Home Open Account Help 270 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak CEO Testifies Before House Hearing on Improving Operations

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 06/06/23 18:55
Amtrak CEO Testifies Before House Hearing on Improving Operations
Author: restricted_speed

This is available on a popular video hosting site on the internet. It is about 2 hours 45 minutes in length, and in my opinion is well worth watching.

Date: 06/06/23 19:17
Re: Amtrak CEO Testifies Before House Hearing on Improving Operat
Author: lordsigma

I really was not impressed at all by the chair who seemed to be in the tank for the AAR and class 1s. It was the same old stuff about Amtrak not being profitable. Some of the criticism about the bonuses was interesting but some of that was in the context of the profitability thing rather than any of the operational issues most here would object to the bonuses on. Gardner did have some decent responses to some of the profitability stuff.

Date: 06/06/23 22:31
Author: pdt

I dont think my blood pressure could handle it.   Dopes in congress with political agendas, trying to look good in front of their constituents.
If Gardner spoke in the face of  the "we dont want to spend any money for public benefit" crowd, at least that would be good, IMHO.  Thats one thing i dodnt like about Boardman...he was always apologizing.

Date: 06/07/23 04:27

pdt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I dont think my blood pressure could handle
> it.   Dopes in congress with political agendas,
> trying to look good in front of their
> constituents.
> If Gardner spoke in the face of  the "we dont
> want to spend any money for public benefit" crowd,
> at least that would be good, IMHO.  Thats one
> thing i dodnt like about Boardman...he was always
> apologizing.

The best part about watching a recorded version of something like this is that you can skip stuff you don't need or want to watch.

I think your blood pressure can handle it. I say go for it!

Date: 06/07/23 04:29

lordsigma Wrote:
> I really was not impressed at all by the chair who
> seemed to be in the tank for the AAR and class 1s.
> It was the same old stuff about Amtrak not being
> profitable. Some of the criticism about the
> bonuses was interesting but some of that was in
> the context of the profitability thing rather than
> any of the operational issues most here would
> object to the bonuses on. Gardner did have some
> decent responses to some of the profitability
> stuff.

IMO Gardner had good responses to just about every question.

I came away with a distinctly different impression of him than how I have seen him characterized here.

Date: 06/07/23 04:48
Author: agent1522

I have watched enough of these types broadcasts, especially when it comes to Amtrak.  The politicians are just grandstanding and Gardner just spews his same old BS which is promptly ignored once he returns to the office.

Date: 06/07/23 05:24
Author: Lackawanna484

agent1522 Wrote:
> I have watched enough of these types broadcasts,
> especially when it comes to Amtrak.  The
> politicians are just grandstanding and Gardner
> just spews his same old BS which is promptly
> ignored once he returns to the office.

Congressional hearings run by either party tend to be highly scripted affairs. Carefully worked out in advance by staff on the CEO side and on the Congress side. Fake outrage, indignant response, repeat...

People like Gardner, John Snow, Andrew Card, etc have worked BOTH SIDES of this street over the years.

Posted from Android

Date: 06/07/23 06:52
Author: ShortlinesUSA

Here's the link if anyone doesn't know where to search for it--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCCp64Dn8Us

You'll have to right click it and copy or some other work around in your browser.

Date: 06/07/23 06:59
Author: Flyer92122

“This is remarkable, and the best post-pandemic performance of any U.S. passenger rail operator,” Gardner said in an opening statement

I don't know what to make of this quote besides laugh.  I guess it's true when compared to the likes of Caltrain, Brightline might take exception to the comment depending on perimeters however. Kinda apples and oranges comparison though. That said kudos to Gardner yesterday, let's hope things do start to get better.

https://www.courthousenews.com/amtrak-ceo-grilled-on-rail-infrastructure-train-security/

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/23 07:04 by Flyer92122.

Date: 06/07/23 07:36
Author: ronald321

I watched all 2+ hours of this--didn't miss a word.  Maybe 30 minutes were interesting, and somewhat hopeful.

My take away from those "interesting 30 minutes".

.  System ridership has recovered to almost 90% of pre-Covid 2019. 
.  NEC Regional Trains are doing extremely well -- Acelas not doing as well, but are recovering.
.  Amtrak could approach break even next year -- and again handle 32 million passengers as they did in 2019.
.  Gardner mentioned a "Hunter Flyover" which will permit a one-seat ride into Penn Station for NJT Raritan Valley  trains (never heard this before)
.  A Long Distance car order will be sent to Builders later this year. Gardner said the order will be huge -- "Bigger than the New York Central car order of 1948", 
.  Gardner once worked as a dispatcher for a freight railroad -- and he said railroads can handle passenger trains without hurting their freight customers.
.  Although Gardner did a good job of defending his bonuses--I had the feeling the lawmakers present were hostile to him  for receiving them.
. He defended his Bonuses by saying -  Amtrak is about the size of a Class-1 railroad, and these CEO's make many many millions in salary (his is 500K),
-  also, in order to receive bonuses, he had to give up getting a pension.

