Home Open Account Help 206 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak Photo Contest for 2005 Wall Calendar

Date: 05/18/04 11:30
Amtrak Photo Contest for 2005 Wall Calendar
Author: GenePoon

Amtrak Launches Photo Contest for 2005 Wall Calendar

It's time to pull out the camera and take your shot at having your
photograph featured on the 2005 Amtrak wall calendar.

You and rail fans everywhere are invited to enter the 2005 "Picture
Our Train" photo contest. The First Prize winner will receive a $1,000
travel voucher and photo credit on the calendar. The Second through
Fifth Prize winners will also receive travel vouchers.

To win, submit an original color photograph featuring an Amtrak train
with the current Amtrak logo and livery visible.

The contest is open to legal residents of the United States, 18 years
of age or older. All Amtrak employees and their families are eligible,
except the Calendar Contest Review Panel and Judges, Amtrak Marketing
employees (as listed on the company's organizational chart 10.2),
Amtrak Corporate Communications employees (chart 10.3). (Employees at Amtrak
advertising agencies and their families are also not eligible.)

Detailed entry rules can be found on the Amtrak Intranet home page by
clicking on the link found under Latest News (note that this is for Amtrak
employees and others with authorized Intranet access only). The rules will be
posted on the Amtrak Internet soon and published in the June 2004 issue of
Amtrak Ink. The contest ends July 30, 2004.

SAFETY FIRST! As always, Amtrak reminds all contestant participants
to stay out of danger – stay away from tracks and the railroad
right-of-way. Remember, trains move quickly and quietly. This contest
is not about putting yourself in danger. Do not
trespass on railroad property or on private property adjacent
to the railroad. Do not climb or approach railroad structures, towers,
or wires. Stay in public access areas, and away from railroad structures
and moving equipment – in stations, on sidewalks, or in parking
lots or on highway sidings—stay out of danger. Remember, tracks, trestles,
yards and equipment are private property – trespassers are subject to
arrest and fines.

-source: AMTRAK

Date: 05/18/04 11:34
Re: Amtrak Photo Contest for 2005 Wall Calendar

Thus far, nobody has thought about what happens if the winning photograph is of an Acela high speed trainset with the Trenton, NJ station (New Jersey Transit property) plainly visible in the background.

Would such a photo, and the lack of a "permit on file at NJ Transit" be evidence for prosecution of the winning photographer?

Just thinking out loud (and I know of a legally accessible public spot where such a photo could be taken).

-GP

Date: 05/18/04 12:06
Author: NE933

Hi, Gene. Does this new arrest procedure involve NJT and SEPTA only? Or is it wider spread?

Date: 05/18/04 13:20

Thus far I haven't heard of any actual arrests, and what happens as far as bluster and threats on the part of officialdom seems to involve New Jersey Transit.

I guess you have to be unlucky, too. On April 13 I spent the whole day riding and photographing the NJ Transit RiverLINE without difficulty. The RiverLINE operators KNEW I was photographing both the exterior and interior of the equipment, and several of the stations. Even at Trenton, I got photos of the delayed northbound Amtrak Silver Star from the southbound platform as I awaited a SEPTA R7 train back to Center City. No problems whatsoever on SEPTA, either, and this included photography from a spot off the platform at a SEPTA station.

I do know of a recent incident at Trenton, where a videographer was recording from the north end of the northbound platform. His videotape even includes the NJ Transit Police officer approaching him. Further details not for public disclosure since they may be the subject of future legal action, even though the incident did not result in an arrest. For info, however: the videographer left the camcorder running throughout his encounter and obtained an audio account of what was said by NJ Transit police and officials; fortunately they did not seize his camcorder and tape for investigation.

Date: 05/18/04 13:50
Author: OCtrainguy

I haven't heard anything about Septa myself. Just what I have been told and have been reading about NJT. It is interesting as how Amtrak owns the NEC, and NJT owns most of the stations here in NJ on the NEC. I know there are areas that are publicly accessible. This should be interesting.

Date: 05/18/04 23:37
Author: MILW261s3

I got a great excuse to tell the Amtrak police when they see me taking photos in Union Station now! I can say, "well, the Amtrak site wants me to take photos of your trains".

-Kevin

Date: 05/18/04 23:41

Arg!!! That sucks it has to be their current scheme. I dont try very hard with that one. But the Phase III, here we go:

Roosevelt Rd. Few Weeks ago. Train #347 the Illinois Zephyr.

Date: 05/19/04 10:08
Author: IC_2024

Nice shot--I used to love hanging out here, but now that I'm in CA I only get that chance when I come back to visit my folks.
In fall of '02, got some neat shots of the St. Louis F-units pulling the Champaign football special there. Also, a shots of Metra double-headed F-40's with long consist to U of I for the Bears game.

Date: 05/19/04 10:50
Author: thrucar

What's the deal with Roosevelt Road these days? I spent an entire day there in late September, 2001, taking pictures like the one above. A Chicago PD stopped across the roadway and watched me for a while, but did not approach me. After Spain, has "loitering" on Roosevelt Road become a no-no?

Date: 05/19/04 11:22
Author: RD10747

How about a photo of the Sunset Ltd stuck behind two or more UP drags in southern New Mexico!!!

Date: 05/19/04 14:43

Go to Roosevelt Rd. and take all the photos you want. I have not been bugged there by anyone.

-Kevin

Date: 05/22/04 06:57
Re: Roosevelt rd bridge
Author: jim55

The darn city moved the "Maxwell Street Flee market" To Canal street so on Sat and Sunday, you can't find a parking place close to that location. Jim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0591 seconds