Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Passenger Trains > California Zephyr Trip Report #6(2/25)

Date: 03/12/24 07:18
California Zephyr Trip Report #6(2/25)
Author: restricted_speed

I boarded for my return trip from Roseville, CA on the California Zephyr on Sunday February 25th.

The train arrived on time, and just like a week prior the car smelled fresh and was clean. This time I was in the 31 sleeper. And again it was a refreshed (and apparently recently shopped) Superliner II - another quiet riding car with clean windows. I definitely prefer the 31 sleeper as it is a quieter ride, with a short walk to the diner.

Karen was my attendant. She introduced herself immediately after I boarded, and after a few minutes I headed to lunch. I didn't comment much in my prior report about the food, but that was only because it was consistently good at every meal - and I knew what to expect based on my prior trip only a few months earlier. Lunch out of Roseville was as good as always, and I chose the brownie as my dessert. They did something different with it this time though, heating it and topping it with sauce and whipped cream. Holy crap was that thing good!

All was well until Colfax, where we sat for a very long time. Listening to the radio, the engineer was obviously irritated about the situation. Apparently #5 was near the Colfax station as well, and had stopped with its hind end not clear of a signal. And UP had 2 freights ahead of us on the hill. The engineer's tone said it all. He was essentially saying "Why do they do this? They know better!!". It took a while to sort out, and even after getting underway again we faced approach signals and so the going was slow. This ended up putting us about 2.5 hours behind, and absolutely none of it was Amtrak's fault.

One of the conductor's announcements during all this was amusing. He said something like "Thank you for your patience ladies and gentlemen. We here at Amtrak just borrow all this stuff - tracks and signals and the like. We go where they want us and when they tell us to go."

After Truckee I heard a sound from the hallway, only this time I knew exactly what it was. Karen was vacuuming! And she was a veteran employee - having been with Amtrak for 35 years, so she wasn't a new hire trying to impress. She also mopped up melted snow that had been tracked into the vestibule at Truckee etc. Once again I was impressed.

After dinner, I returned to my roomette and was surprised to find my bed turned down for the night. I had not requested this, and I had stowed some of my things in the upper berth. But she did a great job. All of my things were fine, and it was definitely nice to be able to lay down and relax. Oh and even the thermostat in my roomette worked as it should. I was able to adjust the temperature to my liking and I had a good night.

I had breakfast out of Salt Lake City with Paul. He had just boarded at SLC. He and his wife had purchased an Amtrak package to Glenwood Springs in a bedroom. It was his first time riding Amtrak - he said it was something they had always wanted to do. He was already impressed and was really enjoying his breakfast in the diner.

This was a different OBS crew than on my #5 a week prior, but overall they were just as good. The dining car crew particularly was energetic and upbeat. You could tell they enjoyed what they were doing. I could also tell by the way the food was plated that there seemed to be a little extra effort being made. The LSA was named Reesey. She was terrific.

As usual a huge crowd boarded at Glenwood Springs - but also 30-35 people got on at Winter Park. This train is really popular. I had planned to maybe take video out the hind end through Glenwood and Gore Canyons - but I was unable to because there were two private cars on the back - on their way to Albany-Rensselaer.

The entire way, everything was kept neat, clean and tidy in my car - including rest rooms and the shower/dressing room. Vacuuming was done multiple times. I applaud Amtrak, as this seems to be a newly minted policy. It makes a real difference.

With regard to train handling, I do have one question. Frequently during braking the slack would bunch up. It's minorly annoying from a ride quality standpoint, but I wonder why it happens? Is it a case of a difference in brake adjustment on individual cars? Or is it possibly an artifact from blended braking?

The time lost at Colfax was never really made up. My arrival back at Mount Pleasant was a couple of hours off the advertised, but it made no difference to me. It was an excellent end to my journey - and I'm already thinking of making this trip again as soon as I can. 

