Home Open Account Help 380 users online

Passenger Trains > Bumblebee in Utah

Date: 01/15/23 09:26
Bumblebee in Utah
Author: atsf121

BoilingMan has taken to calling this the Bumblebee unit, Amtrak #203 in the Operation Lifesaver scheme.  Bumblebee was the name of the Transformer toy I had as a kid, so it makes me chuckle a little.  Anyhow, I remembered this time - unlike last week - that #6 was late last night and although I had problems with both the Track a Train and Train Status parts of the Amtrak website this morning, I decided to head out to catch it this morning.  Had to wait a little bit, and wasn't quite sure if it was still coming or if I had missed it.  The kids that came with me decided to stay in the car while I stepped out in the growing snow storm to catch some quick photos at the American Fork Frontrunner station.  Pictures turned out ok in spite of the blustery snow.

Nathan

Date: 01/15/23 09:28
Re: Bumblebee in Utah

Going away, I always like watching trains knock signals down.  And you might not be able to see the crossing gates in the distance for 200 S.  You'll notice there's no train horn, building Frontrunner created a quiet zone from Ogden to Provo for both the Frontrunner and UP lines.  It's so normal, that last night the kids heard a train horn and were asking me why.

Nathan

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 01/15/23 09:46
Author: BoilingMan

Ha! I’d forgotten about the Transformer thing. That was kinda after my time and, besides- I had a daughter.
My reference is to the Rio Grande’s NG Bumblebee Scheme.
Anyway
Glad you got a chance to shoot the thing. We’ll see if Chicago flips it for another go around.
SR

Date: 01/15/23 10:43
Author: RailThunder

This sin't the first bumble bee in railroad terms.  In fact many moons ago, long before transformers the Seaboard Coast Line units were called bumble bees.  

Date: 01/15/23 12:09
Author: BlaineM

Nice photos of the "Bumble Bee" in my area with the first photo of the old Sugar Factory chimney in Lehi.  Thanks for braving the weather.
Blaine
American Fork

Date: 01/15/23 13:14
Author: PasadenaSub

Nice photos and video, Nathan.  I'd say it was worth catching.

Rich

Date: 01/15/23 13:25
Author: fooshie

Thanks for posting. Back when I lived in Utah, I'd get on the FrontRunner at this station all the time, often in this sort of weather, always hoping to see something pass on the former DRGW line. Ah, the memories of that train platform on a cold, snowy day.

Date: 01/15/23 18:36

fooshie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for posting. Back when I lived in Utah, I'd
> get on the FrontRunner at this station all the
> time, often in this sort of weather, always hoping
> to see something pass on the former DRGW line. Ah,
> the memories of that train platform on a cold,
> snowy day.

Depending on when you left, you’d be amazed at the changes around the station. Wall to wall multifamily housing south of the station and they are going to finally fix up 200 S this year, according to the sign I passed on the way to the station.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0483 seconds