Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Passenger Trains > 58 (14)

Date: 04/15/24 10:16
58 (14)
Author: filmteknik

Down 7 hours. Now, with tweets rare, especially not for 58/59, we only have the last update on the webpage which only says on the move, not what happened.

Date: 04/15/24 10:22
Re: 58 (14)
Author: Chessie1963

Someone earned a bonus by cutting back on social media spending?

filmteknik Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Down 7 hours. Now, with tweets rare, especially
> not for 58/59, we only have the last update on the
> webpage which only says on the move, not what
> happened.

Date: 04/15/24 11:04

No, a change on Twitter prevents them from doing as they used to although as they do tweet to some extent so obviously they can if they want to.

As for the train, I will share that there were issues with the leader and a freight unit was added.

Date: 04/15/24 11:17
Author: MaryMcPherson

The lead Charger had an electrical failure, leaving it unable to operate or control the second unit.  There was no way to swap the engines and setting the leader out was not an option available, so the SD70 was added.

1. Approaching Dongola, Illinois.

2-3. Makanda, Illinois.

My quick run to the grocery store ended up covering more miles than expected.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/24 11:24 by MaryMcPherson.

Date: 04/15/24 11:23

4-5.  North of Carbondale at the Big Muddy River.  Most people don't know about this last spot.  Heck, I've been shooting around the region for forty years and I only noticed it was doable a week ago.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL

Date: 04/15/24 11:31
Author: joemvcnj

Since it is national network Charger, I hope it costs Siemens a pretty penny, and so much for the benefits of a 2nd uniit. Like a cheap set of old Xmas lights, when one bulb goes out, they all go out. .

As for Twitter, Amtrak can get off their fat asses and manage their own delay reporting system like most commuter rail systems. We should not have a social media account, especially that one, to find out anything, which they are also too lazy to keep up to date. The Northeast one is more prompt. 

Date: 04/15/24 12:38
Author: kevink

MaryMcPherson Wrote:
> The lead Charger had an electrical failure,
> leaving it unable to operate or control the second
> unit.  There was no way to swap the engines and
> setting the leader out was not an option
> available, so the SD70 was added.

That’s a nice leader! Great pics from Southern Illinois!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/15/24 13:32

Lotsa Death Stars out today. Two on a SB in the Chicago south suburbs and a repainted ex Death Star (shall we call them X Stars?) leading a DS on a SB through Hyde Park a few minutes ago.

Date: 04/15/24 13:34
Author: robj

MaryMcPherson Wrote:
> 4-5.  North of Carbondale at the Big Muddy
> River.  Most people don't know about this last
> spot.  Heck, I've been shooting around the region
> for forty years and I only noticed it was doable a
> week ago.

Great you could get out and great day for it.

Bob

Posted from Android

Date: 04/15/24 13:43

filmteknik Wrote:
> Lotsa Death Stars out today. Two on a SB in the
> Chicago south suburbs and a repainted ex Death
> Star (shall we call them X Stars?) leading a DS on
> a SB through Hyde Park a few minutes ago.

Probably A408, though I hear A406 has been getting them too.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL

Date: 04/15/24 14:29

My contribution to the festivities.  Look look!  DPM's Death Star!

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 04/15/24 16:30
Author: jp1822

Seems like a bunch of ALC42s are not working or having to be replaced mid-route after having a break down. Still no Superliner Diner on the City of New Orleans I see. First two Superliners appear to be axle count cars - a Superliner Snack-Coach (35002), and then a Coach/Baggage. Two coaches in operation, then Superliner Sightseer Lounge, Superliner Sleeper, and Superliner Trans-Dorm Sleeper. Didn't the Superliner Snack-Coach just get released from Beech Grove (35002) and seems to be roaming around more as an axle count car than "in-service" or functioning as at least a coach car. Yes, CN shunt issue hence the need for axle count cars to run at the higher speeds. 

Date: 04/16/24 00:35
Author: mp51w

Neat Melan arch concrete bridge Mary!

Date: 04/16/24 12:57

DPM's Death Star (rescue engine) and the broken Charger Tuesday afternoon south of CUS.

Date: 04/17/24 05:16
Author: P

Wow, so much going on here. 1st, those are great photos Mary. 2nd, it's great that CN has kept some reliable locomotives on hand to assist Amtrak in getting their passengers to their destination. 3rd. That's a healthy consist. Only upon further reading how Amtrak has bastardized this train by removing the diner and running additional capacity, but not selling it did I conclude that the consist is not as healthy as it looks. Smh

Posted from Android

Date: 04/17/24 06:13

They only run a single car for axle count, contrary to the assumption made prior. Most days the third coach is needed for multiple legs of the journey.

Posted from Android

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL

Date: 04/17/24 10:14
Author: Christo

Nice shot of the train from the 59th St Metra (IC) Station.  It is due for a major rehabilitation including opening the 60 th St exit in the next 18 months. It is the closest station to the Obama Presidential Center which is slated to open in 2026.

Date: 04/17/24 10:19
Author: jp1822

MaryMcPherson Wrote:
> They only run a single car for axle count,
> contrary to the assumption made prior. Most days
> the third coach is needed for multiple legs of the
> journey.
>
> Posted from Android

A THIRD Superliner Coach is a rarity on a long distance train these days - except Auto Train and the Empire Builder. Its inclusion and correlation to the axle count could still be valid. All of the LD Superliner overnight trains need at LEAST a third coach, and most of the time a fourth or fifth coach even. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0876 seconds