Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Passenger Trains > NEC photos from March '03 (image links)

Date: 04/08/03 05:54
NEC photos from March '03 (image links)
Author: benrussellpa

Hi all,

Below are links to some pictures from the NEC in the Norwood, PA/Prospect Park, PA area in March \'03.

Amtrak 934 leads train 94 south past Prospect Park,PA 3/31/03

SEPTA 301 leads train 9229 south through Prospect Park, PA 3/31/03

Amtrak 946 leads train 184 north past Prospect Park, PA 3/31/03
946 sports the "simple simple" paint scheme, lacking even a nose logo.

Amtrak 939 leads train 20 north past Prospect Park, PA 3/31/03

Southbound Acela run 2155 with power car 2020 in the lead at Prospect Park, PA 3/31/03

SEPTA 302 leads train 4608 north past Norwood, PA 3/15/03

Amtrak 941 leads train 152 north past a stopped SEPTA southbound at Norwood, PA 3/15/03

Amtrak 920 leads the northbound weekend Vermonter (54) past Norwood, PA 3/15/03

Amtrak 71 rumbles southbound with train 89 through Norwood, PA 3/15/03

Amtrak Acela trip 2250 heads noth through Norwood, PA with power car 2030 in the lead 3/15/03

=====
Ben R. - Norristown, PA
http://www.jeffersonfireco.com
http://home.earthlink.net/~benandchrisie

Date: 04/08/03 09:31
Re: NEC photos from March '03 (image links)
Author: hsr_fan

Wow, look at the paint peeling off the nose on that last Acela shot! Not good...

Nice pictures, though!

Date: 04/08/03 10:09
The AEM7AC's
Author: NE933

I hope Amtrak applies a bolder image of its name and logo on these. They look so, well, naked and nameless.

Date: 04/08/03 12:45
Re: The AEM7AC's
Author: benrussellpa

NE933 wrote:

> I hope Amtrak applies a bolder image of its name and logo on
> these. They look so, well, naked and nameless.
>

I agree 100%. Personally, my favorite scheme for these locos was the wide blue stripe with the red/white pinstripes on top. The engines stood out and the dark blue used was classy with the thinner red/white stirping above. There was no pointelss arrow logo or a speeding boob logo anywhere, just the name Amtrak in white across the nose in the blue stripe.

Anyone know of a site that gives the unofficial names for all the Amtrak paint schemes? I don\'t know what to call them.

Ben

Date: 04/08/03 14:15
Re: NEC photos from March '03 (image links)
Author: PennEngineer

My preference for the AEM-7\'s is the current silver/blue scheme. I think it looks very sleek. It is rather spartan, but I think it gives the unit a clean-cut look. I especially like it with a solid set of Phase IV/Phase IVb Amfleets behind it.

I always thought that the Phase III w/ the wide blue on bottom was tacky--I didn\'t like the "skirt effect" it gave. We all have our preferences, though.

However, out of all the NEC power, my favorite appearance wise would be the HPP-8\'s. Their geometry is very slick, and something about the angles on their nose looks much better than the Acela, if you ask me. Now all they have to do is get those "Acela" logos off them and put on the "three sheets" logos.

Date: 04/08/03 15:09
Re: The AEM7AC's
Author: F40PHR231

benrussellpa wrote:
> Anyone know of a site that gives the unofficial names for all
> the Amtrak paint schemes? I don\'t know what to call them.

Even if there was one, there would still be disagreement by everybody -- an official one by Amtrak isn\'t exactly something they\'re thinking of doing. ;-)

Date: 04/08/03 17:57
Paint Schemes
Author: Amfleet

>Anyone know of a site that gives the unofficial names for all the Amtrak paint schemes? I don\'t know what to call them.

Though this is not official it will give you a good idea up until the mess of things today.

Phase I - Wide Red and Blue stripes seperated by a thin white stripe and the pointless arrow logos at both ends. (1971-1980)

Phase II - Same as phase I, but without the logo. (1975-1986)

Phase III - Equal width red, white, and blue stripes. (1982-present)

Phase IV - Wide dark blue stripe with red and white pinstripes above. (1995-present)

Phase V - "Shamu"/"Wave" scheme on the P-42 locomotives with the giant three sheets logo. (2000-present)

Phase IVb - Same as phase IV, but dark blue stripe is now a dark teal, three sheets logo applied at one end of the car, and red reflector stripes applied to the bottom of the car. (2002-present)

Acela - The teal/blue blobs applied to the Acela Express trainsets and many Amfleets in the NEC (which are soon to be repainted). (1999-present)

Then there are the Surfliners, California Cars, and Cascade Talgos each with there own unique scheme that doesn\'t realy have it\'s own catgory.

Note, dates are not exact and some do overlap.

Date: 04/08/03 19:09
Re: Paint Schemes
Author: F40PHR231

Very good, a few additions...

Phase I on locomotives consisted of the entire nose being painted red, hence the commonly referred name "bloody nose"

Phase IV had a series of revisions themselves, such as some locomotives receiving all silver paint across the top, instead of black on most.

Phase V locomotives are divided with version A, and version B. A has the logo plastered all over the car body, where the B displays one simple logo per side.

A has thicker grey, with red and blue striping at the bottom of the locomotive, where B has a thinner grey, and only the red stripe.

Then new management took over, indicating the brand redesign was a mistake from the previous management. Instead of paying consultants to come up with a color design for the passenger cars that already have Phase IV applied to them, management restricted the paint to Phase IV.

This prevents contrasting paint between new and old painted cars, but only with slight modifications to somewhat match the Phase V locomotives, which is generally just the red stripe, hence Phase IVb.

~Chris

Amfleet wrote:

> >Anyone know of a site that gives the unofficial names for
> all the Amtrak paint schemes? I don\'t know what to call them.
>
> Though this is not official it will give you a good idea up
> until the mess of things today.
>
> Phase I - Wide Red and Blue stripes seperated by a thin white
> stripe and the pointless arrow logos at both ends. (1971-1980)
>
> Phase II - Same as phase I, but without the logo.
> (1975-1986)
>
> Phase III - Equal width red, white, and blue stripes.
> (1982-present)
>
> Phase IV - Wide dark blue stripe with red and white
> pinstripes above. (1995-present)
>
> Phase V - "Shamu"/"Wave" scheme on the P-42 locomotives with
> the giant three sheets logo. (2000-present)
>
> Phase IVb - Same as phase IV, but dark blue stripe is now a
> dark teal, three sheets logo applied at one end of the car, and
> red reflector stripes applied to the bottom of the car.
> (2002-present)
>
> Acela - The teal/blue blobs applied to the Acela Express
> trainsets and many Amfleets in the NEC (which are soon to be
> repainted). (1999-present)
>
> Then there are the Surfliners, California Cars, and Cascade
> Talgos each with there own unique scheme that doesn\'t realy
> have it\'s own catgory.
>
> Note, dates are not exact and some do overlap.
>
> [%sig%]

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0659 seconds