Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Passenger Trains > Winter Storm Warning for Michigan

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 03/03/23 13:07
Winter Storm Warning for Michigan
Author: PC1974

So let's get to cancelling those pesky trains! HA!

354(03) and it's turn, 351(04) have been cancelled.

364(03) and it's turn, 365(04) also cancelled.

Surely there's more to come......

Date: 03/03/23 13:12
Re: Winter Storm Warning for Michigan
Author: Drknow

It probably will snow east of there so better start canceling trains in the Northeast.

Insanity.

Regards

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/03/23 17:58
Author: ironmtn

This is just ridiculous. This is a substantial storm in the areas served by the Wolverine Service and Blue Water trains, the latter particularly. The heaviest snow will be in a belt right along its route. But it is by no means enough to cause cancellations. NYC / PC and C&O dealt with weather conditions like these routinely. Trains may have been delayed, and it surely wasn't a picnic, but service was provided.

I'm a Michigan resident and taxpayer, and user of these trains (I was on the Blue Water westbound on Tuesday Niles, Mich. - Chicago, and a Wolverine back to Niles just yesterday, Thursday 3/2). Anyone of course can complain about these ridiculous cancellations. But a resident, taxpayer and user has (or ought to have) a little more standing. MDOT will be hearing from me loud and clear on Monday. They have got to bring Amtrak to greater reliability and all-weather service on these routes. And if the call was theirs, either in whole or part, then they have the be made accountable too.

MC
Muskegon, Michigan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/23 17:59 by ironmtn.

Date: 03/03/23 18:38

Novelty transportation. What else can it be called? Not dependable…

Regards

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/03/23 18:48
Author: raytc1944

I worked for thr New York Central and we never canceled trains because of predicted snow flakes.

Date: 03/03/23 19:08
Author: sethamtrak

Mechanical issues too. 352 canned at Battle Creek and towed back to Chicago by 355. 

Date: 03/03/23 19:20
Author: ChicagoCoyote

It seems that the roads will become impassible in eastern Michigan later tonight. Would this be part of the reason these trains are cancelled? Or do Amtrak crews have a way to get to and from their duty locations that isn't impacted by weather?

Date: 03/03/23 20:31

sethamtrak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mechanical issues too. 352 canned at Battle Creek and towed back to Chicago by 355. 

That's working out real good trying to couple those trains together at BTL.. 355 now in "Service Eruption" after 3 hours of DECAY at BTL... HA!

#PCParty

Date: 03/03/23 21:24
Author: P

ChicagoCoyote Wrote:
> It seems that the roads will become impassible in
> eastern Michigan later tonight. Would this be part
> of the reason these trains are cancelled? Or do
> Amtrak crews have a way to get to and from their
> duty locations that isn't impacted by weather?

I've driven in all kinds of bad weather and it is extremely rare for a main road to become impassable despite what state officials say. Their job is to encourage you to stay off the roads, but there are some workers who are essential and they usually get around just fine. There is no reason to cancel trains in most snowy weather conditions. the fact that Amtrak has quickly cancelled trains extremely often in recent years tells me that that don't value the service they provide.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/03/23 22:24

P:

You must not live anywhere west of Chicago. We have these little things called “blizzards” and yes I was not able to get to work. I have gone to town and gotten a room (at company expense) so I could make it to work. Snowdrifts over the hood of your car and whiteout conditions don’t make for getting to work.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/04/23 06:46

The storm has passed in Michigan. It's the "Morning After" and we got 5 to 9 inches of snow. No Blizzard or impassable roads with this storm. Just another round of Amtrak's "I can't do this" attitude.

#PCPride

UPDATED 3/5/2023:

justalurker66 Wrote:
> What is better? Cancelling trains or stranding them? Amtrak certainly does not want to repeat the 19 hour odyssey.

Let's clarify, the 19 hour train wreck had nothing to do with winter weather. Winter storms happen in Michigan each year, and 12 inches or less is no exception weather event. That's just winter. Your post reeked of apathy, and the let's just give up attitude. Amtrak and predecessor railroads would historically call this normal winter operations, and would not abandon ship.. Neither should you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/23 10:51 by PC1974.

Date: 03/04/23 07:59
Author: Lackawanna484

The Bangor MI rail can often give a peek into snow levels in sw Michigan

Posted from Android

Date: 03/04/23 08:40
Author: irhoghead

Look at the bright side. That equipment got an extra 24 hours of mechanical attention. So, now it will make it to 21st St. instead of 14th St. on its way out of Chicago before breaking down. You guys just don't see the big picture. This is how Amtrak works.

Date: 03/04/23 08:46
Author: cabsignaldrop

Best quote of the day!🤣

irhoghead Wrote:
> Look at the bright side. That equipment got an
> extra 24 hours of mechanical attention. So, now it
> will make it to 21st St. instead of 14th St. on
> its way out of Chicago before breaking down. You
> guys just don't see the big picture. This is how
> Amtrak works.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/04/23 08:56

PC1974 Wrote:
> The storm has passed in Michigan. It's the
> "Morning After" and we got 5 to 9 inches of snow.
> No Blizzard or impassable roads with this storm.
> Just another round of Amtrak's "I can't do this"
> attitude.
>
> #PCPride

Sadly, have to agree. This was a fairly routine storm, such as we in Michigan get every winter, multiple times, and have for generations. Road travel was difficult, but not impossible - we know how to deal with snow, and have a large army of snow removal equipment, the very heavy-duty type that can handle the big stuff. The storm was a quick-mover, did its business and moved on. It took a more southeastern track than initially forecast, and while the service areas of the Wolverine and Blue Water (the latter particularly) were in the heaviest snowfall belt (the Blue Water especially), it was definitely not a storm that should have impacted service except to perhaps cause some delays. Definitely not one to cause outright cancellations.

Amtrak and MDOT (to the extent that they were involved in the decision) made a bad call.  And this Michigan taxpayer and fairly regular user of Amtrak's Michigan services (who could have been affected if he had changed travel plans on the Wolverine by one day, as he considered doing) doesn't like it all. Amtrak and MDOT will be hearing from me on Monday. And so will my state legislators and congresspeople.

This kind of crap simply must stop.

MC

Date: 03/04/23 10:14
Author: ChicagoCoyote

I wonder how DTW / Wayne County Airport fared in this routine storm?

Date: 03/04/23 16:04
Author: joemvcnj

After the 19 hour siege, Amtrak was probably not threatened financially by MDOT, so they figure if they can get away with that, they can away with anything. 

Date: 03/04/23 17:18

joemvcnj Wrote:
> After the 19 hour siege, Amtrak was probably not
> threatened financially by MDOT, so they figure if
> they can get away with that, they can away with
> anything. 

And if so, that too must change.

MC

Date: 03/04/23 17:21
Author: joemvcnj

ironmtn Wrote:
> joemvcnj Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > After the 19 hour siege, Amtrak was probably
> not
> > threatened financially by MDOT, so they figure
> if
> > they can get away with that, they can away with
> > anything. 
>
> And if so, that too must change.
>
> MC

Yes, and we are dealing with adult-children testing limits. 

Date: 03/04/23 22:13
Author: justalurker66

What is better? Cancelling trains or stranding them? Amtrak certainly does not want to repeat the 19 hour odyssey.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0873 seconds