Home Open Account Help 256 users online

Passenger Trains > Indianapolis Amtrak question

Date: 04/13/24 09:45
Indianapolis Amtrak question
Author: Chessie1963

I am planning a trip to see family next month, and it allows me to take the Cardinal home from central Indiana.  The bird is scheduled to arrive at Union Station at 1149 pm and depart at 1215 am.  I am planning to arrive by cab at 11 pm or so, as the Cardinal does sometimes arrive as early at 1130 pm.

What might I expect at the station?  I do not anticipate any amenties at that hour, anywhere, and I know that the station shares space with bus companies, but again at midnight, I doubt that there will be many bus passengers in the place.

Any info is appreciated!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/24 09:46 by Chessie1963.

Date: 04/13/24 11:17
Re: Indianapolis Amtrak question
Author: DavidP

I believe the Crowne Plaza Hotel in the station is still operating.  Stayed there when it first opened thirty years or more ago - cool place.

Dave

Date: 04/13/24 12:13
Author: TomPittsfieldMA

I went downstairs last year while the Cardinal was stopped in the station at night.  Some people, probably between buses, dozing. Seemed bleak but safe enough.

Date: 04/13/24 12:18
Author: cutboy1958

Dreary  but  safe.

Date: 04/13/24 14:46
Author: MaryMcPherson

There is a 24/7 White Castle across the street from the station.  If you are not used to W.C., take care when stocking up on their sliders or you may be making a fast trip to what the British call the W.C.

Yes, I speak from experience and the guilty grub came from that particular establishment.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Date: 04/13/24 19:28
Author: dan

i would watch asm not get there super early unless you want to hang out

Date: 04/13/24 20:32
Author: wa4umr

Just don't touch anything outside of the Greyhound part of the station.  I haven't been there for a few years but every time I was there, everything was covered with Diesel
exhaust dirt.  They need to put a fire truck pumper on a flat car and run it through that tunnel and wash the place down.

John

Date: 04/14/24 11:07

Thanks, all!  That is helpful.

White Castle actually might be on the agenda!

Date: 04/14/24 12:05
Author: alan2955

Don’t get there any sooner than 1130. They won’t let you on the train right away anyhow. And the station itself is pretty dismal. An embarrassment to Amtrak and the city of Indianapolis.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/14/24 13:01

Sounds good.  I am dropping my rental car at the airport and will do that around 1030-1045.  By the time I get downtown, should be at least 11, maybe later.

Thanks.

alan2955 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don’t get there any sooner than 1130. They
> won’t let you on the train right away anyhow.
> And the station itself is pretty dismal. An
> embarrassment to Amtrak and the city of
> Indianapolis.
>
> Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/14/24 14:17
Author: P

Pretty dead on statements from the other posters here. It's an interesting, but underground waiting area, but it does seem dark and bleak, but I have never worried about safety there. Of course, most places at midnight are dark and somewhat bleak. Enjoy your trip on the bird

Posted from Android

Date: 04/14/24 15:57

I did pull some recent pics from the internet.  It appears that there are a fair number of homeless folks sleeping inside.  

It is a shame to see that....for several reasons.

Date: 04/14/24 16:36
Author: wirelessenabled

I stay at the Crowne Plaza Hotel frequently.  It is attached to the Amtrak station although not through inside doors.

Across the small plaza from the station is the Omni Hotel.  I don't know if there is any food etc there. Down the street, a block or so 3-5 minutes is an Irish pub,  great food and drink.  If you head towards downtown there are numerous restaurants, I would say within a 10-15 minute walk from the station.

Date: 04/14/24 20:56

wirelessenabled Wrote:
> I stay at the Crowne Plaza Hotel frequently.  It
> is attached to the Amtrak station although not
> through inside doors.
>
> Across the small plaza from the station is the
> Omni Hotel.  I don't know if there is any food
> etc there. Down the street, a block or so 3-5
> minutes is an Irish pub,  great food and drink. 
> If you head towards downtown there are numerous
> restaurants, I would say within a 10-15 minute
> walk from the station.

All true. But at 11:30 at night little if any of that is going to be open. I would not be walking around the area at that hour alone. And I live in Indianapolis, and I’m not some paranoid person that’s terrified to go downtown. 😂

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/14/24 20:59

alan2955 Wrote:
> wirelessenabled Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I stay at the Crowne Plaza Hotel frequently. 
> It
> > is attached to the Amtrak station although not
> > through inside doors.
> >
> > Across the small plaza from the station is the
> > Omni Hotel.  I don't know if there is any food
> > etc there. Down the street, a block or so 3-5
> > minutes is an Irish pub,  great food and
> drink. 
> > If you head towards downtown there are numerous
> > restaurants, I would say within a 10-15 minute
> > walk from the station.
>
> All true. But at 11:30 at night little if any of
> that is going to be open. I would not be walking
> around the area at that hour alone. And I live in
> Indianapolis, and I’m not some paranoid person
> that’s terrified to go downtown. In fact I go down there pretty often. But I have to say, the area right around the station is just pretty embarrassing, and definitely a hang out for homeless people. When I take the train, I try to get there as close to departure as possible. Amtrak has grand plans to offer service from Indianapolis to several places, including faster more frequent service to Chicago. But they’re never going to build any decent ridership at Indianapolis until they do something about the horrible station facility and the lack of convenient parking. I’m sure the dismal station situation here contributed to the failure of the Hoosier State. Witness that much smaller Lafayette Indiana had similar ridership as Indianapolis, partly because they had an attractive convenient station with convenient parking. And better arrival and departure hours
>
> Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/24 21:01 by alan2955.

Date: 04/15/24 06:29

Ah, the bar at the Crowne Plaza is open until midnight!  If I get to the area around 1030, as planned, I will hit the bar for a drink and go over to the station around 1130.

Not a bad way to easy into the ride.

Regarding the homeless situation.  It is exacerbated by a homeless help organization that is located nearby.  I am sure that is why the folks congregate in the area.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/24 06:32 by Chessie1963.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1029 seconds