Home Open Account Help 337 users online

Passenger Trains > Empire Builder Consists

Date: 03/24/24 13:08
Empire Builder Consists
Author: TheButcherofBena

I noticed a post today on the western RR's discussion board by "rrartist" with a couple shots of the Empire Builder in La Crosse Wis. which appear to show a fairly healthy consist.  Has Amtrak finally added cars to this train?  Didn't see any mention in search option, thanks for any information you can provide.

Date: 03/24/24 19:10
Re: Empire Builder Consists
Author: westcoastrails

Yeah the plan was to add back the second Seattle sleeper, which they have based on those photos. Glad to see this! I think there are also plans to add back the second Seattle coach as well. And I've heard from crews who work the train that they're even going to add back the 5th car to the Portland section. Can't remember if that's a sleeper or a coach. I think a sleeper though. That will bring the train back to a really full, healthy consist. 12 cars! It would be the longest LD Superliner train.

Date: 03/24/24 21:06
Author: ProAmtrak

That's good to hear, sucks they're still keeping the Eagle, Cap, Chief, and Sunset Downgraded, maybe the City too!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/24 14:15 by ProAmtrak.

Date: 03/25/24 05:43
Author: jp1822

The 2nd Portland Sleeper was often in added in the really peak season of June/July to first week in September. But I just don't see Amtrak adding a 2nd Portland Sleeper this summer as it was VERY taxing on the Diner and Sightseer Lounge last time it was added back in 2018. The original plan called for the addition of a Cross Country Cafe to the Portland section, plus the second Sleeper, and shifting the Sightseer Lounge to the Seattle section. Ops in the Cross Country Cafe weren't really defined, but it was not to be a full diner substitute, but rather more of a catch-all food service option.

Empire Builder always was the strongest Western Long Distance train, even with lesser cars than the Coast Starlight back in the day when it carried the Pacific Parlor Car and three full sleepers etc. etc. Amtrak could never get the economics right for the Empire Builder train though. They did try at various points in time though (e.g. "Enhanced service," wine/cheese in the Diner, and upper level bar launched in mid 2000's). This helped to support higher fares or allow for upcharges, which translated into additional revenue. Lets not even talk about the extra coach that was added/subtracted between Twin Cities and Chicago that was in place for YEARS and is still needed until perhaps the new corridor round trip is added. When Amtrak management takes on a culture of cutting costs to get better financial results or to hit certain "metrics" - it may work favorably for the short term, but it's no formula for long term sustainability with public benefit. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0405 seconds