Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Passenger Trains > 350(23)-353(23) Kalamazoo Turn

Date: 04/24/24 11:19
350(23)-353(23) Kalamazoo Turn
Author: ThunderMountain

Really good, solid runs yesterday.  Just a few observations.

Crews...both on board and operating...were on the ball and friendly.  Maybe it is SOP these days but management was visible at both my 6:45a  departure time and at my pm return time.  One manager traveled on 350 stepped off at KZoo, then re-boarded 351 towards Chicago.

Car Washer...just as I was reading about the large investment Uncle Sam is making in Brightline West, we passed the out of service car washer.  There was a work party inside.  I guess of no practical importance is the building exterior but if it is any indication of the mechanics within...oh, boy...good luck.  At minimum the exterior needs tuckpointing, paint, signage.  Frustrating.
Is Amtrak doing its part to advocate for itself?

Stations...One pretty common problem that can be easily fixed is the public information signs.
Matters may have improved but as of November 2023 the timetable listed as a public reference on the New Buffalo station platform was dated summer 2018.  It was not accurate as to current operation.  The information signs at Kzoo are handwritten.  Yes, there is a ticket machine present, but can we not afford to create professional signs containing accurate train arrival and departure times?  Michigan pumps big bucks into their lines every year.  I would think they could get Amtrak to pay attention.  

Marketing...Maybe it is because I live in the Chicago area that little in the way of marketing dollars is spent here, but during the pandemic times and to this day, Amtrak does little to make themselves known.  As the railroad approaches its birthday on May 1, I wish it would reconsider, but then that would require a commitment to increasing and maintaining capacity.

Route/Stations...With the soon to be completed NICTD (South Shore) Double Track Project and not too distant closure of the NIPSCO plant at Michigan City (Power), a close evaluation should be made of how effective this route would be as an alternative from a running time, consistency of operation, cost and marketing perspective. There are a number of factors to consider.  Chief among them being integration of Amtrak service in to the District's operating plan, Anacostia & Pacific's South Shore Freight Service and movement of service along the CN to and across Kensington.  One real blessing for Amtrak would be to gain stations and access to markets that could really contribute to passenger growth.   The District's Hammond (with connections to the soon to be completed District's Dyer branch), Miller and Dune Park (Chesterton and not far Valparaiso) stations are 3 winners when you compare it to Amtrak's current Hammond station (far north side of town by Lake Michigan).  

Much of the justification for the District's Double Track and West Lake Corridor Project is based on the population and commercial growth of Lake and Porter Counties, as Cook County declines.

Date: 04/24/24 16:10
Re: 350(23)-353(23) Kalamazoo Turn
Author: PC1974

Good thing you didn't ride today, AmTweet reported the delays as "rail congestion"... That was east of BTL.. Train missed OTP at intermediate and final terminal... PS no need to bold text...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0401 seconds