Home Open Account Help 244 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak #4 at Sullivan's Curve (in daylight)

Date: 06/10/04 23:21
Amtrak #4 at Sullivan's Curve (in daylight)
Author: David.Curlee

Thanks to the generousity of a friend, I was able to use his Nikon Coolscan 4000 today. Never before have I scanned slides, so I'm just now learning how. Thanks for being patient with me. By the way, I would be most appreciative of suggestions for Photoshop editing.

Anyway, the attached picture is of Amtrak train #4 on Sullivan's Curve. If you're unfamiliar with the schedule, this shot is normally impossible. Usually, the train passes through here about 11-12 hours earlier in darkness. On this date - April 25, 2001 - Amtrak #4 of the previous night departed Los Angeles over 12 hours late. Inbound train #3 was extremely late, and in addition, several equipment problems accounted for the 12 hour delay.

Now, if you care, here is my part of the story. A friend called me that morning saying that #4 was almost into Fullerton (the time was around 7:00am). I quickly got dressed and went to the Fullerton Depot, a few minutes from home. As I arrived, the train was pulling away, ruining my chance for a photo. Since this was so rare, I was mad that I had missed it. As I headed for home, I said screw it, I'm going to Cajon for a picture of this train. So I did. Unfortunately, I failed to note what time #4 left Fullerton. Thus, I could only "guesstimate" what time it would be at Sullivan's Curve. To further complicate matters, I was in heavy traffic on SR-60. Still, I figured to be well ahead of train #4. As I was making the interchange between the I-15 and I-215 at Devore, I glanced over toward the Keenbrook crossovers. Oh crap. Here I was, pacing #4 up I-15.

Needless to say, the rocket engines on my Toyota Tacoma were now lit. I flew up to SR-138 as fast as possible, went west to the Palmdale Cutoff, and then followed the adjacent forest service road down toward Sullivan's Curve. By the time I got there, I could see the Superliners rounding the first leg of the curve from Cajon Station. My self-inflicted dust storm began to settle just in time, and somehow, I was marginally successful. The end result is below:

Date: 06/10/04 23:59
Re: Amtrak #4 at Sullivan's Curve (in daylight)
Author: southlandwarrior

Fantastic catch, dude...can't be too many shots out there of a sunlit #4 in Cajon...a rarity indeed! As for the scan, it looks just a tad bright on my screen - try experimenting with the Levels tool to tweak it. But otherwise, pretty darn good. Thanks for sharing.

Date: 06/11/04 00:21
Author: LenKratz

Neat photo, David. Is Cajon "open" now?

LK

Date: 06/11/04 04:30
Author: UP4526

LenKratz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Neat photo, David. Is Cajon "open" now?
>
> LK

NO but some Railfan's and bikers think so .

Date: 06/11/04 12:13
Author: lrvto

The photo was taken in April 2001 or so it says in the story.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0366 seconds