(I took this video immediately after de-training at Mount Pleasant)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/24 07:30 by restricted_speed.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/12/24 09:36
Re: California Zephyr Trip Report #6(2/25)
Author: WAF

There was a time many ages ago in the early 80s, SP busted its ass to keep 5/6 on time, additional locomotives if needed

Date: 03/12/24 09:57
Author: RevRandy

Thanks for the great report (yes, the warming touch on the brownie makes it sooooooo good). And especially thanks for the video, with the Webb Rail cars on the rear. 

Date: 03/12/24 12:30
Author: atsf121

WAF Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There was a time many ages ago in the early 80s,
> SP busted its ass to keep 5/6 on time, additional
> locomotives if needed

I remember seeing large Zephyrs rolling past my high school and it seemed like there was an extra SP unit leading in the winter. The good old days!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/12/24 13:54
Author: OmahaTom

Thanks for the report! Planning an Omaha-Glenwood Springs and back in the sleeper with my wife this Summer! Looking forward to it! (I'll keep an eye out for that brownie!)

Tom Loftus
Omaha, NE

Date: 03/12/24 17:56
Author: NPRocky

Regarding the slack action, I've heard that Amtrak is now requiring its engineers to just use the train brake valve while braking and not allowing them to do things that would bunch or stretch the slack during slowing, like preventing the engine brakes from applying.  Amtrak also really likes blended braking.  So there's not a lot Amtrak engineers can do about slack.  

Date: 03/12/24 21:01
Author: elueck

Thanks for the video.  It reminded me of the time over 50 years ago that I put my current girlfriend on the CZ to return to Chicago from a weekend with me in Iowa City.   What I remember the most is that when we got to Mt. Pleasant, about 15 minutes before train time, I figured that the CZ would be running somewhat late.  WRONG.  It was precisely on time.  Slowed down to a crawl but never stopped.  Passengers exited from one door, and boarded through several others, and the train highballed as soon as the last trap shut, even before the door was closed.   Frankly, I was amazed, as my prior experience with the Q was on the line from Chicago to St. Paul, with the overnight Black Hawk - Mainstreeter - Western Star which was often late especially westbound into Chicago.  I guess that the premier trains got better treatment than the overnight mail trains. 

Date: 03/12/24 23:26
Author: dan

NPRocky Wrote:
> Regarding the slack action, I've heard that Amtrak
> is now requiring its engineers to just use the
> train brake valve while braking and not allowing
> them to do things that would bunch or stretch the
> slack during slowing, like preventing the engine
> brakes from applying.  Amtrak also really likes
> blended braking.  So there's not a lot Amtrak
> engineers can do about slack.  

i thought i hear the dynamic brake whine coming into denver

Date: 03/13/24 02:24
Author: Wabash52

I also really appreciate your reporting. It's going to be a while until I can make my next trip and reports like this kinda hold me over.
And dang, that Northern Pacific paint job is stunning!

Date: 03/13/24 06:15
Author: Drknow

If slack is coming in it’s from dyno’s , NOT using the jammer. I have never run Amjoke trains but when I catch a business train it is automatic break and that’s it. Keep it tight and stretched is what the Old Heads taught me.

Regards

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/13/24 17:33
Author: chakk

I'm surprised that both of the private varnish appear to be empty in the video.

Hakk

Date: 03/13/24 19:56
Author: AndyBrown

Good report and nice video of the private cars.  I see local railfan "agent" Ron Graber was on duty as usual.

Andy

Date: 03/14/24 09:56

chakk Wrote:
> I'm surprised that both of the private varnish
> appear to be empty in the video.

There were apparently some passengers who got off at Reno, but after that I think both cars were empty. I walked back at Reno and at Grand Junction and talked with the manager both times who was riding the cars.

I was going to go back again at Denver and see about having a look inside these cars, but I was too lazy. It was dark, I was sleepy and way too comfortable in bed to be bothered. In fact I didn't even get off the train - ha!

Date: 03/16/24 07:28

AndyBrown Wrote:
> Good report and nice video of the private cars. 
> I see local railfan "agent" Ron Graber was on duty as usual.

Yes Ron was there. Is he strictly a volunteer I wonder? Or is he paid by Amtrak?

He handles checked bags at Mount Pleasant. Would Amtrak actually have a volunteer doing something like that?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/24 07:29 by restricted_speed.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0604 seconds