Home Open Account Help 279 users online

Passenger Trains > CONO Trip

Date: 02/25/24 13:40
CONO Trip
Author: UP3806

The wife and I just returned on a round trip from Chicago to New Orleans on the City of New Orleans. GE 147 did the honors southbound and GE 151 northbound. With lots of schedule padding we were 'on time' both ways and arrived at both destinations about an hour early. 
Sleepers were on the rear both ways and the equipment was reasonably clean both inside and out. Windows were clean! 
Crews both ways were friendly, attentive and available as needed. 
Track was reasonbly smooth most of the trip except for northern Mississippi where there was a whole lotta shakin' goin' on.
We stayed with sandwiches for the meals. They were good but nothing like the fare of yesteryear. When asked each way about the return of a dining car both car attendants stated they had heard from rumor mill that maybe sometime later this year......
All in all we had a pleasant experience.

Tom

Date: 02/25/24 13:55
Re: CONO Trip
Author: Lackawanna484

Sounds like a good trip.

Sandwiches can be an excellent foundation for a light meal sevice. Good breads, selections of cold cuts and toppings, etc.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/25/24 15:34
Author: jp1822

Is the CONO running with just one sleeper, or two sleepers, or one sleeper and one Superliner Trans-Dorm Sleeper? Just curious. This train typically was just one Superliner Sleeper and then a Superliner Trans-Dorm Sleeper. But with the axle count requirement......

Date: 02/26/24 13:40
Author: NPRocky

That is still the current arrangement.

Date: 02/26/24 14:50
Author: wa4umr

I guess nothing has changed.  I rode the CONO about 15 years ago and I remember the trip through Mississippi.  I thought
maybe the train was taking a dirt road.

John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0338 seconds