Home Open Account Help 274 users online

Passenger Trains > "Unscheduled Stop" Lake Shore Lmtd, Rome NY

Date: 03/31/24 07:15
"Unscheduled Stop" Lake Shore Lmtd, Rome NY
Author: ut-1

Amtrak 48, the eastbound Lake Shore Limited, made a brief unscheduled stop in Rome NY yesterday. This narrated video includes that stop together with scenes of the earlier-arriving Maple Leaf as well as some interior looks of the New York Central-built station.

A longer version of this video appears on my YouTube channel, "Railroading Rambler."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/24 10:07 by ut-1.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/31/24 08:14
Re: "Unscheduled Stop" Lake Shore Lmtd, Rome NY
Author: JPB

Excellent video! Was the conductor bringing the engineer a cup of coffee? That happens every now and then on the Elkhart cam for the eb Capitol Ltd.

Date: 03/31/24 09:40
Author: OnTime

Looked like he was handing up a document of sort to the engineer.

Date: 03/31/24 09:49
Author: RevRandy

Rome is a great little station.  

When Joe Boardman was President of AMTRAK, the Lake Shore Limited would sometimes make an unscheduledstop there for Joe, who grew up in Rome and had a house just north of there.  

And a trivia note - when the line was moved from downtown Rome, the new alignment (through the station shown) continued the mile post from NY going westbound.  At the point west of Rome where the new lines merged back into the old line, they picked up the mileposts that had been in place.  So, there is a "mile" west of Rome that is only .8 of a mile 

Date: 03/31/24 10:04
Author: jp1822

Nice catch! Just to note, there's a Horizon coach on the Boston end of the train. Odd, as Horizons typically don't come east on eastern overnight LD trains. Not sure if this is a last minute sub or what.

And there's a Viewliner I sleeper deadheading on the rear of the NY section....... 

Date: 04/01/24 10:18
Author: sethamtrak

jp1822 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice catch! Just to note, there's a Horizon coach
> on the Boston end of the train. Odd, as Horizons
> typically don't come east on eastern overnight LD
> trains. Not sure if this is a last minute sub or
> what.
>
> And there's a Viewliner I sleeper deadheading on
> the rear of the NY section....... 

It has been off and on the last few months with Horizons being used on the Lakeshore. Shortage of Amfleet LD coaches was the reason I heard. Must suck to be one of those unlucky guests stuck in one overnight.... 

Date: 04/01/24 15:24
Author: jp1822

sethamtrak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> jp1822 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Nice catch! Just to note, there's a Horizon
> coach
> > on the Boston end of the train. Odd, as
> Horizons
> > typically don't come east on eastern overnight
> LD
> > trains. Not sure if this is a last minute sub
> or
> > what.
> >
> > And there's a Viewliner I sleeper deadheading
> on
> > the rear of the NY section....... 
>
> It has been off and on the last few months with
> Horizons being used on the Lakeshore. Shortage of
> Amfleet LD coaches was the reason I heard. Must
> suck to be one of those unlucky guests stuck in
> one overnight.... 

Oh that's ridiculous - shortage of Amfleet II's - LD coaches. Amtrak could use an Amfleet I business class car or swap out an Amfleet II that's roaming around on some of the day-time long distance trains as I call them. Thisis just absolute nonsense. I can see a one-off, but for Amtrak to give a "reason" of a shortage, that's CRAZY! Amfleet II's are roaming around on the Adirondack, Maple Leaf, Pennsylvanian, etc. that used to be ALL high density Amfleet coaches at one time, OR, had a mix of high and low density Amfleets coaches (I or II's). Amtrak needs to do an inventory of its assets and do some re-assignments. 

And by the way - didn't I hear something about the California Superliner lease expiring in FY2022? That was a lease of 35 Superliners (majority of coaches) that CA did wreck-repairs on for the most part, nearly 20 years ago. I am sure those 35 Superliners have had inspections lapse, but they should be in pretty good shape overall. Are they sitting in Beech Grove too? Maybe I didn't hear that right, but if it IS true, that's 35 coaches that would be a HUGE net gain to Amtrak's Superliner inventory, overall........That's for a separate thread I supposed. Apologies, but Amtrak's equipment assignments are just NOT making sense. Still NO third sleeper line on the Silver Service (or at least the Silver Meteor). That puts onboard staff in two revenue sleepers, which are already two too few! And I think someone better count up how many Viewliner II sleepers are actually in assignment.......I'm coming up short of an assignment of 25 Viewliner II's from pictures that have been taken......  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.099 seconds