Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak Misrouted @Philadelphia Follow Up "Cab Ride"

Date: 03/29/24 10:14
Amtrak Misrouted @Philadelphia Follow Up "Cab Ride"
Author: Tominde

This is a follow up to an earlier thread of Amtrak misrouted onto the Airport Line out of Philly.
Amtrak misrouted today out of Philadelphia (trainorders.com)

I made a video with a "cab ride" from a SEPTA Silverliner 5.  These Hyundai-Rotem MU cars have one of the best railfan seats on the NEC.  The ver front seat is usually blocked off from passenger seating.  The engineer rides in a small compartment and there is little room for storage of backpacks etc.  It's not terribley uncommon to have instructor engineers sitting there which is a treat to hear them explaining the road and signals.  

A DelDOT photo of a Silverliner 5 shows the left forward facing window with seating directly behind. 

The video opens shortly after departing Penn Medicine Station.  This is slightly south of 30th Street station on a line that loops around from the upper level of 30th Street station. This video train is traveling Southbound as was the misrouted Amtrak train.   Hopefully some smart Philly folks will chime in with the names of the interlockings. I believe we do not show the interlockings where Amtrak would have been crossed over to get in position for taking airport line.   Note the use of searchlight signals on the SEPTA tracks and CPL signals on NEC.   Who controls dispatching at that juncture of SEPTA and Amtrak?   

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/24 10:19 by Tominde.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/29/24 11:42
Re: Amtrak Misrouted @Philadelphia Follow Up "Cab Ride"
Author: twropr

Your train made its first diverging move (left turn) at CP-Arsenal (controlled by SEPTA) to move south over the SEPTA connecting track to the NEC. At Phil (controlled by Amtrak CETC-4) the SEPTA connector connects with NEC TK 4.  A short distance south of the diversion from SEPTA to TK 4 is the switch to there Airport Line.
BTW I have not been able to identify the Amtrak train that allegedly was misrouted to the Airport Line.  I imagine it's an error that
the CETC-4 can make if he/she confuses the Amtrak with a nearly simultaneously moving SEPTA Airport trsin.  There are a few locations, such as Harold interlocking in NY, where there are route indicators that warn an engineer if he is routed to the LIRR instead of Amtrak.
Andy

Date: 03/29/24 12:29
Author: AndyBrown

Excellent and interesting video.  Yes that is a great railfan seat, maybe even better than a dome car.  I was only disappointed that there wasn't some opposing traffic, but the Pennsy signals are great!

Andy

Date: 03/29/24 14:11
Author: boejoe

Great ride.  Any chance of continuing the ride to Newark DE (in segments)?
jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/24 18:02 by boejoe.

Date: 03/29/24 16:12
Author: CPMorris

Just as a supplemental comment, at :28, Media-Wawa Line ,
SEPTA crews either re-built or reconfigured the junction there
in a project called "The Southwest Connection" 2 years ago.
Unsure exactly what they changed and/or added, if anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/24 18:39 by CPMorris.

Date: 03/30/24 05:51
Author: atsf121

Great video, I would love to get back to Philly and ride SEPTA.  Saw it at the airport and by our hotel in Conshohocken on our trip there years ago, but didn't get a chance to ride.

Nathan

Date: 03/30/24 10:54
Author: timz

Nice to see that Phil still has its
monochrome-amber position-lights.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0701 seconds