Home Open Account Help 195 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak Dash 8 in Phase V?

Date: 01/10/05 16:55
Amtrak Dash 8 in Phase V?
Author: southlandwarrior

An improvement over the current Phase IV paint job? Still needs a logo on the hood but the idea is there.

Date: 01/10/05 17:02
Re: Amtrak Dash 8 in Phase V?
Author: GenePoon

I say bring back the Pepsi Can.

Date: 01/10/05 18:15
Author: indyspy

You will not see anything other then a P40DC, P42DC, or a P32AC-DM in the "Shamu" scheme. A talk with the locomotive foreman at Beech Grive revealed that the SHamu scheme is really a big decal of sorts. This decal will not fit any thing else then a P body GE.

In fact B32-8WH 518 was repainted after a wreck into Phave IV AFTER the shamu scheme began to be aplied to the P series GEs. Though I suspect that any future repaints on these units will be the more simple silver switcher scheme.

Date: 01/10/05 18:24
Author: GP25

What happen to 518?

Date: 01/10/05 18:33

Well, I more or less based my Dash 8 paint job on Amtrak's new GP15 switcher that was photographed a few days ago.

Check out the pics below at http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,845967

It's basically the same paint job, just applied a little differently, and with a larger "three sheets" logo. I dunno how the Shamu wave would look on a Dash 8. :)

indyspy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You will not see anything other then a P40DC,
> P42DC, or a P32AC-DM in the "Shamu" scheme. A talk
> with the locomotive foreman at Beech Grive
> revealed that the SHamu scheme is really a big
> decal of sorts. This decal will not fit any thing
> else then a P body GE.
>
> In fact B32-8WH 518 was repainted after a wreck
> into Phave IV AFTER the shamu scheme began to be
> aplied to the P series GEs. Though I suspect that
> any future repaints on these units will be the
> more simple silver switcher scheme.

Date: 01/10/05 18:34
Ok, how 'bout a P-42 in the ....
Author: TopcoatSmith

.... Pepsi Can scheme ??? Anybody up that bit of online artestry ???

TCS - train in vain.

Date: 01/10/05 18:34

Now with a logo!

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 01/10/05 18:38
Author: highgreengraphics

Pepsi cans - one of the best images they had, then ppphhhhhhttt! - All of a sudden, it was gone! With all that masking, I am sure it would not have been maintained. - - - JLH

Date: 01/10/05 20:48
Author: indyspy

518 hit something rather hard (a truck I think) on the Monon while on the point of 851 Indy to Chicago train.

The scheme on the GP15 is whats called the "Silver" switcher scheme. It lacks the big fancy wave as seen on the P body GEs.

Your paint up (near as I can tell as all I can see is the blasted thumbnail) looks like the silver switcher scheme. Though I suspect the three sheets logo will be a smaller one on the cab sides.

Date: 01/11/05 13:43
Re: indyspy
Author: NI030

I thought Amtrak was looking to dispose of the Dash 8's. If thats the case the only Amtrak color scheme they may get painted into is this one...

Date: 01/11/05 14:02
Author: GP25

Say why not do a Dash 8 in a Surfliner or even a Daylight Paint Scheme? I would think they would look nice in the Daylight or Surfliner Scheme

Date: 01/11/05 15:32
Author: Evan_Werkema

GP25 Wrote:

> Say why not do a Dash 8 in a Surfliner or even a
> Daylight Paint Scheme? I would think they would
> look nice in the Daylight or Surfliner Scheme

If I recall correctly, 501 and 502 (now 2051 and 2052) were assigned to the San Diegans (now Surfliners) when new. They accelerated too slowly to keep the schedule, so they were sent north to pull the San Joaquins, whose route includes longer runs in between stops.

I'm not a big fan of Phase V/Shamu. The dismal gray and dark blue scheme just doesn't make the trains look inviting, and the curve doesn't work with the shape of the locomotive, let alone the equipment following the locomotive.

