Home Open Account Help 286 users online

Passenger Trains > Service Disruption Amtrak train 6 - 7 April

Date: 04/07/24 04:07
Service Disruption Amtrak train 6 - 7 April
Author: cozephyr

Amtrak train 6 the California Zephyr, showed at Service Ddisruption west of Denver, at Fraser, Colorado, as of 5 AM, Sunday, 7 April 2024.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/24 05:24 by cozephyr.

Date: 04/07/24 05:23
Re: Service Disruption Amtrak train 6 - 7 April
Author: MOP1161

any idea what the issue is ?

Date: 04/07/24 05:44
Author: DutchDragon

Lack of interest.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/07/24 05:49
Author: jmhemmer

If you ask the Amtrak agent in Lincoln (I just did), he will tell you it's due to "weather problems."  He believes that No. 6 will run, possibly leaving Lincoln tonight after 6 p.m.   Any votes for that theory?  

Meanwhile, passengers are sleeping on benches.  I'd rather take the BNSF inspection train that's sitting outside.  

Date: 04/07/24 05:55
Author: RutledgeRadio

Asked the question on Facebook last night, was told the issue is high wind warnings, through 12 PM today. Gusts of up to 100 MPH. Sounds like a smart move to keep the trains stopped!

Date: 04/07/24 06:01
Author: jmhemmer

That's a lot of wind!

Date: 04/07/24 07:05
Author: atsf121

We had high winds Thursday in Northern Utah, guess that system has made it's way to Colorado now.  Winds were bad enough here to topple a semi on I-80.

Nathan 

Date: 04/07/24 07:42
Author: dan

afraid of big 10, #5 is allowed 20 mph inching towards denver, wind is slacking now.  Here the train going thru Akron.  Empty cattle trucks scooting by normally

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/24 09:17 by dan.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 04/07/24 07:54
Author: wpjones

#5 went thru Akron Co at 9:50 CDT and showed 20 mph on track a train.
Steve

Date: 04/07/24 13:04
Author: INTLRAILTRAVELLER

Wonder where the DEN crewbase is getting all the relief crews from? Thinking they might need to combine the #6s at DEN just to have a crew.
They will have had to recrew 6(5) twice west of DEN possibly using the original crew to replace the dog catch crew after they get rest. And they will need a crew for 6(5) east of DEN
They need another to go get 5(6) east of Denver somewhere. As well as a crew for 5(6) west of DEN. And a crew for 6(6) both east and west of DEN
I know they can split crews, send one each of the original crew's 2 engineers/conductors to go get their own inbound train leaving the other 2 behind to be rested to go on to GJT and LNK as the case may be
They also need to somehow get a qualified crew to LNK to have a rested crew to work 5(7). I'm kind of expecting that train to cancel, just due to crew issues as well as being short a trainset for 5(8) unless they can scrape something together in Chicago.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/07/24 13:19
Author: cozephyr

Both Amtrak's are showing the service disruption lifted.  Coal Creek Canyon near Big Ten recorded 96 mile an hour wind gust last night-!

Amtrak train 6 is rolling now Rollinsville 2:10 PM, 7 April 2024 - 🤗

Suspect 5 and 6 will meet at Plainview-!?!

Amtrak train 6 has 174 Phase VII and 161 Phase 1 locomotives-!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/24 13:20 by cozephyr.

Date: 04/07/24 13:52
Author: joemvcnj

Wish they would segment that train at Denver. There's always something, usually west of Denver, and if not there, west of Salt Lake, and there is a large turnover in riders there anyway. This is killing the Chicago - Denver market, which is the stonger half. 

Right now, the first #6 is at Denver. The next day's train is about on time at Fraser. 

Train 5 will have trouble getting out of Chicago on Monday. My guess is that they will cancel it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/24 15:16 by joemvcnj.

Date: 04/07/24 15:22
Author: wa4umr

I just checked with a website I use occasionally and it is showing wind gusting up to 62 MPH east of Denver.    Those winds would have been in Denver a few hours ago and probably in the Rockies 12 to 24 hours ago.  A Gust of 60 MPH or more is substantial when you are dealing with high-profile vehicles like Superliners.

John

Date: 04/07/24 18:15
Author: WAF

5 just went west

Date: 04/07/24 20:09
Author: symph1

I was skiing, well, trying to ski, Saturday in Winter Park. All the upper mountain lifts were closed due to wind. It got worse, then a lot worse around 11. For the first time in my life, I rode the gondola down. Today was better, though the top 3 lifts never opened. Driving home around 4:30, I saw an Amtrak train in Fraser, and was surprised that it was 5, not 6.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/08/24 04:21
Author: joemvcnj

Like I predicted Sunday:

"ALERT: As of 4:32 am CT, Due to unforeseen equipment issues, California Zephyr Train 5 which is scheduled to depart Chicago (CHI) on 4/8 is now canceled."

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0602 seconds