Home Open Account Help 367 users online

Passenger Trains > Pans Up over Mianus

Date: 05/23/23 20:00
Pans Up over Mianus
Author: tq-07fan

One of many bridges on the Metro North's former New Haven Shore Line is this one over the Mianus River Pond between Cos Cob to the south (right side) and Riverside to the north (left side). These are all a little after 7 pm Tuesday May 23 2023. 
1) A diesel powered northbound at 7:09 pm.
2) A five car train north at 7:11 pm.
3) An eight car train north at 7:16 pm, (A seven car train went north at 7:14 pm)

Edited: I thought trains were dropping there pantpgrphs but it's the opposite, see the reply.below from mopac 1978.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/23 02:47 by tq-07fan.

Date: 05/23/23 20:01
Re: Pans Down over Mianus

I could not determine the train IDs on the all those northbound Metro North trains but I could easily figure out the Acela.
4) Amtrak Acela 2173 running nine minutes late southbound at 7:18 pm. 

Thank you for looking!

Jim

Date: 05/23/23 20:58
Re: Pans Down over Mianus
Author: mopac1978

IIRC, trains don't go "pans down" over these bridges, in fact, just the opposite.  The contact wire gradually slopes up on each side of the bridge until it's higher than what a raised pan can reach, so the trains actually go "pans up" all the way across this span.  

Date: 05/24/23 03:01
Re: Pans Up over Mianus

^^^^

I took another look at these and realized that is a pans up gap. A now deceased friend long ago told me there were bridges like that but did not realize this was one of them. 

Thank you for the correction.

Jim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0329 seconds