Home Open Account Help 353 users online

Passenger Trains > AMTK 184

Date: 03/07/23 00:32
AMTK 184
Author: GenePoon

Report states that the AMTK 184 which was in a special Phase IV scheme (as shown in Amtrak photo of the Heritage diesel schemes), has emerged from Beech Grove paint shop in standard Genesis "Shamoo" livery.

Date: 03/07/23 02:00
Re: AMTK 184
Author: coach

184, as seen in this photo, was wearing what I consider to be AMTRAK's most appealing and professional looking paint design.  And when that scheme was more common, the trains also ran better, had better food, and better reviews.  It seemed teh paint scheme symbolized something internally about AMTRAK at the time.

Date: 03/07/23 09:34
Author: Ondaora20

I completely agree with the post above. I thought it was classic and very businesslike all in one. I felt it was very attractive, and
looked nice!! on the equipment, whether it was on the multicolored grey on the engines, or on the stainless steel of the passenger
cars. And unfortunately, from my view, seems to have been the most short lived.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/23 09:36 by Ondaora20.

Date: 03/07/23 22:43
Author: SPbird

coach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 184, as seen in this photo, was wearing what I
> consider to be AMTRAK's most appealing and
> professional looking paint design.  And when that
> scheme was more common, the trains also ran
> better, had better food, and better reviews.  It
> seemed teh paint scheme symbolized something
> internally about AMTRAK at the time.

So basically 1994 - 2002.
It seemed like phase 4 didn't even have an official "era" applied to motive power. Just when they got the Super I's to match the Super II's and painted a few P40's and 42's in that scheme, and everything was beginning to look clean, matching, standardized, and professional again, they come up with the phV "shamoo" scheme for the power. I just remember thinking "oooo-kay then"

Posted from Android

Date: 03/07/23 23:34
Author: Evan_Werkema

SPbird Wrote:

> So basically 1994 - 2002.

The Phase IV stripes appeared on the new Superliner II's in 1993.  I liked the pattern and was eagerly anticipating a fleet of Phase IV-painted power to go with the cars when the first order of P42DC's started arriving in 1996.  I was very surprised when the units showed up wearing the old Phase III stripes instead.  Only the eleven units assigned to the Northeast Corridor, 101-111, came ffrom GE in a gray-face version of Phase IV in 1997, as did the second order of dual-mode P32AC-DM's delivered the following year. 

In 2000, I was once again eagerly anticipating the delivery of a fleet of locomotives in Phase IV for the long distance trains when the second order of P42DC's started arriving.  Unfortunately, only the first two, 121 and 122, came in Phase IV.  AMTK 123 then debuted the drab and dismal Phase V that, with minor variations, we've been stuck with ever since.

Yeah, 184 was my favorite Amtrak Heritage unit too.  Sorry to see it go.

Date: 03/10/23 16:18
Author: mp51w

184 on #4 West of Florence, KS back in 2020!  That paint scheme was soooo good!
I'm glad that it's just not me that recognizes such a quality "traditional" striped scheme.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0382 seconds