....unless the city's contract with either of those tenants makes the tenant(s) responsible for daily upkeep.

If that's the case, of course, it then falls to the city to enforce the contract.

Date: 09/20/22 11:48
Author: DevalDragon

toledopatch Wrote:
> DevalDragon Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Indianapolis Union Station is owned by the city
> of
> > Indianapolis.
> > It's the city's responsibility to do the
> > maintenance and upgrades, not Amtrak or
> Greyhound.
>
> ....unless the city's contract with either of
> those tenants makes the tenant(s) responsible for
> daily upkeep.
>
> If that's the case, of course, it then falls to
> the city to enforce the contract.

That is correct. Any why this Indianapolis vs. Greyhound disagreement is stupid.

In the end, it is ultimately the building owner's responsibility.

Date: 09/20/22 17:04
Author: cutboy1958

Been  bad  for  years.  City  does  not  care.  Millions  for  the  airport.

Date: 09/20/22 17:11
Author: DNRY122

Am I correct in remembering that the old Indianapolis Traction Terminal was used by Greyhound and other bus services for many years after the last interurban car ran?  By the time I rode the bus through Indy in July 1977, it was long gone.  That 1977 trip was planned with a copy of the Greyhound section of Russell's Guide.  A few years ago, I got curious about present day operations, and bought a copy of the June 2018 Guide.  The whole Guide was less than the thickness of just the Greyhound pages of 1977; it was rather pathetic.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0704 seconds