Home Open Account Help 161 users online

Passenger Trains > On board 449

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 05/07/24 13:11
On board 449
Author: Chessie1963

I am on 449 at the moment, headed to beautiful Toledo from Springfield, MA.  Both Vermonters came through while I was on the platform at SPG, and one was pretty dirty, the other one wasn't bad.  However, 449 is quite dirty.  The interior is very clean, however, and that is what matters most.  We are about 10 minutes late.  The attendant is pretty good, but I think he is new.  He asked if I wanted my bed down for tonight or if I would sit up!  Um, down please.

More as it develops.  Beautiful day here in western MA.

Oh, the two locomotives are both 50th anniversary locos, and they are clean!  

Date: 05/07/24 13:44
Re: On board 449

We just passed 448, it was filthy, worse than our train.

Come on, Amtrak, this really is NOT complicated.  I am on the Cardinal on Sunday.  Should be interesting to see how dirty that one will be.  I guess cars have to go to Beech Grove to be cleaned now (tongue in cheek).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/24 13:55 by Chessie1963.

Date: 05/07/24 14:13
Author: NPRocky

Amtrak seems to have car washers down everywhere right now.  Our Cascades out here in the Seattle area aren't very clean either; they're apparently putting a new washer at Seattle.  The rather boring scheme on Amtrak Horizon cars just doesn't look that good in dirt.  I wish Washington state would have them painted in Cascades colors.  Roughly 28 coaches and six food service cars would be pretty expensive, though.

Date: 05/07/24 14:28
Author: BrynMawr

State of Washington should put cleaning standards in the contract the next time there is any chance to do so.  

Date: 05/07/24 14:32
Author: BrynMawr

The state should insist the Builder go through the wash rack also. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/24 14:33 by BrynMawr.

Date: 05/07/24 14:42
Author: jp1822

I don't understand the "no washers in operation" situation. I could have sworn I read that some time in the 2010s that a new washer was installed in Seattle and Hialeah. Chicago had there's out of service for a while a FEW YEARS AGO, but that should have all been rectified - except if it broke and they were awaiting parts or something else that got obnoxious. Sunnyside I believe had their washer knocked out of service when the East Side Access construction was going on, but that should all be cleared. Totally confused. 

Date: 05/07/24 14:48

Here is a fine example of the "view" of the Berkshires, courtesy of Amtrak.

They need to figure this out.  It is something that good companies pay attention to.  FedEx, UPS, etc. always have clean equipment.  It is a part of the company image.

So in case you thought I was exaggerating...

Date: 05/07/24 15:08
Author: cutboy1958

MAYBE  th  Chicago  car  wash  fixed?!

Date: 05/07/24 15:32

The New York section just arrived and it is equally filthy.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/07/24 15:51
Author: Lackawanna484

Chessie1963 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The New York section just arrived and it is
> equally filthy.
>
> Posted from iPhone

Consistent, for sure.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/07/24 15:59

I asked the attendant on the platform at Rensselaer if Amtrak had given up on wasthing its trains.  He responded that the car wash in Chicago is supposed to be used, but "no one wants to take responsiblity for doing it."  Seriously??  The cafe attendant was on the platform washing windows on the outside of the cafe, so I borrowed his spray and some towels and hit my own window as well.

If any Amtrak employees are reading this, I am sorry, but the situation is pathetic.  

Date: 05/07/24 16:52
Author: westcoastrails

Chessie1963 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> If any Amtrak employees are reading this, I am
> sorry, but the situation is pathetic.  

I think it's known information that people in some form of authorty from Amtrak do read and monitor these forums so they often see what us, as the general public who rides these trains, and even some employees, have to say. Whether what is said actually makes a difference is another story.

Date: 05/07/24 18:08
Author: amtrakbill

Did you find out why there would be no baggage service on 449 on this day?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/07/24 20:23
Author: mvrr10

No baggage car on 448/449 since Jan.2019 I recall.

Date: 05/08/24 04:33
Author: jp1822

I'm on the Lake Shore Limited in the coming days.......UGH! I'm sure I'll be doing the same at the stop in Albany - washing my window. Water and paper towel? What's best for washing. This is just utterly pathetic.

The Viewliner II Diner is actually a REALLY nice car, but not when the windows are filthy. Same for the Superliner Sightseer Lounge. Amtrak is just killing the onboard experience with a simple fix. If passengers and attendants can wash windows while the train is stopped in Albany - that speaks volumes. And that's nothing new either. How hard can this be? The train sits in Chicago Yard for nearly 12 hours. It's not just the Lake Shore Limited, clearly - or dirtier. 

Amtrak, you MUST fix this. Period. This has been an ongoing problem for YEARS. There's no excuse any more. You don't see this regularly even on regional commuter rail trains or most other service providers in the transportation field. 

Date: 05/08/24 06:07
Author: Lackawanna484

"Nobody wanted to take responsibility"

"Somebody" is paid to take responsibility. Find them and fire them!

Years ago, Amtrak had a train manager on many trains. Supposed to be making sure the ride was enjoyable, that the cafe was open and stocked when it was supposed to be, that previously reported stuff was resolved, etc.

That went away a long time ago.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/08/24 07:46
Author: randgust

I'm due to go on 448/9 in June.   Thanks for the tip on the windows, I'll grab some stuff to bring along.

I just got the email and phone blast on the no checked baggage thing.   Not a big deal for me anyway.

If you're a Godzilla movie fan there's a great line somewhere.... "Why is it always Tokyo!!!?"   
Here it's always "Why is it always Chicago????".

This is my annual trip, I watch these postings.   The one I liked the best was finding out you can get a hot dog and mac & cheese at Albany during the layover, when the cafe car is closed east of Albany, which was an unpleasant surprise on the last trip.

Date: 05/08/24 10:54
Author: Magritte55

I asked a question about dirty windows remotely at the last public board meeting in December.   Whoever was monitoring remote questions read mine aloud,  which surprised me.  I can't recall the verbal response off-hand with any precision;   it included something about the difficulties (logistical or technical?) in keeping washing windows,  generally an appalling response.  

One board member appeared remotely at the meeting and quoted an impressive-sounding statistic about the percentage of passengers who are first-time riders.  It would be interesting to see how many of those passengers would ride Amtrak again given the slipshod service as reflected by something as simple as failing to wash the windows.

Date: 05/08/24 20:47
Author: Drknow

Don’t call them Amjoke that’s mean.

You can’t wash a train car in the USA without a hazardous waste water treatment plant on site.

It’s hard to wash coaches.

Logistics.

Chicago.

Seattle.

New York.

Well I don’t know who should be responsible? 🤷‍♂️ (A new one)

Bigfoot hid the keys to the equipment.

Gremlins.

If the shoe fits…

Regards

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/08/24 21:32
Author: ProAmtrak

Ghosts of The Southern Pacific are still around, on a side note 5his is an example on the current Amtrak Leadership, save whatever they can just to gain bonuses instead of improving Amtrak!

Posted from Android

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0809 seconds