Home Open Account Help 277 users online

Passenger Trains > MNCR FL9AC's??

Date: 04/22/05 23:16
MNCR FL9AC's??
Author: davew833

I understand that some or all of Metro-North's 'Starship' FL9AC's, extensively rebuilt in the early '90s and converted from AC to DC, have now been scrapped after less than 10 years of service. Meanwhile, some 'unrebuilt' FL9's still soldier on for ConnDOT and other carriers. Does anyone have any information on why the FL9AC's were such tremendous failures? Are any still in service? What a huge waste of money and a sad end for such historic locomotives...

Date: 04/23/05 04:10
Re: MNCR FL9AC's??
Author: Jaap

Not all are scrapped yet but all are on scrapline.
The FL9ac's were experimental units and not a big succes. their pulling power was great but the ABB electonics and european relays were a maintenance nightmare.
They had been sidelined for over 4 years now with only one being used in winter at Harmon as yard HEP source to keep cars warm.

Date: 04/23/05 05:18

Here is shot of Micas computer in back wall of cab.

Date: 04/23/05 05:22

Here is controls of a FL9ac, the crews called them the starships due to all the blinking lights and gauges on back wall of cab and loads of lights etc to watch on control stand.

Date: 04/23/05 15:13
Author: highgreengraphics

Good grief, a desktop control stand in an "F" unit...PTUI!

Date: 04/23/05 22:46
Author: Red

highgreengraphics Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good grief, a desktop control stand in an "F"
> unit...PTUI!

It is interesting to see this setup in an F. I like the UPRR E-9's, which use an AAR SD40-2 control stand. Not traditional, but, makes them more user-friendly so that the greenest hoghead off the extraboard can run them if called upon to do so. Interestingly, if E's had remained in production for one or two more years, they'd have gotten an SD40 type control stand, as the last batch of FL-9's built were delivered in this way (saw it in a Trains photo from years ago).

A lot of you may not know it, but the KCS Executive F-units were rebuilt with desktop control stands.

Interesting to see a lever type horn on there, Jaap. But, being quite familiar with the desktop control stand, that's the strangest looking throttle I've ever seen. That is, it appears to move in one direction, not centered like a standard unit, where you pull it back for power, and push forward for the dynamic braking. How do you use dynamics on these? Is there a seperate switch, or something?

Date: 04/24/05 01:18

On Commuter trains we don't use Dynamic Brake as a sepperate brake.
the Dynamic is set up as Blended brake and will automaticly function when air is set.

Date: 04/25/05 01:25
Author: Red

Jaap Wrote:
> On Commuter trains we don't use Dynamic Brake as a
> sepperate brake.
> the Dynamic is set up as Blended brake and will
> automaticly function when air is set.

Thanks, Jaap. I wondered if that wasn't the case. Of course, on Amtrak, blended braking is also used, but provision is made for pure dynamic braking only, when that is need (such as Raton or Cajon Pass). I guess in commute service the instances are rare that you would use the DB only, but it is strange that they had this somewhat unique setup. For example, the Metro North Gennys...I suppose they are set up like the Amtrak GE's...that is, if you wanted to, you have the so-called combined power/dynamic brake handle, just like on a freight unit with the desktop controls?

Date: 04/25/05 04:34

No even on MNCR genny's only throttle no DB, and the bail off feature is turned off so we can't cheat and ruin the wheels

Date: 04/25/05 05:57
Author: DavidP

Red Wrote:
Interestingly, if E's had remained in
> production for one or two more years, they'd have
> gotten an SD40 type control stand, as the last
> batch of FL-9's built were delivered in this way
> (saw it in a Trains photo from years ago).

I don't doubt the accuracy of your statement about the types of contol stands used, but the last FL9s where produced in 1960, while the last E9 was delivered to the Milwaukee Road in 1964.

Dave

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0619 seconds