Home Open Account Help 229 users online

Passenger Trains > Siemens Charger to AutoTrain

Date: 02/28/23 08:13
Siemens Charger to AutoTrain
Author: GenePoon

AMTK 316 was set out at Sanford, FL AutoTrain terminal by Silver Meteor 98(27). It had been on the rear of the train.

Date: 02/28/23 11:34
Re: Siemens Charger to AutoTrain
Author: Lackawanna484

I wonder if this is for crew training?

Amtrak has been using B32 switchers occasionally on 97/98/91/92, (same unit up and back) so Chargers are a likely next step

Posted from Android

Date: 02/28/23 13:20
Author: IC_2024

Oh boy…. As an engr who runs the current “SC” Chargers ( yes, I haven’t run an “ALC” one yet!), I’ll be very curious to see how these work on that heavy train.
For years, G.E. P-30’s held the assignment followed by F-40’s for a while, then the solid workhorse P-40/42’s—and from Lackawanna484’s post, the former road engines ( now switchers for the most part)
P-32 500-class units make an occasional appearance.
Bottom line: yes, 4-cycle G.E.’s are slow to accelerate, but gosh they can sure lug heavy trains— not so sure about the ALC Chargers, here.
Would like to hear from anyone else who currently runs A-T or has run the ALC’s to see what they think!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/23 13:24 by IC_2024.

Date: 02/28/23 16:48
Author: joemvcnj

Maybe they should make the ALC's be the yard switchers and stay out of trouble. 

Date: 02/28/23 19:13
Author: engineerinvirginia

I understand the ALC version is heavier and can hold more fuel....with two of them, and supposing they have good traction control software...they should haul the auto train decently...provided there isn't a snowstorm. 

Date: 02/28/23 19:27

engineerinvirginia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I understand the ALC version is heavier and can
> hold more fuel....with two of them, and supposing
> they have good traction control software...they
> should haul the auto train decently...provided
> there isn't a snowstorm. 

Haha— yes, the SC ones are “slippery” on wet rail!! But they do have a “snow” brake feature — haha

Date: 02/28/23 21:00
Author: PHall

Well you guys will do what you've always have done. Run what they give ya the best that you can. You guys don't get a say in the matter.

Date: 02/28/23 23:29
Author: coach

If you go up and blow hard into that "X" box opening, chances are the engine will freak out and shut down.  Perfect weather only, please!

SC= Shorthaul Cr*p

ALC = Amtrak's Longhaul Cr*p

Date: 03/01/23 20:45

PHall Wrote:
> Well you guys will do what you've always have
> done. Run what they give ya the best that you can.
> You guys don't get a say in the matter.

My old engr, Abe, always said that, too— “We’ll, Jonesy, we run what they give us!” He was like a Dad to me and I was his fireman when I went into engine service in ‘92. Abe started with Espee in 1950, came over to Amtrak in ‘87 and retired in 2002– a 52-yr career! They don’t make guys like Abe, anymore, and he stood his ground, too— a real hogger!

Date: 03/03/23 19:22
Author: irhoghead

coach Wrote:
> If you go up and blow hard into that "X" box
> opening, chances are the engine will freak out and
> shut down.  Perfect weather only, please!
>
> SC= Shorthaul Cr*p
>
> ALC = Amtrak's Longhaul Cr*p

That is just about perfect!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0466 seconds