. one of the Congressman made the statement that Siemens is very "aggressive" to deal with -- and has been charged with unethical behavior in the past.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/23 07:46 by ronald321.

Date: 06/07/23 08:17
Author: Lackawanna484

The Hunter flyover is in Newark NJ. When Raritan Valley trains leave the LV main line they descend a track to meet the NEC just south of Newark Penn. To get to the eastbound platforms and line up for NY Penn, they have to cross over the NEC four tracks.

The flyover would place inbound trains over on the tracks A and 1 side.

Not unlike the Turn back at North Brunswick, this minimizes crossing over main tracks at low speed.

This was envisioned in the 1967 Aldene cut over, but they never got around to it.

Posted from Android

Date: 06/07/23 08:29
Author: PC1974

Date: 06/07/23 09:00
Author: aehouse

ronald321 Wrote:
>
> .  A Long Distance car order will be sent to
> Builders later this year. Gardner said the order
> will be huge -- "Bigger than the New York Central
> car order of 1948", 

So much for Gardner trying to axe the LD network.

Art House

Date: 06/07/23 09:45
Author: jp1822

aehouse Wrote:
> ronald321 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > .  A Long Distance car order will be sent to
> > Builders later this year. Gardner said the
> order
> > will be huge -- "Bigger than the New York
> Central
> > car order of 1948", 
> > 
>
> So much for Gardner trying to axe the LD network.
>
> Art House

He's not looking to axe it, nor can he, but he certainly is doing a good job at "leading" it into a lackluster business unit.

And yes, I did listen to the political theater - aka his testimony before the House on improving operations. He talks VERY well (always has in this arena), and he can also move his finger VERY well - to line up any excuses or blame. For example, LOTS of finger pointing back to the States on the Venture equipment. That's fine - but he even admitted that this is causing a strain on Amtrak's national equipment. Be a partner to the States, and figure out this dilemna that is also directly and indirectly causing an Amtrak problem.

Amtrak is NOT solving their capacity issue aggressively as they could. I made reference to this and potential solutions in another post. Gardner's been with Amtrak for 14 years. He's seen some of these solutions play out successfully in the past when Amtrak has needed equipment, so I am mystified as to why he's not looking to finding better solutions - knowing the backlog at Beech Grove, Hialeah, etc.  

Date: 06/07/23 12:24
Author: lordsigma

He didn’t say back to break even next year he said only back to pre pandemic ridership. Break even possibly in 5 years. He mentioned all the work and hiring related to IIJA, pandemic recovery activities, and other activities will all increase operating expenses the next few years.

Date: 06/07/23 12:55
Author: ronald321

aehouse:

Yes, it is hopeful that Gardner says he might order LD equipment -- but until he announces what
kind of equipment (Diners, Lounges, Sleepers) - or single level or hi-level --  all we have are words (at this point).

Don't get me wrong -- it's very hopeful, and we will have to wait to see if he is telling the truth.

However, you can AX LD trains in a lot of ways (even if they had new equipment),   For example:
.  Downgrade food service--(I here it's getting better in the West--not so much in the East)
.  Ban coach passengers from diners (still prevelent in the East)
.  Remove lounge cars
.  Run extremely short consists in peak season.
.  Run very filthy dirty trains
.  Locate sleepers directly  behind the locomotive (fumes and blaring horns all night long)

Gardner is responsible for all the above negative things -- Nevertheless, it is hopeful that new equipment may be ordered (and not just "Studied")

Date: 06/07/23 16:37
Author: ProAmtrak

Not holding my breath on the LD Order, that's been going on since the mid 2000s and nothing has come of it, and if he's deteremined on working on getting things pre pandemic PUT THE LD CONSISTS BACK TO NORMNAL YEAR ROUND!! I am not buying the shortage crap, it's time they get the LD Trains back to their normal consists!

Date: 06/07/23 17:01
Author: Lurch_in_ABQ

Date: 06/08/23 14:53

I wish he had been asked about taking the lounge cars off of LD trains.

And also about the Capitol Limited specifically.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/23 14:54 by restricted_speed.

Date: 06/08/23 15:57
Author: jp1822

restricted_speed Wrote:
> I wish he had been asked about taking the lounge
> cars off of LD trains.
>
> And also about the Capitol Limited specifically.

The lack of adequate train capacity at present was questioned by at least one House member, but only lightly dealt with. Attrition, lack of mechanical staff, training etc. were given as an answer by Gardener. He was trying to peddle goods that "all should be better" by end of FY2024. So it was a kick the can down the road, coinciding with the main theme of the show "the best is yet to come."

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1204 seconds