Home Open Account Help 356 users online

Passenger Trains > What ever happened to the Copper Canyon Passenger Cars?

Date: 05/22/23 12:08
What ever happened to the Copper Canyon Passenger Cars?
Author: ApproachCircuit

I was on I-8 headed towards San Diego but had always wanted to stop at Mexicali and check out the SBC depot and cars if any.
I got to the depot readily but found it closed as the nightly passenger had been discontinued years before. At that time there was a
direct Pullman car to Guadalajara. There wasn't a soul around but the Pullman car, all locked up tight, stood in front of the now closed
station. It was either a 12-1 or maybe a 10-2-1 heavyweight. It was in excellent condition.
But then things got interesting: I came across a crew, all americans and mostly college aged kids working on the Copper Canyon Train for it's
next trip. I remember the trains being advertised for years in all the RR rags and travel books/magazines. Everybody there was quite friendly and 
I walked thru all the cars. One guy I talked to seemed to be the manager of the crew etc and pointed out one Pullman car to me and
said there was only two cars of it's kind left in the USA. I think he might have said it was a NYC car in the beginning. Maybe some readers can
fill us out with details. I think the interior had some "duplex type rooms" mixed in with other accomodations? 
It wasn't much longer after that, the company sponsoring the Copper Canyon trips quit doing so.

happy Memorial Day

Date: 05/22/23 12:15
Re: What ever happened to the Copper Canyon Passenger Cars?
Author: dan

banana fish tours?  they had the sp dome that went to CP via cc&rg , the guy wanted 100k  for it was named for his wife, a drawbar was pulled out in ogden on it's way east, which would have killed me to fix, but i am unsure about heavyweights with banafish so iam probably wrong

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/23 13:31 by dan.

Date: 05/22/23 13:28
Re: What ever happened to the Copper Canyon Passenger Cars?
Author: RRBMail

Those may be one of the real Pullman cars that had once operated in California that I had been arranging to be donated to CSRM with the compliments of the Mexican Pullman Company. Ultimately, the bosses at CSRM rejected it in favor of the Canadian National sleeper that was the heartthrob of R&LHS President Fred Stindt--so as not to piss him off or so I was told by CSRM management. 

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/23 13:30 by RRBMail.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0499 seconds