I do like Phase IV; Amtrak finally got stripes "right" with Phase IV in my opinion. If only the whole 121-207 group had been delivered in Phase IV instead of just 121 and 122...

Date: 01/11/05 18:57
Author: sjh92705

Evan_Werkema Wrote:
> If I recall correctly, 501 and 502 (now 2051 and
> 2052) were assigned to the San Diegans (now
> Surfliners) when new. They accelerated too slowly
> to keep the schedule, so they were sent north to
> pull the San Joaquins, whose route includes longer
> runs in between stops.

That is correct....when the P32's were bought, Caltrans actually picked up the tab for two of them. 501 and 502 actually had Caltrains logos on them, on the nose sides; the other 18 units did not.

Date: 01/11/05 19:46
Author: Bumping_Post

518??

Do you mean 508....

508 hit a semi at speed in (2001?) just north of Crawfordville on the Monon. I read they closed the parallel highway cause all the debris from the truck.

Does anybody else remember this?

Date: 01/12/05 01:04
Author: espeeboy

blechhhhh! Phase IV with stripes done right?!? C'mon Werkema.

Phase IV was a major design step backward for Amtrak completely biting off of the Boeing "demo" or test airliner paint scheme ALMOST EXACTLY! Very 1980's (old) and of course created by Amtrak in the 90's! I agree, the Shamu curve or wave or tail on the P42's doesn't exactly work on the long loaf of bread P42 carbody. It flat out looks weird when they are MU'ed back to back (although okay when going solo). But the all blue dipping down up front with the gray sill and red stripe in my eyes is very attractive and something both aesthetically pleasing and functional (the blue and silver show up head on a lot better to motorists then thing stripes on platinum mist). If all of the Genesis P42 line had been delivered in phase IV, I might never shoot an Amtrak train. Phase three in fading P40 fat red white and blue lines and solid phase 3 lines was very nice and fit for the series. Phase V almost got back to that fitting look for the P42 with the blue comign down to a fat point on the lower nose, the dark (SP) gray on the angled lower sill and roof and the large flying sheets breaking up the flat sides on the hoodside.

Too bad Gunn and management went back to boring phase IV(b) stripes for all rebuilt/repainted rolling stock. Gotta say that it did make sense economically to match up with the bulk of the (boring) fleet already done in late 90's phase IV stripes.

~~~

Evan_Werkema Wrote:
>
> I'm not a big fan of Phase V/Shamu. The dismal
> gray and dark blue scheme just doesn't make the
> trains look inviting, and the curve doesn't work
> with the shape of the locomotive, let alone the
> equipment following the locomotive.
>
> I do like Phase IV; Amtrak finally got stripes
> "right" with Phase IV in my opinion. If only the
> whole 121-207 group had been delivered in Phase IV
> instead of just 121 and 122...

Date: 01/12/05 20:14
Author: Evan_Werkema

espeeboy Wrote:

> But the all blue dipping down up front with the gray sill
> and red stripe in my eyes is very attractive and something
> both aesthetically pleasing and functional (the blue
> and silver show up head on a lot better to
> motorists then thing stripes on platinum mist).

You're telling me a locomotive whose front is almost entirely dark blue is more visible to motorists than one that is almost all silver? Uh-hmmm...shall we commission a study? To me, that blue and gray just sinks into the ballast, especially on cloudy days. Against green trees, a bright locomotive is going to show up better than a dark one. As for the Shamu curve, it reminds me of those warships of WWI that were painted with outlandish patterns to make them hard for submarines to target. I'd prefer that locomotives weren't camouflaged. I agree that Phase V is functional...it doesn't show dirt as much as Phase IV, and it's reportedly cheaper to apply.

> Phase three in fading P40 fat red white and blue
> lines and solid phase 3 lines was very nice and
> fit for the series.

Phase III stripes were okay, but the fade-out stripe didn't really accomplish what its designers had hoped. It ended up looking like a permanent mud splash or a cheap decal fading in the sunlight. The solid stripe worked better from my perspective.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0554 seconds