Home Open Account Help 322 users online

Passenger Trains > On board #98 today/tomorrow

Date: 02/26/24 07:10
On board #98 today/tomorrow
Author: Chessie1963

Since I have noticed that train exteriors are cleaner of late, I decided to jump back onto Amtrak to check things out.  I am traveling from Fort Lauderdale to Boston and home to NH.  

Today's northbound from Miami arrived a few minutes late at Lauderdale, being moved along by two clean Chargers.  The Chargers were cleaner than the train.  HOWEVER, the train is not filthy by any stretch, just a bit dirty.  Honestly, it looks like the train probably made the trip south from NYC to Miami and was not washed when turned.  So I shan't complain about the train exterior.

The interior is staffed by a good crew, very pleasant, efficient, and welcoming.  I do not recognize any of them, and normally I do since I ride this train often.  Breakfast was being served when I boarded, so I took advantage.  The dining crew is solid and very friendly.  

The 9810 car is an older Viewliner that needs some TLC.  I am in 9811, a Viewliner II.  It is great, and smells clean.

More as it develops.  

Date: 02/26/24 07:30
Re: On board #98 today/tomorrow
Author: CP8888

Encouraging. Thanks for writing (the old time word for posting).

Date: 02/26/24 10:28

Lunch was great, the diner looked like Reggies from Seinfeld.  There were just a few of us at the 1230 seating.  As expected, the server says all hell breaks loose at Orlando when the crowd boards.  

We are a few minutes late, having met the Star (pretty clean and running a bit late) where we took the siding just past Auburndale.  The Meteor (97(25)) passed us just a minute ago.  The train was filthy.  So I have no idea what happened with washing trains.  Maybe it is done monthly whether they need it or not?

Good trip so far.  The crews can make or break a trip, and these folks are delivering.  Now if we can just get management and maintence to do the same...

Date: 02/26/24 10:52

Here are two videos.  The first is #91, the second is #97, from today.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 02/26/24 11:56
Author: cutboy1958

Connections  to  Athens  are  very  bad.

Date: 02/26/24 12:15

Haha!  Pretty sure there is no public transport left that will take you to/from Athens, Ohio.

Sad.

cutboy1958 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Connections  to  Athens  are  very  bad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/24 12:15 by Chessie1963.

Date: 02/26/24 13:22
Author: cutboy1958

Rumor  is there  is  no  car  washer  at  Sunnyside  since  LIRR    needed   that  land  to   run  trains  into  Grand  Central Madison.  Anyone  kow for  sure  maybe   a  visual inspection!!?  Thanks

Date: 02/26/24 16:57
Author: jp1822

cutboy1958 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rumor  is there  is  no  car  washer  at
>  Sunnyside  since  LIRR    needed   that
>  land  to   run  trains  into  Grand
>  Central Madison.  Anyone  kow for  sure
>  maybe   a  visual inspection!!?  Thanks

This had been discussed and on the drawing/dismantling board YEARS ago. It was an issue - or in the ROW that the LIRR needed to use. But it was also understood - or so I thought - that the LIRR had to make good on this and figure out a way to mitigate and also then reconstruct and put a replacement in. That's pretty basic when you are negotiating ROW or construction. Whatever you rip out that needs to be replaced, must complete it! I guess what I am trying to say - this should not be a 2024 excuse or issue. Should have been solved......

Date: 02/26/24 19:07
Author: fulham

Looking at Google maps (and seeing over the past 6 months from NH bound trains out of NYP), there is a car washer on the southbound leg of the balloon tracks leading into Sunnyside Yard. These double tracks can be seen on the right side of any Amtrak train leaving NYP for NH/SPG/BOS.  I don't see any conflict with any other tracks.  Don't know if this is an operable car washer, but it looks new and would be able to clean any consist being turned at NYP.   

Has anyone else noticed this or has any other info.?

Date: 02/27/24 11:27

We hit NYC just a bit late after a slow crawl from Alexandria to DC.  30 minute loco change and on the move.  

Great trip overall.  Glad I decided to take the Meteor rather than fly.  This time.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0361 seconds