Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Passenger Trains > Mental midget zapped on top of MARC train at WUS on Friday

Date: 12/03/22 14:37
Mental midget zapped on top of MARC train at WUS on Friday
Author: GenePoon

Man shocked on top of MARC train at Union Station

Veronica Canales | WTOP
December 2, 2022, 2:11 PM

A man is in the hospital with critical injuries after he was shocked on top of a MARC train at Union Station Friday morning.

DC Fire and EMS said the man came into contact with power while walking on the roof of the train car, causing an electric shock.

A statement from Amtrak spokeswoman Kimberly Woods identified the man as a “trespasser.”
She said the man came into contact with an overhead wire, which caused a power outage.

It took about an hour and a half for the man to be rescued from the time it was first reported, because power had to be brought down so rescuers could get to the man safely.

No passengers were injured.

The Amtrak Police Department is investigating the incident.

The MARC Penn Line train scheduled to depart Union Station at 5:30 p.m, has been canceled. The Maryland Transportation Authortity said passengers will be accommodated on the 6 p.m. train making all stops.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/22 14:38 by GenePoon.

Date: 12/03/22 15:00
Re: Mental midget zapped on top of MARC train at WUS on Friday
Author: ClubCar

That person is very lucky to even been alive.  Most of these trespassers over the years have been electrocuted and their bodies have often been fried.  How can we fix stupid?
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 12/03/22 15:05
Author: mkancle

How many lawyers have contacted him so far to prepare his lawsuit against the railroad? This should be good for a few million. 

Date: 12/03/22 15:14
Author: irhoghead

"How can we fix stupid?" Hope his reproductive organs were vaporized. That would be a start.

Date: 12/03/22 15:33
Author: RRBMail

mkancle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How many lawyers have contacted him so far to
> prepare his lawsuit against the railroad? This
> should be good for a few million. 

Yep, no body likes lawyers until they need one!

Date: 12/03/22 15:37
Author: walstib

There is no fix for stupid.

And, apparently there is no fix for the juvenile behavior here on Trainorders where people are referred to as “mental midgets.”

Regardless of the injured man’s actions, I see no valid reason to term him a mental midget.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/03/22 15:46

Yep, it's insane to trespass, climb on top of a train that was about to depart, touch the wires, get electrocuted, and expect a payout for it. It has happened before and is sure to happen again. We all make mistakes, but something like this is absolutely beyond comprehension. I just finished reading about 24 million that was awarded to two Philadelphia idiots in 2006 who were electrocuted on top of an Amtrak train. Yep, nobody likes a lawyer until we need one... Please give me a break. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/22 15:47 by mkancle.

Date: 12/03/22 16:05
Re: Imbecile zapped on top of MARC train at WUS on Friday
Author: toledopatch

mkancle Wrote:
> Yep, it's insane to trespass, climb on top of a
> train that was about to depart, touch the wires,
> get electrocuted, and expect a payout for it. It
> has happened before and is sure to happen again.
> We all make mistakes, but something like this is
> absolutely beyond comprehension. I just finished
> reading about 24 million that was awarded to two
> Philadelphia idiots in 2006 who were electrocuted
> on top of an Amtrak train. Yep, nobody likes a
> lawyer until we need one... Please give me a
> break.

Yesterday afternoon, an apparently speeding trucker lost control on a freeway junction ramp near Dayton, Ohio and his careening rig hit several other vehicles, killing one of the other drivers, and caught fire, blocking a major freeway for many hours. You don't think that person's family deserves legal representation to pursue a seven- or low-eight-figure claim against that trucker and his employer?

THe problem is that the legal system also has rewarded frivolous claims like the one sure to be made by this menta-- OK, imbecile (is that better?) who foolishly climbed a train. Blame judges and juries that have rewarded this sort of stupidity, not the lawyers, whose role is to create the most favorable argument possible for whoever hires them.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/22 16:28 by toledopatch.

Date: 12/03/22 16:19
Author: pdt

toledopatch Wrote:
> mkancle Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Yep, it's insane to trespass, climb on top of a
> > train that was about to depart, touch the
> wires,
> > get electrocuted, and expect a payout for it.
> It
> > has happened before and is sure to happen
> again.
> > We all make mistakes, but something like this
> is
> > absolutely beyond comprehension. I just
> finished
> > reading about 24 million that was awarded to
> two
> > Philadelphia idiots in 2006 who were
> electrocuted
> > on top of an Amtrak train. Yep, nobody likes a
> > lawyer until we need one... Please give me a
> > break.
>
> Yesterday afternoon, an apparently speeding
> trucker lost control on a freeway junction ramp
> near Dayton, Ohio and his careening rig hit
> several other vehicles, killing one of the other
> drivers, and caught fire, blocking a major freeway
> for many hours. You don't think that person's
> family deserves legal representation to pursue a
> nine- or ten-figure claim against that trucker and
> his employer?

