Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Passenger Trains > CalTrain farewell to passenger equipment

Date: 03/24/24 10:49
CalTrain farewell to passenger equipment
Author: WP17

Yesterday's report about CalTrain's special movement of decommissioned gallery cars reminded me of a similar "changing of the guard" some 40 years ago when CalTrain retired its fleet of Harriman Subs. To commemorate the retirement, CalTrain hosted an afternoon of "Farewell to the Harrimans" excusions on June 15, 1985 -- two round trips between San Jose and San Francisco. Each leg was led by an example of the different locomotive models in use at the time. 

Here are photos of each of the 4 consists that operated that afternoon
1: at South San Francisco behind 4450 and 4451
2: at 4th Street behind a pair of Torpedo Geeps
4: at Hayward Park behind 3207

WP17

Date: 03/24/24 10:50
Re: CalTrain farewell to passenger equipment
Author: WP17

And the final leg led by 900, a new F40,  at Brisbane.

Date: 03/24/24 11:45
Author: mojaveflyer

Nice series! Too bad there wasn't a Trainmaster around for one of the runs....

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 03/24/24 17:00
Author: Westbound

Those Harriman subs were interesting to ride even though noisy with the normal clanging, banging and air sounds when the commutes got up to 65+ mph. The few times I rode those trains, I chose to ride in the gallery (bi-level) cars simply because if a sub was in the consist, it would be the smoking car. Perhaps that is now a thing of the past since smoking has, fortunately, become much more unpopular.

Date: 03/24/24 20:01
Author: atsf121

Super interesting, would have loved to have seen that as a 12 year old kid!  Unfortunately, no internet, and while my dad liked trains, we weren't up on the latest news at the time.

Nathan

Date: 03/24/24 23:31
Author: gonx

Was the center siding still in service at Hayward Park?

Date: 03/25/24 13:48
Author: rattenne

Nice set of pics. I decided to chase those specials rather than ride, although 'chase' may not be the right word :-) I set up in different places during the afternoon runs. My last photo of the day was at the same location as the last of your series. I shot both b&w and color but thought I'ds share the b&w instead. Oh, I should pass this on. I too referred to these ancient commute coaches as Harrimans but evrery time I did I was told on more than one occasion that they were not Harrimans but called suburban coaches. I now use the latter term.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0444 seconds