Home Open Account Help 195 users online

Passenger Trains > article: seattle rider gives up mass transit........


Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2


Date: 11/22/22 15:11
article: seattle rider gives up mass transit........
Author: goneon66




Date: 11/22/22 15:18
Re: article: seattle rider gives up mass transit........
Author: RRBMail

goneon66 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> https://mynorthwest.com/3724879/seattle-rider-give
> s-up-mass-transit-homeless-man-feel-less-safe/

I wouldn't be surprised if statistically great harm is more likely from auto accidents than riding public transit. 



Date: 11/22/22 16:53
Re: article: seattle rider gives up mass transit........
Author: toledopatch

RRBMail Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> goneon66 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> https://mynorthwest.com/3724879/seattle-rider-give
>
> > s-up-mass-transit-homeless-man-feel-less-safe/
>
> I wouldn't be surprised if statistically great
> harm is more likely from auto accidents than
> riding public transit.

You're probably right, but we've become inured to a certain degree of death and mayhem on the roads, while we culturally cherish that freedom to drive wherever and at minimal direct cost.

Meanwhile, the failure of the transit system and the police to address an obvious "disturbing the peace/disorderly conduct" situation gives public transportation a black eye.



Date: 11/22/22 17:51
Re: article: seattle rider gives up mass transit........
Author: RMD23

My thoughts based on recent US transit experiences...it is not exactly pleasant - at least while driving one does not have to deal with most of the current on-going BS behavior seen on transit.  To be fair, one also have to deal with the current BS behaviors when driving.  At every urban or near-urban off-ramp there are very aggresive panhandlers, and more troubling there is NO basic traffic enforcement or police presence seen on the urban / near-urban roadways.  Just asying, maybe this isn't a tranist issue but a larger problem with basc law enforcement priorities/directives? (to be clear this is NOT directed at the platform/exit ramp-level law enforcers).  



Date: 11/22/22 17:54
Re: article: seattle rider gives up mass transit........
Author: toledopatch

RMD23 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My thoughts based on recent US transit
> experiences...it is not exactly pleasant - at
> least while driving one does not have to deal with
> most of the current on-going BS behavior seen on
> transit.  To be fair, one also have to deal with
> the current BS behaviors when driving.  At every
> urban or near-urban off-ramp there are very
> aggresive panhandlers, and more troubling there is
> NO basic traffic enforcement or police presence
> seen on the urban / near-urban roadways.  Just
> asying, maybe this isn't a tranist issue but a
> larger problem with basc law enforcement
> priorities/directives? (to be clear this is NOT
> directed at the platform/exit ramp-level law
> enforcers).

Perhaps, although it could also be viewed as an indictment of the health-care "system" in this country, in conjunction with societal dismissal in particular of mental health concerns among homeless people, many of whom became homeless because of their mental health problems.



Date: 11/22/22 18:09
Re: article: seattle rider gives up mass transit........
Author: Macster

goneon66 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> https://mynorthwest.com/3724879/seattle-rider-give
> s-up-mass-transit-homeless-man-feel-less-safe/
>
> you can also listen to the interview..........
>
> 66
>
>  

This happens on virtually every transit agency. With record-high mortgage costs and record-high apartment rent, lack of shelters, you'll have more and more homeless on transit, especially as the winter/colder months hit. 

Meanwhile, ST is already above its 2019 ridership numbers. 



Date: 11/22/22 19:04
Re: article: seattle rider gives up mass transit........
Author: fooshie

As somebody who commutes on public transit daily, here are my thoughts—

Even though you're statistically more likely to be harmed in a car accident than on public transit, at least your car isn't open to anybody and everybody to ride; at least you have control over your immediate environment.

If the powers that be want to increase public transit ridership, then public transit needs to be stop being a homeless shelter/youth center/detox center/ambulance. Fare evasion needs to be enforced (looking at you, Washington Metro).

The Washington Post had a good article a few months ago describing the ridership on a bus route in Denver. It makes me grateful that whenever I visit family and friends in Colorado, they have cars I can use. Possible paywall: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/06/06/bus-denver-pendemic-violence/



Date: 11/22/22 20:29
Re: article: seattle rider gives up mass transit........
Author: RuleG

fooshie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As somebody who commutes on public transit daily,
> here are my thoughts—
>
> Even though you're statistically more likely to be
> harmed in a car accident than on public transit,
> at least your car isn't open to anybody and
> everybody to ride; at least you have control over
> your immediate environment.

