Home Open Account Help 230 users online

Passenger Trains > Keenesburg CO Equipment Status

Date: 04/28/24 17:45
Keenesburg CO Equipment Status
Author: MNR225

I happened to fly over Keenesburg, CO on Thursday, April 24, in a private airplane.  Basically, no change from reports last week.  The California Zephyr accident train of 01-29-24 remains in storage at the oil loading facility NE of town.  I have attached a few photos.

From what I could observe, six Superliners are parked in the NW leg of the wye, a locomotive, baggage car, and a Superliner between the two wye legs, and a damaged locomotive parked by itself to the west closer to the BNSF tracks.

ADB

Date: 04/28/24 19:42
Re: Keenesburg CO Equipment Status
Author: grizzledgary

I can't be the only one that thinks that second image looks very much like a 1:1 scale version of a kids first "N" gauge layout built on a couple sheets of plywood decorated with little more than colored sawdust.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/24 19:52 by grizzledgary.

Date: 04/28/24 20:03
Author: amtrakbill

Nice detective work sir!

I guess there is no room in Beech Grove

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/29/24 05:47
Author: jp1822

FIRST, I pray and hope that the crew and all those that were involved in this Amtrak accident are recovering and can some how find the strength to move forward. I've not heard any updates on the engineer involved in this accident, but my understanding is, that was the most critical injury. No Amtrak accident should be underestimated and all precautions should be studied and taken so accidents don't repeat. Accidents and incidents like this are "life changing" events for ALL involved. 

I stated this before, and I am trying to say this in all due compassion.....the equipment that still sits here as pictured just doesn't make sense......Hopefully there can be answers found here too, or the equipment taken to Denver, Chicago, or Beech Grove etc. The Joplin, MT Empire Builder and Southwest Chief train accidents that occurred a few/couple years back had a number of lawsuits, and sadly, fatalities. Heart-breaking events, no question about it. I passed through the Joplin, MT wreck scene a week after the accident occurred and it was a chilling segment. Yet the equipment was moved (or discarded) within a couple of months. I understand the need for insurance and legal proceedings, as well as NTSB investigations. This delays repairs/restoration of services etc. But with all that said, this accident doesn't add up to equipment staying here for this amount of time. It's surely not staying here for free, meaning someone has to be charging Amtrak a storage fee for the equipment. Is Amtrak getting properly reimbursed from insurance companies for lost revenue? 

Sad set if events. 

Date: 04/29/24 08:45
Author: PHall

If the investigating agencies haven't released it there isn't much Amtrak can do about it.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.055 seconds