Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak Food

Date: 04/25/24 08:01
Amtrak Food
Author: RDC1

Awhile ago I was talking to someone who’s grandfather worked for a midwestern railroad in the 1950’s. His job was to go to livestock auctions and produce markets throughout themidwest buying the best meats and vegetables he could find for the dining cars. Where does Amtrak source its food? Do they have a concessioner?If not, have they considered getting one?

Date: 04/25/24 09:08
Re: Amtrak Food
Author: aehouse

Acme Lugnut and Microwave Snacks, LLC.

Date: 04/25/24 09:30
Author: PHall

RDC1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Awhile ago I was talking to someone who’s
> grandfather worked for a midwestern railroad in
> the 1950’s. His job was to go to livestock
> auctions and produce markets throughout
> themidwest buying the best meats and vegetables
> he could find for the dining cars. Where does
> Amtrak source its food? Do they have a
> concessioner?If not, have they considered getting
> one?

What makes you think they don't have one already?

Date: 04/25/24 09:38
Author: jp1822

The Amtrak food source, and the names, have been provided on here before. I remember most of the flex dining options had a label on them that said they came from a Long Island City, NY based company, which absolutely blows my mind because from there it is sold to a commissary that then sells/supplies to Amtrak. So middle person in between. Quick story - I had a food service manufacturing client in Long Island, NY (out in Hicksville area). The commissary distribution costs were astronomically insane - think about how you move perishable food from an "island" no less to/from NYC and out to NJ etc. Horrible location or transporting, let alone costs, etc. I moved their entire facility out to the Midwest and they saved a ton, got tax credits, and lived happily ever after. Listen, I hope Amtrak has a good deal with its food sourcing, but not going there.  

Date: 04/25/24 10:23
Author: RDC1

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> RDC1 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Awhile ago I was talking to someone who’s
> > grandfather worked for a midwestern railroad
> in
> > the 1950’s. His job was to go to livestock
> > auctions and produce markets throughout
> > themidwest buying the best meats and
> vegetables
> > he could find for the dining cars. Where does
> > Amtrak source its food? Do they have a
> > concessioner?If not, have they considered
> getting
> > one?
>
> What makes you think they don't have one already?

I wasn't sure if they had an equivalent of a in house commissary department 
or if their food was handled by an outside source. 

I don't know much about the food service industry, but a local college near me outsourced
their cafeteria operations to a major restaurant operator with very good results.
Perhaps Amtrak could do the same?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/24 10:24 by RDC1.

Date: 04/25/24 12:29
Author: lordsigma

Amtrak contracts with Aramark to operate their commissaries (which order, inventory, store, refrigerate food, deliver food to the trains etc.) Food and products can be sourced from a number of different places - such as the earlier mentioned supplier that produces the flexible dining meals. I believe Amtrak themselves decide what they want and designs the meals - Aramark manages the logistics of running the commissaries so Amtrak doesn’t have to staff them.

Date: 04/25/24 12:57
Author: Lackawanna484

Food service operations are very detail oriented. Even the smallest violation can get you shut down.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0407 seconds