Home Open Account Help 219 users online

Passenger Trains > PV BNSF Car on the Rear of #5

Date: 04/13/24 21:55
PV BNSF Car on the Rear of #5
Author: OmahaTom

Westbound #5 just now at Omaha. Sat. April 13, 2024. Not sure what the purpose of this minimal-windowed car with strange paneling on the roof is, but there was somebody walking around in there, so it's got passengers. Assuming it will be cut off at Denver, being a BNSF car and all.

Tom Loftus
Omaha, NE

Date: 04/14/24 00:19
Re: PV BNSF Car on the Rear of #5
Author: dan

track evaluation car, not sure if even needs to be manned, figure it will come off in Denver?  Edit: it did come off  Like you thought, been awhile since we have seen any BNSF office cars on amtrak, used to be common.  very few host rr  run on amtrak anymore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/24 10:49 by dan.

Date: 04/14/24 04:04

Im pretty sure I saw someone walking around in there while the Zephyr was refueling. I eckon I could've just been seeing things, as I was about 40 yards away from the car when I did. So Im not real certain on that one...

Btw, the car's name plate said "BNSF 91".

Tom Loftus
Omaha, NE

Date: 04/14/24 06:00
Author: sethamtrak

That is one of BNSF's track geometry cars. 

Date: 04/14/24 07:38
Author: mp51w

Former CB&Q Silver Chair.  Topeka passenger car shops do amazing work!
They have rehabbed an ex-Ringling Brothers Barnum & Bailey car for similar duty.

Date: 04/14/24 09:20

Thanks for the info!!

Tom Loftus
Omaha, NE

Date: 04/14/24 10:41

hope the skirts were saved for others, topeka does nice work

Date: 04/22/24 21:01
Author: wirelessenabled

That looks like the car I saw last night in Otis Orchards, WA about 8pm or so.  It was waiting westbound at the signal at the end of the double track, Barker Rd.  The "train" consisted of one locomotive and that car waiting at a red light.  Was getting dark and I was riding with my spouse and so no pictures.

Date: 04/22/24 21:13

they have a couple, the one you saw should have been witha hopper

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0438 seconds