Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Passenger Trains > Howard Street Tunnel, Baltimore, Maryland

Date: 05/30/23 13:47
Howard Street Tunnel, Baltimore, Maryland
Author: DefectDetector

Other than the ceremonial groundbreaking ceremony held in November 2021, has any construction commenced to improve clearances in CSX's Howard Street Tunnel in Baltimore, MD?
Respectfully,
DL

Date: 05/30/23 20:03
Re: Howard Street Tunnel, Baltimore, Maryland
Author: illini73

The Howard Street Tunnel lent its name to the entire effort to provide double-stack clearances on the CSX I-95 corridor.  There are actually 23 (or maybe 24) individual projects in the "HST Project".  CSX actually started work further North in 2022 on a track-lowering project, I believe in Pennsylvania.  The entire effort will not wrap up until 2025, according to initial estimates.  I'm not aware of any actual work in Baltimore as yet, though the engineers and project managers may be hard at work with final design, securing permits, co-ordinating utility work, and so forth.

There are no passenger trains through the Howard Street Tunnel proper - the MARC Camden Line ends near the South Portal.  The B&P and Union Tunnels on the Amtrak NEC handle all the passenger trains.

Date: 05/31/23 18:35
Re: Howard Street Tunnel, Baltimore, Maryland
Author: march_hare

Should probably move this to the eastern RR board. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0307 seconds