Home Open Account Help 247 users online

Passenger Trains > Boston Transit action

Date: 03/20/24 05:37
Boston Transit action
Author: JPB

Had occasion to ride into Boston on the T Wednesday evening 3/13/24. Spent a couple of minutes on the Northeastern University pedestrian overpass over the busy Orange Line and Amtrak/Commuter Rail tracks. 
#1: Oak Grove bound Orange Line train is stopped at the Mass Ave station and is passed by inbound Franklin Line train #754 being shoved by F40PH-3C #1052.
#2: A Forest Hills bound OL train dwells at Mass Ave. New CRRC-built cars have arrived in sufficient quantity to permit retirement of the 45 year old fleet of Hawker Siddeley cars.
#3: On my way home, I rode one of the relatively new CAF-built Type 9 Green Line cars (4-5 years old) for the first time, shown here outbound at the Chestnut Hill station on the D Riverside line  Very nicely appointed and spritely performance (I think it has an overspeed alerter that went off a couple of times as rolled west at 40mph). The MBTA has selected CAF to design and build the next gen Type 10 "Supercar" trolleys due to arrive in 2026-27.
MBTA Type 10 Supercar

Date: 03/20/24 09:51
Re: Boston Transit action
Author: GP25

Im surprised CAF is still making rail cars.

Did they improve much?

Jerry Martin
Los Angeles, CA
Central Coast Railroad Festival

Date: 03/20/24 12:09
Author: MEKoch

CAF is a BIG car builder in Europe.  I think their U.S. efforts were slow, but so far the cars themselves and the equipment fleet looks to work well and is not poorly made.  In retrospect CAF I think underbid their first U.S. contract for Viewliner 2s just to get into the U.S. market, but then found rough going to produce the cars in a timely fashion.  

I would like them to produce 100 V2 coaches and 35 V2 lounges, so that eastern long distance train are all of one fleet.  If they were paid $4-5 M per car, I suspect the results would appear quickly.  I do not want Siemens to get anywhere near LD equipment.  

Date: 03/20/24 12:12
Author: joemvcnj

CAF did a lousy job with the WMATA 5000's, with poor load sensors causing derailments. They have been scrapped. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0431 seconds