Home Open Account Help 253 users online

Passenger Trains > F40's on the Peninsula

Date: 03/21/24 20:01
F40's on the Peninsula
Author: Jadon

With the days of Stadler EMU's being the face of Caltrain getting closer I made a trip out to California to experience the railroads fleet of classic F40 locomotives for myself at least once. The weather while I was there wasn't amazing, cloudy and some rain, with only one truly sunny day. That didn't hamper any plans as F40's with their surely SP inspired lighting packages look sharp no matter the conditions.
1) A southbound has just departed South San Francisco and is about to cross Linden Ave before slowing for San Bruno
2) A San Jose bound Baby Bullet skirts along the Brisbane Lagoon having just started its run south a few minutes prior
3) A northbound passing through Bayshore on track number 1

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/24 20:19 by Jadon.

Date: 03/21/24 20:07
Re: F40's on the Peninsula

1) Having just exited tunnel number 4 a southbound train slows for the station stop at Bayshore, the sky littered with catenary.
2) Next to the 1897 built station depot, a midday local served by a "bomb" set makes its station stop enroute to San Jose
3)Twenty minutes later a limited service train arrives in a heavy downpour with power by an F40PH-2CAT

Date: 03/21/24 20:10

1) After getting lunch I went down to San Jose to shoot and wait out some evening traffic back north. The first train was this gallery set headed north towards San Francisco
2) A southbound passing the least used station on the corridor, only 4 trains a day stop here, 2 each one, 1 in the morning, and 1 in the evening
3) Next at Santa Clara a southbound is seen arriving next to the old switch tower at the station

Date: 03/21/24 21:13
Author: chakk

The train stops at College Park station are timed to school hours at the nearby Bellarmine College Preparatory -- a Jesuit hgh school.

Hakk

Date: 03/22/24 07:29
Author: texchief1

Nice coverage!  Thanks for sharing.

texchief1

Date: 03/22/24 09:24
Author: Peak45068

Thanks for these pictures. I’m looking forward to riding these F40’s one final time in a couple of weeks.

I’m taking Train 5 from Denver to Emeryville, ride the Caltrains for three days, then Train 6 Emeryville to Chicago.

Englishman in America

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/22/24 12:17

Peak45068 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for these pictures. I’m looking forward
> to riding these F40’s one final time in a couple
> of weeks.
>
> I’m taking Train 5 from Denver to Emeryville,
> ride the Caltrains for three days, then Train 6
> Emeryville to Chicago.
>
> Englishman in America
>
> Posted from iPhone

Enjoy! That's almost what we did but the blizzard over the Sierra's had us ending up on the Southwest Chief to LA and then driving up from there. Still a very enjoyable trip

Date: 03/22/24 15:29
Author: 37176

Peak45068 Wrote:

> I’m taking Train 5 from Denver to Emeryville,
> ride the Caltrains for three days, then Train 6
> Emeryville to Chicago.
>
> Englishman in America
>
> Posted from iPhone

Same. I'm flying into Chicago on 2nd April, doing Metra, some driving between Omaha and Texas for stormchasing and the eclipse, eventually making it to the Bay Area for some F40's there. Plan is to be on Caltrain all day on 22nd. Then its upm to Portland, Havre MT, Milwaukee and possibly New York befoe flying back from Chicago on 6th May.

Rugby

Date: 03/22/24 17:18
Author: Peak45068

37176 Wrote:
> Peak45068 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > I’m taking Train 5 from Denver to Emeryville,
> > ride the Caltrains for three days, then Train 6
> > Emeryville to Chicago.
> >
> > Englishman in America
> >
> > Posted from iPhone
>
> Same. I'm flying into Chicago on 2nd April, doing
> Metra, some driving between Omaha and Texas for
> stormchasing and the eclipse, eventually making it
> to the Bay Area for some F40's there. Plan is to
> be on Caltrain all day on 22nd. Then its upm to
> Portland, Havre MT, Milwaukee and possibly New
> York befoe flying back from Chicago on 6th May.
>
> Rugby

Sounds great mate.

I actually get off Train 5 at SLC for 24 hours to bash Frontrunner for a day, then proceed west. My trip runs 06-04 to 14-04.

I like those MPI’s as well. We call them ‘Snoopy’s’!

I’m back to England for the West Somerset Gala in June for some 46045 action and then back home to North Yorkshire for some 45108 action on the Moors.

Englishman in America

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0864 seconds