However, drivers do not have control over other drivers decisions regarding alcohol or drug usage or being distracted.  The reality is that traffic fatalities have shot up in 2020 even when vehicle miles driven declined and continued to rise in 2021.

As a daily public transit user, I feel the most unsafe part of my commute is the walk to and from the transit stop which involves crossing very busy streets one of which is at a complex intersection.
 



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/22 12:44 by RuleG.



Date: 11/22/22 23:05
Re: article: seattle rider gives up mass transit........
Author: cchan006

RRBMail Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wouldn't be surprised if statistically great
> harm is more likely from auto accidents than
> riding public transit.

I wouldn't be surprised either, but mass transit felt safer before.

Y'all can make excuses regarding auto fatalities. Public policy failures are compromising viability of public transit REGARDLESS. That issue needs to be addressed. If things continue the way they are, soon your choice of death will be pushed in front of a train, crushed by a big rig or shot by road rage, while before, you didn't have to pick the first choice.

I continue to use public transit when convenient, even though I've been seeing firsthand more and more crazies. So don't dismiss stories like this with an off topic "but cars are more dangerous."



Date: 11/23/22 05:05
Re: article: seattle rider gives up mass transit........
Author: joemvcnj

Everyday on the NYC subways, there are multiple incidents of delays due to NYPD removal of a disruptive passenger, or train disabled by activation of emergency brakes, likely a vandal. Between that, and muggings in station mezzanines and platforms, shoving people onto the track, unprovoked, random beatings anywhere in the system, I no longer will ride it. It doesn't mean I regard driving as safe either. I simply will walk, stay off certain streets, give unsavory characters on the sidewalk approaching a wide berth, or cross the street, or take the LIRR or the Q32 bus, or NYC Ferry to Queens, or else I simply don't go there. 



Date: 11/23/22 06:08
Re: article: seattle rider gives up mass transit........
Author: goneon66

it's great that some people riding public rail transit have NEVER felt uncomfortable or unsafe.  

that sure does NOT negate the uncomfortable or unsafe experiences other people have had.

traffic accidents are reported so stats are available.

if there were current stats available when people felt vulnerable or unsafe on public rail transit in all cities, 

maybe the reason that some people give up public rail transit would be more apparent...........

66

 



Date: 11/23/22 06:41
Re: article: seattle rider gives up mass transit........
Author: goduckies

I've never had to leave my car so i don't get crack smoke in my lungs as has happened on muni, I'll keep my vehicle, thanks!

Posted from Android



Date: 11/23/22 06:41
Re: article: seattle rider gives up mass transit........
Author: goduckies

Double

Posted from Android



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/22 06:42 by goduckies.



Date: 11/23/22 10:13
Re: article: seattle rider gives up mass transit........
Author: BAB

Macster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> goneon66 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> https://mynorthwest.com/3724879/seattle-rider-give
>
> > s-up-mass-transit-homeless-man-feel-less-safe/
> >
> > you can also listen to the interview..........
> >
> > 66
> >
> >  
>
> This happens on virtually every transit agency.
> With record-high mortgage costs and record-high
> apartment rent, lack of shelters, you'll have more
> and more homeless on transit, especially as the
> winter/colder months hit. 
>
> Meanwhile, ST is already above its 2019 ridership
> numbers. 

And the squatters have no reason to change free money free health care free food and quite often free housing some in converted motels.  Oh and those who are housed in motels and such dont lift a hand to clean up, not try to burn the places up quite doing drugs or even find a job. Until the free part stops things will never change either. Drug use will never stop as the cops cant do anything about it. Here in OR they stopped any drug enforcment with people using or even selling.



