Home Open Account Help 230 users online

Passenger Trains > FL: An opinion on the Treasure Coast BrightLine station plans

Date: 02/23/24 06:31
FL: An opinion on the Treasure Coast BrightLine station plans
Author: Lackawanna484

TC Palm's Indian River County opinion writer offers his views on the pro / con of locating a new BrightLine station in Stuart, or two proposals in Fort Pierce.  He observes that the use of public money without any real oversight or cost-benefit analysis hasn't ended well in the past.   Indian River County / Vero Beach has made it clear that it doesn't want any part of the station selection process.

https://www.tcpalm.com/story/opinion/columnists/laurence-reisman/2024/02/23/brightline-station-proposals-fort-pierce-stuart-neat-but-is-government-involvement-wise/72655692007/

Date: 02/23/24 11:19
Re: FL: An opinion on the Treasure Coast BrightLine station plans
Author: ts1457

Thanks for posting the article.

Lackawanna484, which alternative do you think is most likely and which one do you prefer?

Date: 02/24/24 07:42
Author: Lackawanna484

ts1457 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for posting the article.
>
> Lackawanna484, which alternative do you think is
> most likely and which one do you prefer?

In this part of Florida, you do well to follow the big developers. They own the politicians.

In a perfect world, I would like to see stations in Stuart, Fort Pierce, and Vero Beach. And "local" trains serving them. Expresses blow through.

I suspect Fort Pierce will get the nod, assuming the mystery two proposals aren't spectacular.

Martin County is beginning a pendulum swing back to controlled development. And away from unrestricted, stupid developer deals. BrightLine is undoubtedly aware of that.

In contrast St Lucie County is throwing stacks of money at any shiny object. That is right up BrightLine's alley, esp with a lot of vacant land around train sites, and a developer who already has approved site plans with a station.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/24/24 09:14
Author: ts1457

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In a perfect world, I would like to see stations
> in Stuart, Fort Pierce, and Vero Beach. And
> "local" trains serving them. Expresses blow
> through.
>
> I suspect Fort Pierce will get the nod, assuming
> the mystery two proposals aren't spectacular.

Appreciate it.

Sounds like one of the sites in Ft. Pierce will be the chosen, I think good highway access would be an important consideration for the station.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0371 seconds