Home Open Account Help 236 users online

Passenger Trains > AMTK 11 New Scheme P42

Date: 05/09/24 13:10
AMTK 11 New Scheme P42
Author: jimB

Amtrak 138 on #11, Coast Starlight leaving San Jose in the latest scheme with ALC-42 305 trailing under the new Caltrain wires. In the background parked at the station are an Amtrak CA F59PHi, a soon to be gone Caltrain F40 and a set of new EMUs, not yet in service. The track on the far left is for the VTA trolley.

The second photo is a Caltrain commute with a soon to be gone F40, headed for Tamien station a short distance south. Getting photos of the original EMD F40s under the wires should be a short term opportunity. The MK F40s and MP36s will stay around for the Gilroy trains.

Jim B

Date: 05/09/24 20:20
Re: AMTK 11 New Scheme P42
Author: NFO

Nice post from the West San Carlos bridge, Jim!  New stuff, old stuff in the background, and the water tank!
Thanks, Norm.

Date: 05/10/24 09:11
Author: ExStarlightHog

I'm glad to see Amtrak has the P42 on the point where it belongs.  Amtrak should survey their engineers to see which they prefer on the point.  The Chargers would probably be distant second. 

Date: 05/10/24 11:51
Author: cchan006

Great stuff Jim! Long live the elevated angle here at San Carlos St. overpass - the wires don't get in the way here.

Date: 05/10/24 18:45
Author: westcoastrails

ExStarlightHog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm glad to see Amtrak has the P42 on the point
> where it belongs.  Amtrak should survey their
> engineers to see which they prefer on the point. 
> The Chargers would probably be distant second. 

Hitting a high centered, low boy semi trailer on a crossing, I'd be curious to see what they prefer. A P42, that has already done this a few times and held up very well, or a Charger where you sit low and in front of the trucks. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0393 seconds