Home Open Account Help 343 users online

Passenger Trains > Private Cars on #6

Date: 09/05/05 10:21
Private Cars on #6
Author: WichitaJct

Yesterday's #6 out of Omaha had private car "Mettis" painted very nicely in the GTW scheme. The car carried a small CN reporting mark and #. Is this car still owned by CN? Today's # 6 had a dome and another private car that are apparently owned and/or operated by "Creative Tours" or something like that. What they had done to the dome was almost blasphemous--they had built an obesrvation end on one end. Someone should tell those bozos that only heavyweight cars were meant to have observation ends!! Does anyone know the history of that dome or the company? Thanks.

Date: 09/05/05 12:31
Re: Private Cars on #6
Author: huskerjim

Unfortunately, both trains were late, but at least I was able to enjoy both trains and the PV's as they went by our house at lower speeds due to slow orders nearby.

I love the idea of the the open end on the dome car. What a way to travel. Also, there were express cars on the trains to deter the PV's.

Date: 09/05/05 16:18
Author: Anonymous User

Metis belongs to Ron Dyer and can be booked through a number of agencies including mine.Rent-a-train.com
We met the Metis in Chicago....due in at 3:20 pm was almost 6 hours late. The car is going into service for the next 6 months for use by a major insurance company doing disaster assistance along with about 27 other private cars I'm told. Metis will arrive in Kansas City tonight from Chicago.

Date: 09/05/05 20:58
Author: meh

WichitaJct Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yesterday's #6 out of Omaha had private car
> "Mettis" [sic] painted very nicely in the GTW scheme.
> The car carried a small CN reporting mark and #.
> Is this car still owned by CN?

I posted a few photos (some worse, soem better) of the "Metis" and a link to an article about it and its owner in the latter half of this thread.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,983870

> Today's # 6 had a
> dome and another private car that are apparently
> owned and/or operated by "Creative Tours" or
> something like that. [...] Does anyone know the
> history of that dome or the company? Thanks.

I believe the dome was originally a UP car. It is scheduled to run from Chicago to Milwaukee on #341(07SEP05). I will try to find out more while it is here.

The owner is Creative Charters, Inc., in suburban Houston, TX. See photos and information about the cars at:

http://www.phcp.com/creativeincentives.htm

Date: 09/06/05 06:45
Author: Anonymous User

Check the roster on the AAPRCO site for information on the Dome Car with observation platform. You'll find it.

Date: 09/06/05 12:21
Author: agentatascadero

On a recent trip aboard Tioga Pass there was discussion about the best seats on a train, clearly number 1 is the engineer's seat. 2 and 3 would be the dome seat or the rear (open)platform, or, for you "sissies", ride inside in the blunt end or teardrop in a streamlined observation car. I think the combined dome/open platform offers the best of both worlds, and is perhaps the opposite of blasphemy. While I love heavyweights (try retrofitting a dome on one of those!), I think my ideal private car would be the Sierra Hotel, yes a dome/open platform car. I guess number 4 on my list would be any open vestibule, or baggage car door. Maybe we need a top 10...5 and 6 might be dinner in the diner, and the view from your sleeping car (Pullman?) bed.

Date: 09/06/05 15:56
Author: filmteknik

Is there a watercloset...in a dome...with a view? I mean if you want maximum comfort and best view... LOL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0554 seconds