Home Open Account Help 322 users online

Passenger Trains > Caltrain AEM-7's

Date: 04/25/24 17:04
Caltrain AEM-7's
Author: amtrakin

Does anyone know if Caltrain intends on using the 2 ex Amtrak AEM-7's (929 & 938)? They've been sitting in the storage tracks in San Francisco for months, without movement. And, unite 938 was even painted in Caltrain livery, looking fresh and new.   If I remember, Caltrain said they were purchased from Amtrak for testing of the catenary and EMU's. They're now saying the EMU testing has been very sucessful, thus far.  So, is there even a need for them?  

Date: 04/25/24 17:43
Re: Caltrain AEM-7's
Author: westcoastrails

Likely will never be used I'd guess. MAYBE for some kind of work train situation but even then, I wonder if the MP15 diesels will be kept around for this purpose. It's also my understanding that during one of the first test runs with the AEM-7s, one of them basically blew itself up (not literally but you know..) and hasn't ran since. So one of them only ran once. Not sure the state of the other one.

Date: 04/25/24 17:47
Author: BrynMawr

Just an opinion here.  The AEM7s were very good engines out east.  IMHO using them to haul non EMU cars between SF and SJ to swap for diesels would cover the Gilroy runs until the battery units arrive. 

Date: 04/25/24 17:56
Author: joemvcnj

I read somewhere the Gilroy trains will simply be 4 round trip diesel shuttles a day.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/25/24 20:42
Author: pdt

joemvcnj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I read somewhere the Gilroy trains will simply be
> 4 round trip diesel shuttles a day.
>
> Posted from Android

Thats what the proposed timetable i saw had.    Im  guessing that its a cut back in response to financila problems due to  not so great recovery after Covid.   

Anyone know how much money rhis electrification cost compared to refurb of the equipment they had?   How much savings per year by using electric equipment?

Date: 04/27/24 23:12
Author: atsf121

pdt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> joemvcnj Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I read somewhere the Gilroy trains will simply
> be
> > 4 round trip diesel shuttles a day.
> >
> > Posted from Android
>
> Thats what the proposed timetable i saw had.   
> Im  guessing that its a cut back in response to
> financila problems due to  not so great recovery
> after Covid.   
>
> Anyone know how much money rhis electrification
> cost compared to refurb of the equipment they
> had?   How much savings per year by using
> electric equipment?

Don't know the costs numbers for either electric or rehab, that's a good question.  The other factor is the schedule itself.  The EMUs will be able to run a tighter/faster schedule than the diesel pulled trains.  Not sure how you'd quanitify that in dollars & cents, but I'm sure somebody could.

Nathan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0591 seconds