Date: 11/23/22 20:06
Re: article: seattle rider gives up mass transit........
Author: 567Chant

> Drug use will never stop as the cops cant do
> anything about it. Here in OR they stopped any
> drug enforcment with people using or even selling.
----------------------------
I must ask:
Does this bring us closer to the definition of a 'failed state' ?
...Lorenzo



Date: 11/23/22 20:38
Re: article: seattle rider gives up mass transit........
Author: RuleG

goduckies Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've never had to leave my car so i don't get
> crack smoke in my lungs as has happened on muni,
> I'll keep my vehicle, thanks!
>
> Posted from Android

Well, now you live in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.  When did crack smoke on Kootenai County Public Transportation become a problem?



Date: 11/24/22 13:57
Re: article: seattle rider gives up mass transit........
Author: skinem

BAB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Macster Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > goneon66 Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > >
> >
> https://mynorthwest.com/3724879/seattle-rider-give
>
> >
> > >
> s-up-mass-transit-homeless-man-feel-less-safe/
> > >
> > > you can also listen to the
> interview..........
> > >
> > > 66
> > >
> > >  
> >
> > This happens on virtually every transit agency.
> > With record-high mortgage costs and record-high
> > apartment rent, lack of shelters, you'll have
> more
> > and more homeless on transit, especially as the
> > winter/colder months hit. 
> >
> > Meanwhile, ST is already above its 2019
> ridership
> > numbers. 
>
> And the squatters have no reason to change free
> money free health care free food and quite often
> free housing some in converted motels.  Oh and
> those who are housed in motels and such dont lift
> a hand to clean up, not try to burn the places up
> quite doing drugs or even find a job. Until the
> free part stops things will never change either.
> Drug use will never stop as the cops cant do
> anything about it. Here in OR they stopped any
> drug enforcment with people using or even selling.
 I hear ya, man. Free stuff's being thrown at them and they're taking advantage of it, same as free education was probably made available to you and you...oh, wait, never mind. 



Date: 11/24/22 17:07
Re: article: seattle rider gives up mass transit........
Author: cchan006

RuleG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, now you live in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.  When
> did crack smoke on Kootenai County Public
> Transportation become a problem?

He used to live in the SF Bay Area, and moved to Idaho not too long ago. Hence he mentioned "muni" although "SF Muni" would have made more sense.



Date: 11/24/22 18:56
Re: article: seattle rider gives up mass transit........
Author: RuleG

cchan006 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> RuleG Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Well, now you live in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. 
> When
> > did crack smoke on Kootenai County Public
> > Transportation become a problem?
>
> He used to live in the SF Bay Area, and moved to
> Idaho not too long ago. Hence he mentioned "muni"
> although "SF Muni" would have made more sense.

Yes, I am well aware of that. 

Unless the transit system serving Coeur d'Alene is experiencing similar problems, what happened on the San Francisco Muni should be not be the excuse to avoid riding Kootenai County Public Transportation. 



Date: 11/27/22 13:09
Re: article: seattle rider gives up mass transit........
Author: cchan006

RuleG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> cchan006 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > RuleG Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Well, now you live in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. 
> > When
> > > did crack smoke on Kootenai County Public
> > > Transportation become a problem?
> >
> > He used to live in the SF Bay Area, and moved
> to
> > Idaho not too long ago. Hence he mentioned
> "muni"
> > although "SF Muni" would have made more sense.
>
> Yes, I am well aware of that. 
>
> Unless the transit system serving Coeur d'Alene is
> experiencing similar problems, what happened on
> the San Francisco Muni should be not be the excuse
> to avoid riding Kootenai County
> Public Transportation. 

Except why compare the 3 bus lines in Coeur d'Alene (with NO Sunday service) to San Francisco MUNI with 70+ bus lines? Huge difference in convenience.

Maybe you shouldn't have called out his location of residence publicly? So I should call you out on your doxing mentality. Anyway, I can sympathize with the annoyance of dismissing public transportation in favor of the automobile. No need to get personal.

Maybe the smell of drugs is unavoidable in a car with broken air conditioning in the middle of summer, but the point about the car providing a limited protection of personal space is understandable.

But it is limited.

I've encountered "street enterpeneurs" suddenly washing your windshield at a stop light, soliciting money. And the more common beggars with sympathy signs ("Need Work", "Need to Feed (fill in the blank)") at freeway exits and busy intersections.

Eventually, the problems will become bad enough that this will no longer be about public transit vs. the automobile.



Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2


[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1669 seconds