Home Open Account Help 209 users online

Passenger Trains > Sunnyside Yard in 2014

Date: 02/28/23 08:59
Sunnyside Yard in 2014
Author: rbenko

Here's a little cell-phone video I took back in August 2014 from a westbound LIRR train headed to Penn Station. It gives an overall view of Amtrak's sprawling Sunnyside Yard  (ex-PRR), where Amtrak and NJTransit trains lay up (and turn on the loop).  Things to notice include both Amtrak ACSes, Toasters (AEM-7s), P32-AC-DMs, and Acela equipment, NJT ALP46s with both single and multi-level coaches, a now-gone tower (name?), and lots and lots of construction for the now complete East Side Access project (connecting LIRR to Grand Central Terminal).  Near the end just before we descend into the East River tunnels, you can see stacks of rail destined to be laid for the 'new' LIRR's Mid-Day Storage yard, which at one time was a LIRR freight yard (yard A??)

It's amazing how different the area is now - East Side Access construction is now complete, and there are a TON more high-rise apartment buildings on both sides of the yard.  Long-term plans are to supposedly deck over the yards and build an entirely new neighborhood - we'll see if that ever comes to pass.

Next time I'm up in the NYC area, I'll try to take another video showing the difference.  However, I'm sure many here on TO who use the LIRR regularly can beat me to the punch and post a 'now' video - that would be cool.

Thanks for viewing.

Rob Benkovitz
West Palm Beach, NY

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 02/28/23 09:31
Re: Sunnyside Yard in 2014
Author: rbenko

BTW, a great resource that explains all the various parts of Sunnyside Yard can be seen HERE

Date: 02/28/23 15:18
Author: SpeederDriver

Back in the day you'd see cars from probably every railroad in the country there.

Date: 03/02/23 13:57
Author: ProAmtrak

Nice video, I didn't know Sunnyside was that big!

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0828 seconds