Home Open Account Help 281 users online

Passenger Trains > Zoo Interlocking area trackage

Date: 04/29/03 10:57
Zoo Interlocking area trackage
Author: OCtrainguy

Not being familiar with the area, I have a question regarding the trackage around Zoo Interlocking. The east end of the High Line connects at Zoo, and obviously, the corrdior runs through there. First, North Philadelphia Tower, which still stands, is between 30th Street Station and Zoo Tower, correct? Second, where does the west end of the High Line end? And finally, what other lines run through? If I remember correctly, there are seven tracks that are under Zoo\'s control. Thank you in advance for the information.

Date: 04/29/03 12:16
Re: Zoo Interlocking area trackage
Author: oaksmodelrr

>First, North Philadelphia Tower, which still stands, is between 30th Street Station and Zoo Tower, correct?

No, North Philly is north of ZOO and south of Frankford Jct.

>Second, where does the west end of the High Line end?

Technically the south end (PRR direction changes at Zoo, east/west to the compass north of Zoo, north/south to the compass south) ends at CP Arsenal where it rejoins the NEC south of 30th Street.

>And finally, what other lines run through? If I remember correctly, there are seven tracks that are under Zoo\'s control.

SEPTA R5 Paoli and R7 Trenton trains also use Zoo. Before they cut the connection between the High Line and Zoo, Conrail would also run through under Zoo control. There is also the Pittsburgh Subway where trains that bypassed 30th St (like the Broadway) would run directly from the Main Line to the NEC.

Date: 04/29/03 13:51
Re: Zoo Interlocking area trackage
Author: OCtrainguy

Thanks for the information and the correction on the tower location. So when one rides NJT\'s Atlantic City Line, you pass Shore, then North Philadelphia and finally Zoo Tower. When freights come off the High Line at Zoo, what line or lines do they access from that point? Can they access Belmont Jct.?

Date: 04/29/03 17:39
Re: Zoo
Author: timz

I forget-- does the S end of the High Line connect to the NEC at Arsenal or at Phil?

The N end comes down to the surface in the middle of Zoo but no longer connects to any passenger tracks there; instead it just dips underground to reach (via Belmont Jct?) the ex-RDG main to Reading and beyond.

Date: 04/29/03 19:12
Author: JAChooChoo

Date: 04/29/03 19:13
Author: JAChooChoo

Date: 04/29/03 20:29
PHIL and PENN
Author: oaksmodelrr

I believe PHIL and PENN are the interlockings where the upper level SEPTA trains separate from the lower level Amtrak trains at 30th St.

Date: 04/29/03 22:07
Author: bronxtale

timz wrote:

I forget-- does the S end of the High Line connect to the NEC at Arsenal or at Phil?

The N end comes down to the surface in the middle of Zoo but no longer connects to any passenger tracks there; instead it just dips underground to reach (via Belmont Jct?) the ex-RDG main to Reading and beyond.

The high line no longer connects to the corridor at Arsenal. This ended when Phil was put in. Trains off the high line now access the corrdior at Phil. Since the Conrail split,the high line has been CSX\'s responsibilty while the short section between Arsenal and Phil has been NS\'s responsibility. I assume this is because only NS freights access the corridor here while CSX trains continue on their own railroad.

Date: 04/29/03 22:21
Re: PHIL and PENN
Author: bronxtale

oaksmodelrr wrote:

I believe PHIL and PENN are the interlockings where the upper level SEPTA trains separate from the lower level Amtrak trains at 30th St.

A SEPTA train coming west from N.Philly would leave the corridor(NYP main) at Girard which was formerly controlled by ZOO, now CETC 6. This takes place at what\'s known as the divider switch. Amtak trains run over this switch in the normal postion for No. 4 river line into N.Penn and the lower levels. SEPTA runs over it reverse for the 3 Suburban to old K tower(Zoo controlled) and then to SEPTA land for the upper levels.

Coming north at Phil Amtrak takes 2 & 3 tracks into S.Penn for the lower levels. Septa takes 4 & 5 tracks to get to the upper levels. NS takes 1 track up to Arsenal and the high line.

Hope this helps.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0443 seconds