Home Open Account Help 304 users online

Passenger Trains > An Auto-Train observation and question

Date: 03/27/24 08:52
An Auto-Train observation and question
Author: Lackawanna484

One set of the Auto-Train has been trying to work off an 8 hours late arrival earlier this week. It seems to have locked into a 4 hours late leaving, then 4 hours late arriving.  What ever happened to the padding which was built into the schedule to allow recovery?  Boarding the train at 9 or 10 pm, and arriving at 3 pm is a problem for some travelers, I'm sure.

Today's 53 left Lorton 4 hours and 28 minutes late, and will arrive Sanford 5 hours late.  With P40/42 equipment and a P32.  In the times when I checked on transitdocs, speed was 26-40 mph.  The other trainset appears to be mostly on time or early, and maintaining 60-70 mph in some places.

I'm wondering if part of the problem is a legal rest issue in Florence

Date: 03/27/24 12:21
Re: An Auto-Train observation and question
Author: engineerinvirginia

Well if a crew is not rested in Florence and no one else is available to get on the train on time, that's an issue....and in freight...away terminals do not have an extra list so if crews aren't rested trains sit until one is. 

Date: 03/27/24 13:07

engineerinvirginia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well if a crew is not rested in Florence and no
> one else is available to get on the train on time,
> that's an issue....and in freight...away terminals
> do not have an extra list so if crews aren't
> rested trains sit until one is. 

Understood,

53 arrived in Sanford a few minutes ago (around 4 pm) and is currently carded for a 7 pm departure.  More likely 8-9 pm.  This southbound lost another hour between Florence and Sanford overnight

On a good note, they are accepting cars until 4.30 pm

Date: 03/27/24 17:00
Author: jp1822

It's slowly catching up - hopefully!!!

Date: 03/27/24 18:45

Tonight's 52 out of Sanford is now scheduled for a 9.30 pm departure. Hasn't entered the system as of 9.45.  Amtrak hopes to shave an hour off the 4.5 hour lateness and arrive in Lorton just 3.15 hours late.

Overall, prob better than cancelling a day and losing a lot of revenue

Date: 03/28/24 03:58
Author: engineerinvirginia

I reckon after a snafu, there could be a knock on effect that takes awhile to sleep off....so I wonder what was the initial problem that set everything back???

Date: 03/28/24 05:24
Author: Rivannaco

Date: 03/28/24 06:06

AutoTrain 52(28) is expected to arrive Lorton around 1.49 pm on Thursday, all things being equal. That will knock about 45 minutes off its accumulated lateness.

With a little bit of luck and Amtrak's skilled car loaders and cleaners, and a rested crew,  the train might be ready for an 8-8.30 pm departure

Date: 03/28/24 07:46
Author: steve4031

At least they are running it. It would be extremely inconvenient to cancel it to get it b as ck on schedule.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0372 seconds