Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Passenger Trains > Hotel In Vicinity of Denver Train Station

Date: 07/11/04 18:17
Hotel In Vicinity of Denver Train Station
Author: jp1822

I am planning a summer vacation that will involve flying into Denver, CO and then catching the CA Zephyr westbound the following morning. Any suggestions on hotels close to the train station? How far is downtown to the train station? Easy cab ride? I haven't been to Denver in years. I will literally just be spending the night, but looking for a nice hotel.

Date: 07/11/04 18:31
Re: Hotel In Vicinity of Denver Train Station
Author: RMISeattle

I'm very fond of the Oxford Hotel. Which, if you've a good arm, is a stone's throw from Union Station. They have some very good online rates (www.theoxfordhotel.com) and I actually prefer it to the Brown Palace.

- Steve

jp1822 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am planning a summer vacation that will involve
> flying into Denver, CO and then catching the CA
> Zephyr westbound the following morning. Any
> suggestions on hotels close to the train station?
> How far is downtown to the train station? Easy cab
> ride? I haven't been to Denver in years. I will
> literally just be spending the night, but looking
> for a nice hotel.

Date: 07/11/04 19:18
Author: GBNorman

Price not that much of an object? Go for the Brown Palace. Be sure to stay in the old building (it has full amenities).

More than a stone's throw from DUT, but still only a walk.

Date: 07/11/04 19:32
Author: SPB

I've stated at the Oxford a couple of times. Good restuarants nearby. It't within two blocks of Union Station and Coors Field if you are a baseball fan. You could probably remain at the hotel until the Zephyr arrived, assuming it is not too late and doesn't push you up against the hotel's checkout time.

SPB Gerry

Date: 07/11/04 20:58
Author: wheel_slip

Although I haven't stayed there is many years, the choice for the railfan in Denver was the LaQuinta Inn Central... It was / is right accross from the BNSF Denver yard... A room in the back on the third floor provided train watching action 24 hours a day...

Date: 07/11/04 21:30
Author: FiveChime

Both the Oxford and the place by the yard are good. But the Oxford is right next to the station and the other place is near the yard, some distance away.

Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 07/12/04 04:46
Author: prr60

My wife and I stayed at the Oxford in May and highly recommend it. We were not heading out on Amtrak during that stay, but the only way you could stay closer to Union Station would be to sleep on a bench in the waiting room.

The Oxford is a beautifully restored building offering distinctive rooms. The hotel is located in the Lower Downtown (LoDo) area of Denver with has a wide variety of restaurants and clubs in walking distance. If the Rockies are playing at home, Coors Field is just three blocks away.

This is not an inexpensive hotel, but we feel it is worth the money. Check the hotel web site for internet special rates, usually in the $150 range, although sometimes less. These rates are not offered by phone, but if you ask they will match the web specials.

Date: 07/12/04 06:35
Author: GBNorman

An off-topic aside; it appears from discussion here that the area along Wynkoop Street near DUT has become a "re-emerged" entertainment district like River North here in Chicago or Tri-Be-Ca in New York.

Date: 07/12/04 10:24
Author: geoffm

Denver stations is right at the bottom of the downtown area. There are free buses taking you from the station right up the length of the pedestrianised area.

Right across from the station is a great restauraunt/pub. If you sit outside you can see the eastbound Zephyr arriving and departing (on a good day anyway). They serve "proper" beers and hearty food.

Geoff M.

Date: 07/12/04 16:24
Author: jp1822

Thanks for all the suggestions - I really appreciate it! I am going to stay at the Oxford. These seems most convenient in addition to looking like a great hotel.

Date: 07/12/04 18:45
Author: RuleG

geoffm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Denver stations is right at the bottom of the
> downtown area. There are free buses taking you
> from the station right up the length of the
> pedestrianised area.
>
> Right across from the station is a great
> restauraunt/pub. If you sit outside you can see
> the eastbound Zephyr arriving and departing (on a
> good day anyway). They serve "proper" beers and
> hearty food.
>
> Geoff M.

The name of that place is Wyncoop Brewing Company and I highly recommend it. There is outdoor seating from which you may see the rear of the east bound California Zephyr pull in and out of the station. While there is no railroad decor, a brand called Rail Yard Ale is served.

A few blocks away (towards the ballpark) is a steak house in what appears to be a former Union Pacific freight house with some vintage UP photographs

The shuttle buses operate on the 16th mall from Union Station towards the state capital area. Also operating from Union Station is the C Line of Denver's Light Rail Transit system.

If you like bookstores, check out the the Tattered Cover Book Store which is on 16th St a block or so form Union Station. It has a wonderful travel section and carries some railroad books.

As a railroad enthusiast who loves cities, the LoDo area of Denver is a true gem.

Dave

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0507 seconds