NOPE.
Of course ppl shouldnt speed, but shit happens, and if one life is accidently destroyed,  destroying another accomplishes nothing.  Its just vengence.  a 9 or 10 figure settlement?    Thats ridiculous.     At that price, you'll now have ppl say "kill my wife, please"
Theres no need for vengence in a civilized society....not that im saying we have a civilized society.  There are many civilized lawyers out there...and then there are the "personal injury" attack lawyers.   I dont think what they do is very civilized. We have become a very overly litigioius society, IMHO.   Every and any accident is an opportunity for someone to buy a boat or a bigger house.  We have ppl trying to fake accidents cause the paydays can be so outrageous.
>

>  

Date: 12/03/22 16:23

Where did I say in my previous comments that people should not have the right to legal council if they are legitimately injured? I see absolutely nothing in my post that reflects this assumption. Please let me know where you saw this and I will happily rescind it. 
I said, and stand by my opinion, that somebody who chooses to trespass, climb on top of a train, and get electrocuted should not receive any kind of large payout (IMHO) I'm talking about this kind of case when the person is completely, 100% to blame for their own stupidity. Not out of control trucks or some other non related subject.
There are cases out there where lawyers are certainly needed and there are other situations like these that give lawyers a bad name. I'm sorry somebody was hurt. We all make bad decisions sometimes. But stuff like this...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/22 16:24 by mkancle.

Date: 12/03/22 16:27
Author: toledopatch

> Of course ppl shouldnt speed, but shit happens,
> and if one life is accidently destroyed, 
> destroying another accomplishes nothing.  Its
> just vengence.  a 9 or 10 figure
> settlement?    Thats ridiculous.     At
> that price, you'll now have ppl say "kill my wife,
> please"

Yeah, I was mistaken about the number of figures. More like seven or low eight.

Date: 12/03/22 16:29
Author: joemvcnj

We are not supposed to post URL's of You Tube on T.O., but you can search it for "zS8T6HUzue0" of NYC WPIX 11 TV news. 
"15-year-old dies while subway surfing on Brooklyn train" 2 days ago. 

Date: 12/03/22 18:30
Author: jgilmore

pdt Wrote:
> NOPE.
> Of course ppl shouldnt speed, but shit happens,
> and if one life is accidently destroyed, 
> destroying another accomplishes nothing.  Its
> just vengence.  

And here I thought all these years that was called justice, as in fair compensation, for wrongs committed. Or punishment. Esp. when negligence and willfulness come into play, and the damaging actions of other parties is egregious and/or not reasonably expected to happen. A system of holding people or institutions accoutable for what they do, with degrees of punishment commensurate with the degree of damage or pain, like fines, imprisonment and even death (according to whatever society sets up). I didn't realize, for instance, that if someone raped or killed my wife and I went to the justice system (police, lawyers, judges) for compensation, even if simply to hold the offending party accountable for punishment, that this is now vengeance? How wrong was I?! Hmmm, then maybe we should just scrap the whole system, live and let live, accept that crap happens, C est la vie. Yeah, I'm thinking this will work so much better than what we have...

JG

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/22 18:32 by jgilmore.

Date: 12/04/22 17:02
Author: march_hare

A statement from Amtrak spokeswoman Kimberly Woods identified the man as a “trespasser.” 

A statement from first responders identified the man as "a moron". 

Date: 12/04/22 20:06
Author: SpringedSwitch

And the OP said "Mental Midget."

Some people would find that offensive, but clearly the moderators on Trainorders think insults are fine.

Date: 12/04/22 20:35
Author: steve4031

I just can't understand why anyone would even consider getting up there.  First, you have to climb up a ladder or something on the side of the equipment to get to the top of the train.  Then you have to stand up.  And then manage to touch the catenary wire.  

Date: 12/05/22 11:57
Author: symph1

> Theres no need for vengence in a civilized
> society....not that im saying we have a civilized
> society. 

If not vengeance, how about compensation for lost wages for what would have been the victim's normal remaining working years? I don't know if this person had a spouse or kids, but if so, they have just lost their support. That's not vengeance, that's specific compensation. https://www.amazon.com/What-Life-Worth-Compensate-September/dp/1586484516/ref=asc_df_1586484516/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312673449485&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15334141673307071637&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028897&hvtargid=pla-570523902170&psc=1

Date: 12/05/22 18:04

So, just to get this straight, Amtrak should be liable for this guys future lost wages after he trespassed, climbed up onto one of their trains, and almost killed himself due to his own sheer stupidity? They should have to compensate this man for these actions? I'm just trying to get my head around this?? The previous link posted was for people killed in 9-11 who through no fault of their own were killed and maimed. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/22 18:09 by mkancle.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1165 seconds