Home Open Account Help 387 users online

Passenger Trains > Cardinal turning consist

Date: 02/06/23 19:48
Cardinal turning consist
Author: fulham

While watching the Railstream MH Tower Chicago railcam from 6 PM this evening (Monday 2/6) to see the Chicago - Quincy 6 PM train, I happened to catch Amtrak turning the Cardinal. Intersting consist...

The consist rear to front was a V-II baggage dorm, V-II sleeper, AmCafe, 2 AmCoaches, P42 (Cardinal consist), an Amtrak Superliner diner, a Pacific Surfliner car, a V-II baggage, a V-I sleeper, another V-II baggage and on the front another P42. The train backed around the curve from the Union Station leads, stopped and then headed back east to turn on the wye to be properly positioned for departure on Tuesday.  Doors and traps were open. 

So the question I have is, were the cars on the head end of the Cardinal going to Beech Grove, or coming back from Beech Grove? Be nice if they were coming back from Beech Grove to add to the available cars in Chicago.

Also the 6 PM Quincy train was a Charger, an AmCoach, and one AmCafe. Wonder where the Venture cars are?

Date: 02/06/23 22:32
Re: Cardinal turning consist
Author: sethamtrak

fulham Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So the question I have is, were the cars on the
> head end of the Cardinal going to Beech Grove, or
> coming back from Beech Grove? Be nice if they were
> coming back from Beech Grove to add to the
> available cars in Chicago.
>
> Also the 6 PM Quincy train was a Charger, an
> AmCoach, and one AmCafe. Wonder where the Venture
> cars are?

That was train 51 with Beech Grove cars returning to service. Viewliner Sleeper, Surfliner car, and a Superliner Diner are this weeks Beech Grove send offs. They waited to wye since its a low priority considering the Cardinal doesn't leave until tomorrow evening. I suspect the Surfliner car will head home tomorrow on the rear of 3. 

The venture cars for the most part are parked along the Chicago shop building rusting to the rails. There are dozens of coaches, and even brand new all business class cars there. There are a handful or so in service. As for train 383, at least they have business class and food offerings now that the cafe car is back. That's up from one coach and an axle count baggage car recently. 

Also, one superliner diner, and one viewliner sleeper aren't going to make a huge difference in Chicago. If it were 5 or 6 superliners returned to service this week then it would be a different story. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/23 22:33 by sethamtrak.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0356 seconds